PDA

View Full Version : 24" frame or 26"?

one wheeled stallion
December 18th 03, 08:51 PM
If a 24x3.0" tyre has the same diameter as a regular 26" wheel and fits
into a 24" frame, will a 26x2.6" fit into one?? Or will that need a
26-28" frame?

Cheers!

--
one wheeled stallion - Getting There! :-)

OWS
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

Krashin'Kenny
December 18th 03, 10:35 PM
The 24x3" Nokian Gazz has the same diameter as a 26" tire and will not
fit into some 24" frames. Most 24" MUni frames will accept other 24x 3"
tires. I had to use a 26" Yuni Muni frame to clear the Gazz's higher
profile.
I would imagine clearance shouldn't be a problem with a 26" frame if it
is a MUni frame

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

muniracer
December 18th 03, 11:43 PM
ive seen a gazzo fit onto a 24" Yuni frame

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns XWonka!
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

Krashin'Kenny
December 19th 03, 01:53 AM
muniracer wrote:
> *ive seen a gazzo fit onto a 24" Yuni frame *

One of the guys here in town tried to put a 3"Gazz on his 24" Yuni and
it was too tall and hit on the crown. That's why uni.com recommneds
getting a 26" frame when you upgrade to the Gazz

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Klaas Bil
December 19th 03, 06:59 AM
On Thu, 18 Dec 2003 19:53:35 -0600, Krashin'Kenny
. com> wrote:

>One of the guys here in town tried to put a 3"Gazz on his 24" Yuni and
>it was too tall and hit on the crown. That's why uni.com recommneds
>getting a 26" frame when you upgrade to the Gazz

Oh shoot, there goes my little upgrade plan.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

mango
December 19th 03, 08:58 AM
Krashin'Kenny wrote:
> *
>
> One of the guys here in town tried to put a 3"Gazz on his 24" Yuni and
> it was too tall and hit on the crown. That's why uni.com recommneds
> getting a 26" frame when you upgrade to the Gazz *

Hey hey hey....hold on a second there. Dont get Klass Bil all flustered.
:)

I have a 24x3 gazz on a 24" Yuni frame!

I was all excited about building my dream uni and failed to see the 26"
for gazz message on uni.com. :rolleyes:

I've been riding my uni (frame totally the way i got it/unchanged) for a
couple years without a problem.

Now heres where everyones gonna gasp:

There are only a few millimeters between the tire and the bottom
part of the tube that holds the seat post that sticks out. It has NEVER
been a problem for me! That could always be safely filed down too to
allow even more clearance. I have ridden through many a rocky and muddy
trail in my day without ever having enough crap stick to my tire and
then rub against the frame.

So it is definitely possible to do. If You have a choice, why not go
with the 26" just to be safe? -erik

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together
mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

joemarshall
December 19th 03, 09:36 AM
To answer the first question, the 26x2.6 is about 1 or 2 inches bigger
than the 24x3.

So the answer is no unless you've got a bunch of clearance already (ie.
if you've got a Yuni 26 or 28).

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

Klaas Bil
December 19th 03, 10:06 AM
mango wrote:
> *There are only a few millimeters between the tire and the bottom part
> of the tube*

Assuming there is some variance in sizes of Gazz tyres (including
pressures) and Yuni frames, and given the somewhat contradicting replies
of mango and Kenny, it seems that it will work in some but not all
cases. Hmmm.

Klaas Bil

--
Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict