PDA

View Full Version : Unicycle tech- what do you want to see in the next year?

GizmoDuck
December 19th 03, 02:15 PM
Now that it's nearing the end of the year I thought it would be
interesting to make some predictions as to what we may or may not be
seeing in the next year or so. I hope that this may inspire some cool
stuff for next years X'mas shopping list:

1) A production epicyclic hub
2) Unicycle group sets: Including hub, cranks, pedals seat post etc. in
entry level, intermediate, racing/advanced
3) A purpose built off-road Coker Tyre
4) Lightweight splined cranks for MUni/touring/racing- makes it easy to
change crank legths
5) A lightweight Carbon fibre KH seat

Well that's my wishlist- anything to add? :cool:

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

The NZ Unicycle Weekend Gallery
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albut20

SEMPER_UNI
December 19th 03, 03:39 PM
A hub, continuously variable from 2:1 to 1:2 ratio including a fixed
1:1.... I'll get right on that.

ISIS hubs and cranks.

Adjustable, aluminum, uni specific seat post, available in all common
diameters.

Hub width and bearing standards for high end equipment, making it
possible to mix and match quality parts regardless of manufacturer.

Uni Specific Brake levers (and shift levers).

Actually, this is just the stuff i'd like to have made available within
the next year...

Awsome thread, I'll be watching for mor ideas.

--
SEMPER_UNI - trialsin

Michael S. Pritchett, Esq.
Alpha Cycling Innovations, Inc.
SEMPER_UNI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2354

Tom Holub
December 19th 03, 04:09 PM
In article st.com>,
GizmoDuck > wrote:
)
)Now that it's nearing the end of the year I thought it would be
)interesting to make some predictions as to what we may or may not be
)seeing in the next year or so. I hope that this may inspire some cool
)stuff for next years X'mas shopping list:

* Unicycle seatpost standard changed to 25.4 or 27.2 mm
* Rail attachment becoming standard for unicycle saddles
* Quick-release bearing holders
* MUni-designed shoes
-Tom

nathan
December 19th 03, 04:46 PM
1) Adjustable cranks (120-160mm) that really work.

2) A gizmo that allows me to use my HS33 brake as either a drag or a
normal brake.

3) 125mm Profile or similar cranks...

4) ...to go on a great 29" Muni - my nighttime 24 Hour dream machine.

5) Not unicycle-specific, but 'a new lighting system'
(http://www.niterider.com/BIKEPRODUCTS/Cyclone.html)

6) MORE TIME TO RIDE IN MORE PLACES WITH MORE PEOPLE!

---Nathan

--
nathan - BIG rides: Muni & Coker
nathan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/251

joemarshall
December 19th 03, 05:20 PM
nathan wrote:
> *
> 3) 125mm Profile or similar cranks...
> *

Qu ax are splined 125mm.

Cheap adjustable cranks even if they weigh a lot would be great.

A switchable geared hub would be super too.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

harper
December 19th 03, 05:20 PM
GizmoDuck wrote:
> *...
> 1) A production epicyclic hub...
> *

I had hoped to have this done by now. The overseas manufacturer I was
dealing with has produced hubs and frames for a Blue Shift-like unicycle
but the quality was just unacceptable. I have recently submitted another
design spec set to a different manufacturer. I hope to get a bid within
a couple weeks. I spent almost one year exactly with the previous
company. I'm still trying.

--
harper - Old dog, no tricks

-Greg Harper

B L U E S H I F T

"... is it better to have the seat too high, or too low?" -supertones

johnfoss
December 19th 03, 05:54 PM
> 1) A production epicyclic hub

I think we'll see that as soon as Harper works out the production
details.

> 2) Unicycle group sets: Including hub, cranks, pedals seat
> post etc. in entry level, intermediate, racing/advanced

I wouldn't hold my breath there. Very little market for that. Though we
read tons about it here, the majority of the unicycle market mostly buys
one and rides it.

> 3) A purpose built off-road Coker Tyre

This would be cool, but again I don't think there is enough market. If
Coker (or someone else) were to make a second tire, I would urge them to
make a lighter, thinner road tire. The basic 36" tire is good for
all-around, but I think road riders outnumber the off-roaders.

> 4) Lightweight splined cranks for MUni/touring/racing
> - makes it easy to change crank legths

Weight makes cranks hard to change? I actually thought those cranks,
being hollow, were fairly light already. Taking weight away might reduce
the reason for having splined; making them weaker.

> 5) A lightweight Carbon fibre KH seat

I think there are plans for this one, but they probably won't be
cheap!

> Adjustable, aluminum, uni specific seat post, available
> in all common diameters.

I think seat posts is the area with the most potential for improvement
and growth in unicycling. Aluminum would be a nice step, and working out
the addition of handles and other accessories without adding more stress
on the seat.

> Hub width and bearing standards for high end
> equipment, making it possible to mix and match
> quality parts regardless of manufacturer.

This is a great long-term goal. I don't know if manufacturers can be
made to care what their competitors are making, but it sure would be
nice.

> Rail attachment becoming standard for unicycle saddles

This would be handy but probably not likely in the near future, as only
a small minority of us need such things. Rails allow for good tilt
adjustment, and hopefully the posts that go with them will suppport the
weight and strain of handles and other accessory holders.

> MUni-designed shoes

Those would *really* be cool. I don't know how much interest you need
before a manufacturer makes shoes for your sport. First we'd have to
agree on what kind of shoes we need. I prefer turf shoes. My advice for
people these days is to try your local Nike factory outlet if there is
one. I got some nice shoes there.

> Adjustable cranks (120-160mm) that really work

Those would be awesome for road riding. I don't know about adjustable
cranks being viable for MUni though. You'd probably have to decide
between weight and adjustability.

> 125mm Profile or similar cranks...

...to fit the non-Qu-Ax hubs. Are they compatible?

> MORE TIME TO RIDE IN MORE PLACES WITH MORE PEOPLE!

Amen.

For me?

- The broadening of available choices in 700c unicycles. For road,
track, and MUni.

- Better seat posts. The seats are fine. We keep breaking them because
we're putting too much stress on the fronts of our seats. Put this
stress on the post, and seats can be made to weigh only half as much.

- Easier ways for people to get their unicycling questions answered,
whether they be about what to buy, how to modify it, how to ride, etc.
I'll be working on this.

- An amazing UNICON in Japan!

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"I ain't goin' to no mall." — my nephew Austin Miller, on being invited
to join his sister and mom at the mall on Saturday Dec. 13

GizmoDuck
December 19th 03, 06:11 PM
johnfoss wrote:

> > 4) Lightweight splined cranks for MUni/touring/racing
> > - makes it easy to change crank legths
>
> Weight makes cranks hard to change? I actually thought those cranks,
> being hollow, were fairly light already. Taking weight away might
> reduce the reason for having splined; making them weaker.
>
> [/color]

No- but I find my KH splined cranks relatively quick and easy to unscrew
with a couple of allen keys. No need for a crank puller and less likely
to wear out the threads on the crank nut/axle.

I have not weighed my KH hub but I'm sure it's as heavy as it looks.
The point is that splined hubs cranks are stronger, so they can be made
to be lighter than an equivalent cotterless hub. No point having a
beefy hub able to take 5 foot drops if you are riding it on road/XC
MUNi.

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

The NZ Unicycle Weekend Gallery
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albut20

Mojoe
December 19th 03, 06:12 PM
A 29er off-road tire in the 2.3 to 2.5 inch range would be great.

A unicycle specific brake lever or a better way to mount a bike brake
lever.

Mojoe

--
Mojoe - DILLIGAF

Nothing to see here... move along.
Mojoe's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/533

GizmoDuck
December 19th 03, 06:18 PM
harper wrote:
> *
>
> I had hoped to have this done by now. The overseas manufacturer I was
> dealing with has produced hubs and frames for a Blue Shift-like
> unicycle but the quality was just unacceptable. I have recently
> submitted another design spec set to a different manufacturer. I hope
> to get a bid within a couple weeks. I spent almost one year exactly
> with the previous company. I'm still trying. *

Can I go on your waiting list? :p

In my opinion that would be to unicycling what suspension is to
mountainbiking. If you to get the epicyclic hub into production you
should be indicted into the Unicycle Hall of Fame :cool: .

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

The NZ Unicycle Weekend Gallery
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albut20

onewheeldave
December 19th 03, 06:21 PM
I like my technology to be useful but simple so I'd like to see some
adjustable cranks like the ones available for tandems.

A range of 125-150 mm would be good for me.

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

juergen_brauckmann
December 19th 03, 08:00 PM
> * but the quality was just unacceptable. *

What did they do wrong? I remember that most of the parts of your hub
are standard parts?

> * I spent almost one year exactly with the previous company. *

That does not sound very funny. Good luck with your current
manufacturer.

Juergen

--
juergen_brauckmann - Title? What title?
juergen_brauckmann's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2079

jagur
December 19th 03, 09:00 PM
whoops;edit

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

TonyMelton
December 19th 03, 09:12 PM
I agree that standard unicycle seatposts leave a lot to be desired. I've
lost count of the number I've bent and had to have repaired. If rails
came as an integrated part of uni seats (similar to how bike seats have
rails) it would be great - then all you'd need is a bike seatpost of the
correct diameter and you'd be away laughing.

-Tony

--
TonyMelton - NZUNi

The first NZUNi Weekend - October 25-27, Wellington. More info at
'www.unicycle.co.nz' (http://www.unicycle.co.nz)

'My Photo Gallery' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albur10) has new
photos and has been generally re-arranged and spruced up. 9/9/03

TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118

U-Turn
December 20th 03, 12:13 AM
TonyMelton wrote:
> *I agree that standard unicycle seatposts leave a lot to be desired.
> I've lost count of the number I've bent and had to have repaired. If
> rails came as an integrated part of uni seats (similar to how bike
> seats have rails) it would be great - then all you'd need is a bike
> seatpost of the correct diameter and you'd be away laughing.
>

> -Tony *
Except for people with legs that barely fit the unicycle. Rails and the
extra hardware on the seatpost lose 2" or so of vertical space and lower
the pool of potential riders for a given wheel size. In general, this
is not a problem for bicycles.

--
U-Turn - Wholly Roller

Weep in the dojo... laugh in the battlefield.

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

-- Dave Stockton

Frank A.
December 20th 03, 01:23 AM
I'd like a wide flange Profile hub for my Hunter36.

- Frank

--
Frank A. - off-road

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

jagur
December 20th 03, 02:20 AM
i'd like to have a unicycle.com on the west coast

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

gerblefranklin
December 20th 03, 02:25 AM
jagur wrote:
> *i'd like to have a unicycle.com on the west coast *

ditto.

--
gerblefranklin

I don't break equipment, I make it cheaper.

bugman
December 20th 03, 03:06 AM
jagur wrote:
> *i'd like to have a unicycle.com on the west coast *

Wouldn't it just be easier for you to move to the east coast and go to
work for them. The way you go through Unicycles, I am sure the discount
would be a great benefit. Besides then we could blame you if we had
shipping mistakes.:D

--
bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

"Trying to maintain balance by wild arm and body motions is something
like trying to balance a wet noodle"
Jack Wiley _The_Unicycle_Book_

yoopers
December 20th 03, 03:58 AM
GizmoDuck wrote:
> *
> ...you should be indicted into the Unicycle Hall of Fame*

I'm sorry :) ...but this is a great faux pas. I had to laugh.

yoopers - Bruce & Mary Edwards
yoopers's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/31

Klaas Bil
December 20th 03, 07:35 AM
On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:06:27 -0600, bugman
> wrote:

>jagur wrote:
>> *i'd like to have a unicycle.com on the west coast *
>
>Wouldn't it just be easier for you to move to the east coast and go to
>work for them. The way you go through Unicycles, I am sure the discount
>would be a great benefit. Besides then we could blame you if we had
>shipping mistakes.:D

And don't forget that Jagur's hobby seems to be selling unicycles. He
would be in Heaven!

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

jagur
December 20th 03, 07:46 AM
i'd also like every tyre on the market to come with a Kevlar bead option
and sidewall color choices.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

redwelly
December 21st 03, 08:53 AM
I'd like to see some more of the stuff that's only available on
unicycle.com to be on unicycle.uk.com too. You Americans have such a
bigger range of stuff available. For example, as far as I know there is
only one 28" on sale for the UK ( http://tinyurl.com/sb31 ). I guess
it's a case of supply and demand. More people must complain! :D

- Sam

--
redwelly - Panhead
redwelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4518

rogeratunicycledotcom
December 21st 03, 11:14 AM
ok I guess I can reply a lot of these in one go.. here goes:
GizmoDuck ;
> 1) A production epicyclic hub
Coming but no date yet, we have 2 avenues for finding this.
> 2) Unicycle group sets: Including hub, cranks, pedals seat post > etc.
in entry level, intermediate, racing/advanced
Nice idea! I love it, will work on this with the guys.
> 3) A purpose built off-road Coker Tyre
Problem is cost at the moment, initial cost was quoted at $17,000 for
the set-up, but this is on my list when I visit Taiwan in March.
> 4) Lightweight splined cranks for MUni/touring/racing- makes it > easy
to change crank lengths.
Working on this, but with the different formats it is not easy, they
also need diffferent Qfactors as well etc. We have a plan for this one,
but it seams to be moving slowly. Again my trip to Taiwan may speed
that this up.
>5) A lightweight Carbon fibre KH seat
Done, it is on our site already (I think). It is a CF base for the KH
seat, but to be honist I am having problems getting them at the moment,
the manufactorer is really busy. The only one in uses is with Paul in
Germany.

SEMPER_UNI:
> ISIS hubs and cranks.
Done, we are just waiting for the final production off. It is a
titanium hub, with disk brake fitting and isis splines. Joe in the UK
is makeing this, it will be the new top end hub set I think.
>Adjustable, aluminum, uni specific seat post, available in all
> common diameters
Done, we have the adaptors for rails and can from the new year supply
seatposts in all sizes to fit.
> Hub width and bearing standards for high end equipment,
> making it possible to mix and match quality parts regardless of
> manufacturer.
This is a hard one, am working on it with a modular system hub/crank but
again this is going slow at the moment. Because of the way that splined
cranks use spacers this I had not realised was a massive problem, will
have a more detailed look at this.
> Uni Specific Brake levers (and shift levers).
Working on this, mid next year I think. Magura levers for unicycles.

Tom Holub:
> * Unicycle seatpost standard changed to 25.4 or 27.2 mm
This is happening, we are doing it actively. But there is a problem in
that the production of the standard unicycle uses 22.0. I guess this
may change but it will take a year or two.
> * Rail attachment becoming standard for unicycle saddles
The fittings are in the shopping cart, we even have a really cheap one
now.
> * Quick-release bearing holders
Working on an adaption, but so far it has not got very far. Give me 6
months on this.
> * MUni-designed shoes
Not done this, cost too much for me to touch.

nathan:
> 1) Adjustable cranks (120-160mm) that really work.
Yes I agree, but have not got very far with this.
> 2) A gizmo that allows me to use my HS33 brake as either a
> drag or a normal brake.
I will see what I can do with this, I think possible with the coming of
the brake lever for us.
> 3) 125mm Profile or similar cranks...
Done, Quax. In shop.
> 4) ...to go on a great 29" Muni - my nighttime 24 Hour dream
> machine.
Come to redbull this year. :-)
> 5) Not unicycle-specific, but a new lighting system
The sun.
> 6) MORE TIME TO RIDE IN MORE PLACES WITH MORE PEOPLE!
Oh I could not agree more with you here.

I think that is all for the moment. Most of these as you can tell we
are working on or are already there. Some I would love... can I have
losts of Nathan's No.6 :-)

Cheers

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

Klaas Bil
December 22nd 03, 06:12 AM
On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 05:14:25 -0600, rogeratunicycledotcom
icyclist.com>
wrote:

>ok I guess I can reply a lot of these in one go.. here goes:

Kudos for Roger to work on so many things and more kudos for picking
up issues from the list to work on additionally. With that, this
thread moves away from 'dreaming away', which is how I considered it
before.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"Friends don't let friends drop to flat - Kris Holm, discussing large drops to flat ground."

rogeratunicycledotcom
January 1st 04, 01:23 PM
U-Turn wrote:
> *Except for people with legs that barely fit the unicycle. Rails and
> the extra hardware on the seatpost lose 2" or so of vertical space and
> lower the pool of potential riders for a given wheel size. In
> general, this is not a problem for bicycles. *

There are other ways...
http://tinyurl.com/ywnox

You loose about 1" with this option.

Not super strong but an option... for more serious stuff I think I would
weld it at the angle you want it but it gets you there.

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

Rowan
January 1st 04, 04:14 PM
U-Turn wrote:
> *Except for people with legs that barely fit the unicycle. Rails and
> the extra hardware on the seatpost lose 2" or so of vertical space and
> lower the pool of potential riders for a given wheel size. In
> general, this is not a problem for bicycles. *
When Tony said he wanted the rails integrated into the seats, I think he
meant the rails being imbedded into the seat somehow, like on
bike-seats. That wouldn't use quite as much space as the rails adapters.
Ken had a good idea which he suggested to me, he reckoned you could make
a new top part for a Thomson seatpost, and have the seat attached to
that, instead of using rails. I'd say most riders old enough to afford
seats with rails have legs long enough to reach the pedals anyway.

--
Rowan - Useless Unicyclist
Rowan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3772

one wheeled stallion
January 1st 04, 04:23 PM
Forgive my ignorance, but what is an epicyclic hub and ISIS hub/crank
sets??

