PDA

View Full Version : more bearings

TheObieOne3226
December 18th 03, 08:24 PM
ok so im gonna buy bearings. do i absolutely need a bearing extractor
oris it possible to pull them off without it? also what is the
difference between rubber and metal seadled(besides the obvious). Which
do you recommend i buy? they are the same price.

PS one of my bearings is already off the seat. do i absolutely need to
loctite it on?

--
TheObieOne3226 - Extreme Halfb*ker

Muah!

I'm posting for you, James_Potter!

one wheeled stallion
December 18th 03, 08:36 PM
I use a small soft (plastic or rubber) hammer and tap the bearing gently
around the edges and they come off after a minute!

--
one wheeled stallion - Getting There! :-)

OWS
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

TheObieOne3226
December 18th 03, 08:37 PM
thansk ill try it. you mean around the circumference of the bearing
right?

--
TheObieOne3226 - Extreme Halfb*ker

Muah!

I'm posting for you, James_Potter!

john_childs
December 19th 03, 05:50 AM
The metal sealed bearings have less rolling resistance than the rubber
sealed bearings, but the metal sealed ones don't seal dirt and water as
well as the rubber sealed flavor.

Use rubber sealed bearings on a unicycle that you ride outdoors in the
elements. Use metal sealed bearings on a freestyle unicycle that you
primarily ride indoors.

If the bearing is tight on the hub you're going to need a bearing
puller. If the bearing is not so tight you may be able to tap it off
using a hammer and some other tool or wedge. Just be careful not to
damage the hub or the flange. Using a bearing puller is much much
easier and is the recommened way to remove the bearing.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Klaas Bil
December 19th 03, 06:58 AM
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:36:37 -0600, one wheeled stallion
cyclist.com> wrote:

>I use a small soft (plastic or rubber) hammer and tap the bearing gently
>around the edges and they come off after a minute!

The kind of bearings we speak of are not designed to take significant
lateral stress between the inner and outer race. It would be OK if you
tap the inner race (but how?), or if you tap real gently. But if it
doesn't easily come off, a bearing puller is the way to go.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

Tmornstar
December 19th 03, 12:11 PM
I think that a bearing puller is well-worth the investment. I use mine
often. The bearings often do not stay put and you have to make slight
adjustments. Pounding on (or off) a bearing is often tough. I have
damaged the flange of the hub trying to get a bearing off without a
bearing puller. If the cost is a barrier to using a puller, barrow one
from a bud or go in together to get one with other unicyclists in your
area's club. (Don't have a club? Start one!) I think that tools are one
of the best investments that you could ever make. I still use the tools
that I got when I was 12 - 36 years ago. I assure you, that bearing
puller that you are eyeing will out live you!

Tommy

--
Tmornstar - Student of Christopher

Tommy Thompson