PDA

View Full Version : Re: Big Apple Tire for Yuni 29er, clarify please

Memphis Mud
December 16th 03, 05:09 PM
Digging around past threads, I found reference to the 'Big Apple Tire'
(http://tinyurl.com/zhlp) .

It says its 28 x 2.35. Will this fit on my 'Yuni 29er'
(http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=646) ?

Tire says 28. Specs for Yuni says 700c rim. But its refered to as
29er.

Somebody set me straight.

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

calvin
December 16th 03, 05:21 PM
I have a big apple (28x2.35) mounted on the standard 700C rim that comes
with the Nimbus II (Yuni) 28" Unicycle. The tyre does look wide on the
rim but it works fine. I am still playing with pressures to get itjust
right butit makes for a really smooth road ride.

--
calvin
calvin's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/826

joemarshall
December 16th 03, 08:12 PM
29er is the same as 700c and in most cases is the same as 28" - except
for a few dodgy unicycles still being sold with funny sized 28" rims.

To check, look on your tyre. If it says "622" on it anywhere, then its
the same size as the big apple.

It definately fits in the frame (I use it in a Nimbus II).

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

johnfoss
December 16th 03, 08:49 PM
700c is the nominal common size for road bikes these days. The actual
size of a mounted tire then depends on how "fat" the tire is; how much
diameter it adds to the rim. Smaller tires will be in the 28" range,
like on my hybrid ride-to-work Miyata Triple Cross. Fatter tires will be
closer to 29" diameter.

It's important, as someone mentioned, to make sure your tire is made for
a 700c rim, and not some older, or odder size. Most newer tires should
fit 700c, but it's a good idea to check!

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

Klaas Bil
December 17th 03, 07:01 AM
On Tue, 16 Dec 2003 11:09:59 -0600, Memphis Mud
om> wrote:

>It says its 28 x 2.35. Will this fit on my 'Yuni 29er'?

Definitely. Here <www.xs4all.nl/~klaasbil/combi_s.jpg> is a pic of my
Yuni 28" frame with the stock 35 mm wide tyre and with the Big Apple
28 x 2.35.

After the conversion it is called a 29'er because the diameter
increased by about an inch.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

Klaas Bil
December 18th 03, 05:23 AM
Memphis Mud wrote:
> *It says its 28 x 2.35. Will this fit on my Yuni 29er?
>
> Tire says 28. But its refered to as 29er. *

My reply with a link to a pic was posted on Usenet but didn't get
through here. I'll post the pic directly, it's the stock 35 mm wide tyre
and the Big Apple.

In my case the rollout diameter increased from 27.07 inch to 29.20
inch.

Klaas Bil

| Attachment filename: combi_s.jpg |
|Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/178920|

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
Klaas Bil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3442

Memphis Mud
December 18th 03, 04:10 PM
Thanks folks.

I ordered one from Schwalbe Tires in Canada. She sounded like it would
be here for christmas! Can't wait...

I'll be sure to post my review.

The lady took all my info and I said "so that'll be $34.40?" She said
"$68.80 for two"... You can fill in the rest.:D

--
Memphis Mud - Student of GrandMaster 2T

Mantra: Avoid Hitting Tailbone...Avoid Hitting Tailbone...
Memphis Mud's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1987

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home