PDA

View Full Version : Suzue axle not straight???

KnowFear
December 16th 03, 05:44 AM
I just got a new wheelset. I suspect that there is a problem with the
Suzue hub. Both bearings wobble as the wheel is turned. I noticed it
at first when I spun the wheel holding onto the bearings - there was a
noticeable wobble. I thought it was my imagination, so I mounted the
wheel in the frame with the frame clamped to my bicycle stand. I spun
the wheel and the wobble was very noticeable visually. There are only
two possible causes - either both bearings are cocked on the axle, or
the hub axle is not straight. I can't imagine that the bearings are
cocked, so I'm left to conclude that the hub is faulty.

Has anyone encountered this problem?:(

--
KnowFear

Chris... who DOES have a WMD (Wheel of Mass Dismounts).
KnowFear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4483

joemarshall
December 16th 03, 09:48 AM
KnowFear wrote:
> *I just got a new wheelset. I suspect that there is a problem with
> the Suzue hub. Both bearings wobble as the wheel is turned. I
> noticed it at first when I spun the wheel holding onto the bearings -
> there was a noticeable wobble. I thought it was my imagination, so I
> mounted the wheel in the frame with the frame clamped to my bicycle
> stand. I spun the wheel and the wobble was very noticeable visually.
> There are only two possible causes - either both bearings are cocked
> on the axle, or the hub axle is not straight. I can't imagine that
> the bearings are cocked, so I'm left to conclude that the hub is
> faulty.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem?:( *

It might be a broken hub, but the most likely things are

a) the wheel isn't true, this could look like a wobble in the bearings
relative to the wheel.

b) the bearings aren't pushed on fully.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

KnowFear
December 16th 03, 02:40 PM
Joe - the wheel is perfectly true. If it wasn't, then the rim would
wobble relative to frame (it doesn't) when mounted in the frame. The
bearings are pressed on as far as they will go. What else can there be
but a bent axle?

Chris

--
KnowFear

Chris... who DOES have a WMD (Wheel of Mass Dismounts).
KnowFear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4483

U-Turn
December 16th 03, 03:09 PM
> * so I mounted the wheel in the frame with the frame clamped to my
> bicycle stand. I spun the wheel and the wobble was very noticeable
> visually.*

> * If it wasn't, then the rim would wobble relative to frame (it
> doesn't) when mounted in the frame. *
Hmmm..... which is it? :confused:

--
U-Turn - Wholly Roller

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

KnowFear
December 16th 03, 03:25 PM
Sorry for the confusion - the wobble that I'm referring to is the wobble
of the bearings. The rim runs true. I strongly suspect that the axle
is bent - which I find surprising since Suzue hubs are supposed to be
high-quality.

--
KnowFear

Chris... who DOES have a WMD (Wheel of Mass Dismounts).
KnowFear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4483

joemarshall
December 16th 03, 03:57 PM
I still don't understand how you can tell the difference between a
non-true wheel and the axle being bent? Wouldn't both have the same
effect of making the whole wheel wobble when put in the frame?

I'd be surprised if the axle came bent as new, but its always a
possibility. As is a dodgy or broken bearing.

I'd still say most likely is an almost perfectly put on bearing that
just isn't quite pushed on enough on one side? A tiny little bit of
unevenness is enough to make the wheel wobble.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

harper
December 16th 03, 05:48 PM
Do you notice this wobble when spinning the wheel fast and holding onto
the frame? That would be caused by the pedals (imbalance) rotating with
the wheel. If you turn the wheel slowly do you notice the same effect?

Before you put the wheel on the frame I would guess there were no pedals
or cranks mounted, just the bearings. If so, when you spun the wheel it
behaved like a gyroscope and resisted a change in the orientation of the
axle. If you tried to move the axle it would exert a force against your
motion and feel like it was wobbling. Is this what you experienced? This
same effect would be noticeable with wheel and bearings in the frame and
no cranks on the axle.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"... is it better to have the seat too high, or too low?" -supertones

KnowFear
December 16th 03, 06:14 PM
Clearly, I'm not making myself understood. Let me try again.