--
one wheeled stallion - Getting There! :-)

OWS
one wheeled stallion's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4832

U-Turn
January 1st 04, 04:36 PM
Rowan wrote:
> *When Tony said he wanted the rails integrated into the seats, I think
> he meant the rails being imbedded into the seat somehow, like on
> bike-seats. That wouldn't use quite as much space as the rails
> adapters. Ken had a good idea which he suggested to me, he reckoned
> you could make a new top part for a Thomson seatpost, and have the
> seat attached to that, instead of using rails. *
George Barnes has some great seatposts made from 7/8 and 1" tubing with
a 0 or 15 degree angle built in. It would be reasonable to extend this
to larger diameters by buying a seatpost of that diameter, removing the
head, and welding on a new bracket. The primary advantages of the
Thomsen are less helpful when it has been shortened so much.

Rowan wrote:
> *I'd say most riders old enough to afford seats with rails have legs
> long enough to reach the pedals anyway. *
This does not follow. Income and height are unrelated, at least to a
first approximation. There are many fine adult riders that are short.
My father and my daughter are nearly 60 years apart in age, yet use the
same size bicycle.

--
U-Turn - Wholly Roller

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'

'Unatics Website' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

-- Dave Stockton

Sofa
January 1st 04, 05:35 PM
To have an awesome source for people to read, and to possibly write
reviews on everything unicycle related, that a person will be able to
make an informed decision on something before they buy it.

'Oh, wait' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

Those of you who are members already, thanks for your support, and don't
worry, there will more things coming (other than reviews, but certainly
pretty neat)

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Sofa
January 1st 04, 05:38 PM
I think our sport has grown signifigantly, and to be recognized by Bike
races as our own category would be huge.

3 unicycle teams at a MountainBike 24 hour relay event is AWESOME! But
I think a category at XC races would be cool, but I think we are still
too small a community for that.

Get out and enter some races!

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx)

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.0

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Klaas Bil
January 1st 04, 08:24 PM
On Thu, 1 Jan 2004 10:23:07 -0600, one wheeled stallion
cyclist.com> wrote:

>Forgive my ignorance, but what is an epicyclic hub and ISIS hub/crank
>sets??

Epicyclic hub: internally geared hub that can transmit torque both
forwards and backwards (unlike a usual internally geared hub for a
bike). E.g for every revolution of the cranks, the wheel turns 1.5
revolutions. Prototypes exist but they're not yet commercially
available.

ISIS hub and cranks: a type of 'splined' connection between the axle
and the cranks. I don't know the details of the ISIS system but I
think it is some bike standard and incompatable with e.g. the Profile
Racing, Onza and KH systems.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
Today (1 January) is the first day this year. Happy New Year!

tugboat
January 1st 04, 09:09 PM
all i would like to see would be a street category at one of the big
conventions/competitions. thats all, Kevin

--
tugboat - crazy unier
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

GizmoDuck
January 2nd 04, 12:15 AM
Sofa wrote:
> *I think our sport has grown signifigantly, and to be recognized by
> Bike races as our own category would be huge.
>
> 3 unicycle teams at a MountainBike 24 hour relay event is AWESOME!
> But I think a category at XC races would be cool, but I think we are
> still too small a community for that.
>
> Get out and enter some races! *

Sofa,

We had one unicycle team and three soloists at last years 'Moonride'
(www.moonride.co.nz)

We had two unicycle teams and one soloist at 'The Lake Taupo Cycle
Challenge' (www.cyclechallenge.com)

We had two unicycle teams and one soloist at 'The Day Night Thriller'
(www.daynightthriller.co.nz)

And best of all....we have our own separate category in 'The Karapoti
Classic' (http://www.mountainbike.co.nz/karapoti/categories.html) . As
far as I know, it is the only 50km off-road unicycle race in existence.
Does that make it the worlds toughest MUni race? All the other races
I've been in we've always entered in the MTB divisions.

I think our sport has come a long way. At least in NZ.

Ken

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

I am just a figment of your imagination.

GizmoDuck
January 2nd 04, 12:18 AM

My keyboard is sticky with drool....:p

--
GizmoDuck - Cokernut

I am just a figment of your imagination.

gingerfreek
January 2nd 04, 01:10 PM
rogeratunicycledotcom wrote:
> *
> SEMPER_UNI:
> > ISIS hubs and cranks.
> Done, we are just waiting for the final production off. It is a
> titanium hub, with disk brake fitting and isis splines. Joe in the UK
> is makeing this, it will be the new top end hub set I think.
>
> Roger *

does this mean there will be a new frame out with caliper mounts on it?
or is there some other gizmo you've created or goten hold of that can be
attatched to existing non-disk-brake-compatible frames?

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

evilewan
January 2nd 04, 10:31 PM
i'd realy like a 19x2.5 slick. like a fireball.

with more and more people doing urban trials/street. a tyre that let you
go a little bit faster would be nice.

in fact thats all i realy want, just about all my other desires have
been taken care of.