I have a new wheel: a 700c rim built with a Suzue hub. The bare
wheelset is mounted in the frame, without a tire, and without cranks.
When I spin the wheel, the rim runs perfectly true relative to the
frame. The problem is that both bearings wobble back and forth as the
wheel turns. I believe that there are only two possibilities: (1) both
of the bearings are not concentric with the axle, or (2) the axle is
bent (not straight).

The bearings are fully seated. The bearing/axle interference fit is so
snug that the likelihood of a cocked bearing is virtually nil.

Has anyone encountered this problem with a new Suzue hub?

--
KnowFear

Chris... who DOES have a WMD (Wheel of Mass Dismounts).
KnowFear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4483

john_childs
December 16th 03, 09:45 PM
KnowFear wrote:
> *The bearings are fully seated. The bearing/axle interference fit is
> so snug that the likelihood of a cocked bearing is virtually nil.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem with a new Suzue hub? *

The bearings may be nice and snug, but they can still be off-kilter or
off-center on the axle. I have pressed bearings on a hub and messed up
the process such that a bearing was off-kilter and damaged. It happens.
The solution was to pull off the bearing I had damaged and replace it
with a new one.

It is so easy to damage a bearing while pressing it on that it is not
unusual to accidentally damage one. The easiest way to damage a bearing
is to have your tool slip and put force on the bearing seal. You must
be careful to only put force on the inner race of the bearing while
pressing it on. Never use something that can slip and put force on the
seal. A short section of a 22.2 mm seatpost can work to press a bearing
on. Or find some other short piece of tubing that has the right ID and
OD to press the bearing on without risking damage to the seal if the
pipe or your tool slips.

Pull off the bearings. Spin the bearingless wheel in a stand and see if
there is any wobble in the hub. Now check the bearings to try to see if
one is damaged. Pulling the bearings off the hub can damage them so you
may have to replace both bearings with brand new ones. Carefully press
the bearings back on. I would suggest using Loctite Sleeve Retainer
when you press the bearings back on. The sleeve retainer will keep the
bearings from slipping later on. If both bearings are in good shape
your wheel should be in good shape with no more wobble.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

mike.hinson
December 17th 03, 09:53 PM
Hi,
I have built a fair number of wheels with Suzue hubs & the wobbling of
bearings as you describe is something I have noticed too. I believe the
reason is that the suzue hub does not always have a nice square seat for
the bearing to be pressed onto, consequently the bearing may end up very
slightly out of line. In practice it dosn't seem to cause any problems
but I think your best way to get it perfect is to pull the bearing back
off it's (uneven) seat by the smallest amount.

/\/\

--
mike.hinson - Unicyclist since Nov 2000

"...they all began to chant "You ride a baby bike!!" over and over and
over. Then their chant turned into "you have no hair!!" Which made
absolutely no sense at all. It was hilarious." -- Ender
mike.hinson's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1652

uni-man-dan
December 18th 03, 03:32 AM
> Suzue axle not straight???

you hafta support your axle in its decision.

--
uni-man-dan - http://www.thedan.com

http://www.thedan.com

uni-man-dan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/464

KnowFear
December 18th 03, 09:13 PM
mike.hinson wrote:
> *Hi,
> I have built a fair number of wheels with Suzue hubs & the wobbling of
> bearings as you describe is something I have noticed too. I believe
> the reason is that the suzue hub does not always have a nice square
> seat for the bearing to be pressed onto, consequently the bearing may
> end up very slightly out of line. In practice it dosn't seem to cause
> any problems but I think your best way to get it perfect is to pull
> the bearing back off it's (uneven) seat by the smallest amount.
>
> /\/\ *

Thanks Mike. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I did
notice that neither of the shoulders on the axle are fully square. I
would try your suggestion, but last night I sent the wheel back to the
dealer to get it sorted out. Hopefully I won't have to wait too long to
finally get this 29er ready to ride.

--
KnowFear

Chris... who DOES have a WMD (Wheel of Mass Dismounts).
KnowFear's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4483

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home