--
evilewan - death or glory

--
evilewan.

see the rec.sport.unicycling maintainance FAQ @
http://evilewan.unicyclist.com/
evilewan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1047

tugboat
January 2nd 04, 10:53 PM
i really like that idea evilewan! that really would be helpfull in the
street area! maybe it will happen sometime soon.

Kevin

--
tugboat - crazy unier
tugboat's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3298

paco
January 3rd 04, 02:39 AM
Three cheers for Roger! Will all these toys be available through the
U.S. Uni.com as well?

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

"The guy wouldn't know majesty if it came up and bit him in the face!"
-Strongbad
"That happened once!"
-Coach Z
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

MUNIYETI
January 3rd 04, 03:34 AM
How about (M)Unicycle specific shorts ?.... Maybe like bike baggies but
with a chamois that goes down the inside of the legs more and shaped to
help hold "the boys" up outta the way.

--
MUNIYETI - The Abominable MUnicyclist
MUNIYETI's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4183

chirokid
January 3rd 04, 05:28 AM
MUNIYETI wrote:
> *How about (M)Unicycle specific shorts ?.... and shaped to help hold
> "the boys" up outta the way. *

That would be good. This past Fall I was having fun hopping up and
smashing pumpkins on my Muni. Well, fun until I landed on some really
slick pumpkin guts. With that hop, I not only smashed the pumpkin, but
cracked two nuts at the same time.

That was the last pumpkin I smashed. --chirokid--

--
chirokid

...and a butt that smells like chocolate is good? ? ? ? ? :D joemarshall wrote:
> * Get some Palmers Cocoa Butter Lotion from Boots. If you put it on in
> the evening after a ride, you'll be fine to ride the next day. As an
> added bonus it smells of chocolate too. Joe *

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

rogeratunicycledotcom
January 3rd 04, 09:58 AM
Hi,

Shorts; yes we need them, it has been on my personal list for a long
time but again I have been failing on this one unfortunately. What I
have looked at is getting bike ones re-branded... but have totally
failed. I know Kris is looking at this as well so we may have these
coming from his side. Question though.... What are the requirements for
these shorts? I am not sure.

Slick 19" tyres, I can not agree more, would be a good thing. I have
checked the books and at the moment nothing is showing but I will
investigate further. I know it is not quite the same but... do people
know when about the Big Apple 20" tyre? We are hoping to get these in
soon and look superb!

Unicycle.com group. Yes the products may be at one of us first, but do
get to all the group within a few months. What we have learnt is that
the demand for products is different in different countries so we do
tend to hold slightly different products.

Frames for disk brakes. Nothing yet, but you can get addaption for bike
forks so it should not be hard to do, or we can do mods to frames. By
the way no sign of the hub yet from Joe.

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

Mikefule
January 3rd 04, 11:40 AM
What about a new frame with a tubular forward extension from just below
the seat? This extension could be adapted to hold an ancillary wheel
which could be made dirigible, perhaps with handlebars. Those
handlebars would make an ideal mounting point for brake levers.

In my idea, the frame extension would be triangulated for strength, and
could also provide a forward mounting point for the cranks, allowing a
chain drive to the primary (rear) wheel, with the chain running more or
less parallel to the ground. This would combine the advantage of a
conventional unicycle (low seat height) with that of a giraffe (chain
drive, and selection of cogs available).

With a little thought, I'm sure that it would be possible to design this
machine with, say, three different sizes of cog at the crank , and 6 or
7 at the wheel. The chain could easily be derailed from one cog to
another with a simple cable-activated pantograph mechanism, giving up to
27 possible gear ratios. The derailing mechanism could be controlled by
a lever from the handlebars.

The additional stability of the ancillary dirigible wheel in front of
the primary (driven0 wheel would make it possible for this new unicycle
to have carrier racks for pannier, as well as mudguards, easier mounting
of lights, and so on. I imagine such a machine would be capable of
speeds of 30+ mph (nearly 50kmh) and, with the addition of suspension,
would be capable of travelling down steep and uneven tracks at high
speed.

I can imagine how the frame extension could be used to support a small
petrol engine, thus doing away with the need for pedals and cranks and
so on. The greater power available from the engine would reduce the
number of gears needed to about 5 or 6, and thse could be operated by a
foot pedal.

With suitable streamlining, provided by a fairing constructed from
plastic or glass fibre (possibly carbon fibre?), such a unicycle could
be capable of extreme speeds - perhaps up to 180 mph or more. Possible
disadvantages, I suppose, would be that the government would enforce
licensing and insurance requirements, and helmets would become
compulsory.

Of course, at 180mph, or even at 60 mph, such a unicycle would be
uncomfortable to ride in anything but perfect weather conditions. It
could be made more versatile, therefore if the rider could be fully
enclosed in a metal body with a glass windscreen allowing forward
vision. The additional weight might be a problem, and to enhance
stability, it might be necessary to add two more ancillary wheels,
making four in all.

It would probably be better if two of the four wheels were driven by the
motor, perhaps by shaft drive. Some sort of differential arrangement
would be needed.

With the additional stability provided by the four wheels, it would be
possible to fit a more powerful engine, perhaps tuned for torque, rather
than outright power. With such an engine, it would be simple for the
unicycle to be extended with 3 or more passenger seats, making
unicycling a sport for the whole family.

The engine's electrical system would need a substantial battery, and
this could be used to power a number of peripherals such as powerful
lights, a radio cassette or cd player, and a heater.

With a little thought and imagination, I can see how a few simple
improvements could build on the inherent simplicity of the unicycle to
make it a truly practical, comfortable and socially acceptable form of
transport.

Happy new year. :0)

--
Mikefule - Roland Hope School of Unicycling

rogeratunicycledotcom
January 3rd 04, 12:38 PM
ok will add to list.... you didn't mention what colour?

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

KlownLife
January 3rd 04, 12:48 PM
tugboat wrote:
> *all i would like to see would be a street category at one of the big
> conventions/competitions. thats all, Kevin *

I agree wit this guy, street is now major so I think it should be
recognised in competitions

--
KlownLife - Unicycle Xtremist

Being A Clown Sux, You Get Kicked By Kidz, Bitten By Dogz And Admired By
The Elderly!
KlownLife's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5196

fme
January 5th 04, 01:21 PM
And what about a cycle computer easy to read while riding.
I tried with a wireless one stuck on my glove, but their range is too
short for this to work.

A camelback like backpack allowing to tie up a Muni for easy
porterage.

Lighter Muni. The heaviest part is probably the rim followed by the
tire, frame and saddle. The Gazz is a fine tire, but tuned for downhill
constraints (high speed...). May be a specific 3.0 Muni tire would be
much light.

Municycle specific shorts and boots would also be good.

And finally, a sci-fi device: a "free floating" brake lever. ie a brake
command that you keep in your hand, like a hand exercise handle, and
which can be used at any time.
Ideally it would work remotely with the actual brake, and uses some kind
of force feedback mechanism to help you tune the braking power.
A first version based on Magura could use a long hydraulic tube tied on
your body and arm. A quick release mechanism should allow automatic
disconnection without hydraulic leak in case of UPD.

Francois

--
fme
fme's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1021

rogeratunicycledotcom
January 5th 04, 01:52 PM
fme wrote:
> *A camelback like backpack allowing to tie up a Muni for easy
> porterage.*

Check out some of the climbers rucksacks, they have straps on for
carrying skis or ice akes on the back and also have built in camel back
pouches, this might surfice.

> * Lighter Muni. The heaviest part is probably the rim followed by the
> tire, frame and saddle. The Gazz is a fine tire, but tuned for
> downhill constraints (high speed...). May be a specific 3.0 Muni tire
> would be much light. *

Your assumption is wrong on what is heavy, the main weight in a unicycle
is the hub then tyre then cranks. Frame generally is nothing in weight,
although there have been examples recently of overengineerined super
heavy weight frames.
Hub and cranks, generally you get what you want, strenght is heavy for
the most part.
Seatposts, yes very heavy... check out the Onza one, it is aluminium and
I believe we may see the same on the KH soon.
Tyre, the Gaz is a very very heavy tyre and the Contra (duro leopard) is
close behind in the weight stakes. I hope that we will see a 3" tyre
with a sensible weight soon. The one fitted to the Onza is half the
weight! although it is about 10mm smaller in width. Personally I think
it is a better tyre because it has enough grip and volume for most
things unless you are really heavy and makes it a lot easier to jump.

Inner tube, if you really want to put weight into your unicycle put on a
3" down hill inner tube. These are stupidly heavy and are so thick that
they deaden the bouncyness of the tyre... ok they are more durable in
theory, but I have not found them much more in practice.

Roger

--
rogeratunicycledotcom - ok ish Unicyclist
rogeratunicycledotcom's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4116

jagur
January 5th 04, 08:43 PM
*about thick DH tubes*

rogeratunicycledotcom wrote:
> * if you really want to put weight into your unicycle put on a 3" down
> hill inner tube. These are stupidly heavy and are so thick that they
> deaden the bouncyness of the tyre... ok they are more durable in
> theory, but I have not found them much more in practice. *
i couldnt agree more.i have slammed down on a regular tube so many times
that dont think DH tubes are nessasary,for me anyway.

ive wanted to make a thread about this for some time but i never
did.here is what i do.since a 24x3 tyre is so big i use a regular
thickness 26 inch tube.since the diameter of a big 24x3 is about the
size of a 26" tyre the 26 inch tube works much better that a 24" tube
and the 26 inch tube wont get paper thin like a 24" will from trying to
fill all that volume.

--
jagur - Random Unicyclist

-Forget_Your_Life-

joona
January 5th 04, 08:55 PM
jagur wrote:
> *about thick DH tubes*
>

> i couldnt agree more.i have slammed down on a regular tube so many
> times that dont think DH tubes are nessasary,for me anyway.
>
> ive wanted to make a thread about this for some time but i never
> did.here is what i do.since a 24x3 tyre is so big i use a regular
> thickness 26 inch tube.since the diameter of a big 24x3 is about the
> size of a 26" tyre the 26 inch tube works much better that a 24" tube
> and the 26 inch tube wont get paper thin like a 24" will from trying
> to fill all that volume.

Maybe I should try that too. I have a DH tube in my 3" Gazza and I admit
that my uni does weight quite a lot. And I'm not too heavy myself. Maybe
I'll try a 2,6" Gazza or something similar. That idea about the 26" tube
is really good.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

'Aaaargghh!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2snl6)
Don't click the link. It makes your head hurt.

And it tells you to count the black spots.
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

joona
January 5th 04, 09:08 PM
I was just wondering. What kind of shoes could be "MUni-shoes"? High top
and soft grippy sole. The sole should also give you a good grip while
walking. Goretex for protection from wind and water. I think these are
already available and they are called hiking boots.

And for better grip on pedals people could go with clipless pedals or
straps :) Oh, the joy of planting face to a mud hole. I can't wait to
get my own pair of clipless pedals.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

'Aaaargghh!!!' (http://tinyurl.com/2snl6)
Don't click the link. It makes your head hurt.

And it tells you to count the black spots.
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

paco
January 5th 04, 09:27 PM
fme wrote:
> *And what about a cycle computer easy to read while riding.
> I tried with a wireless one stuck on my glove, but their range is too
> short for this to work.*

Has anyone looked into this one? I have no clue about the cost for
creating new electronics, but I think that the main thing would be to
boost the power of the wireless transmitter.

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

Sounds exactly like an orthodic support for shoes, only different. Would
this be called a butt-thodic support? or glutethodic?
-S_Wallis
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

phil
January 5th 04, 09:43 PM
paco wrote:
> *Has anyone looked into this one? I have no clue about the cost for
> creating new electronics, but I think that the main thing would be to
> boost the power of the wireless transmitter. *

Another approach could be to use a bit of both worlds... would it be
possible to mount the transmitter underneath the seat, attached to the
sensor by wires? I've never seen a wireless computer but I presume it
must be technically possible to separate the sensor and transmitter so
the transmitter can be moved a bit closer to where the main unit will
be.

Phil

--
phil - ex-studenty type

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915

joemarshall
January 6th 04, 11:02 AM
joona wrote:
> *I was just wondering. What kind of shoes could be "MUni-shoes"? High
> top and soft grippy sole. The sole should also give you a good grip
> while walking. Goretex for protection from wind and water. I think
> these are already available and they are called hiking boots.
> *

For riding on flat pin pedals, you don't want knobbly hiking boot style
soles, you want an almost flat sole, like Vans have. This lets the
pedals grip onto your foot so much better. I used to ride with hiking
boots, but I got a pair of Vans and I'll never go back.

Joe

--
joemarshall - dumb blonde

pete66
January 6th 04, 11:36 AM
Yeah Vans are good, they sound as if they're getting messed up by the
pins when I adjust my foot position but when I take a close look at the
sole, they're in good shape. Can't complain about their performance on
non-pinned pedals either.

That said, I randomly wear my $15 (US$10) warehouse shoes for uniing and
they seem just as good, they have a hard rubber sole and plasticy
leather everywhere else (Warehouse is an NZ/AUS cheapo store "Where
everyone gets a bargain"). The Vans win though coz they have way more
cushioning, it's pretty even as far as which look cooler tho.

Pete

--
pete66 - Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

pete66
January 6th 04, 11:43 AM
I forgot to mention, I doubt if I'd buy uni specific shoes. I'd only
consider it if I could try them on before I buy.

--
pete66 - Level 3 Unicyclist
pete66's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4812

Google