PDA

View Full Version : more smoke, more fire (colorado)

Monique Y. Herman
October 29th 03, 08:29 PM
A forest fire just started up Lefthand Canyon in Jamestown this morning.
I saw the smoke while driving to work; now it stretches across the sky
even from Boulder. Eric tells me it's raining ash in Longmont, where we
live. (About 17 miles from Jamestown, according to mapquest.)

The crazy wind we've been having since last night can't be helping, but
the Jamestown forecast calls for snow thurs->sun.

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/mtn_towns_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2428_2385535,00.html

Anyway, nowhere near as bad as California (I hope). Interesting to note
that the Lefthand Canyon FD sent a fire truck out to help the CA fires.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Craig Brossman
October 29th 03, 09:03 PM
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> A forest fire just started up Lefthand Canyon in Jamestown this morning.
> I saw the smoke while driving to work; now it stretches across the sky
> even from Boulder. Eric tells me it's raining ash in Longmont, where we
> live. (About 17 miles from Jamestown, according to mapquest.)
>
> The crazy wind we've been having since last night can't be helping, but
> the Jamestown forecast calls for snow thurs->sun.
>
> http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/mtn_towns_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2428_2385535,00.html
>
> Anyway, nowhere near as bad as California (I hope). Interesting to note
> that the Lefthand Canyon FD sent a fire truck out to help the CA fires.

I'm sorry to hear this. Good luck to you all, 1 mile west is the Miller
Rock trail (St. Vrain) and a beautiful area. I onced looked at houses there.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Chris Glidden
October 29th 03, 10:24 PM
"Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
> A forest fire just started up Lefthand Canyon in Jamestown this morning.
> I saw the smoke while driving to work; now it stretches across the sky
> even from Boulder. Eric tells me it's raining ash in Longmont, where we
> live. (About 17 miles from Jamestown, according to mapquest.)
>
> The crazy wind we've been having since last night can't be helping, but
> the Jamestown forecast calls for snow thurs->sun.

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/mtn_towns_news/article/0,1713,BDC_2428_238553
5,00.html

> Anyway, nowhere near as bad as California (I hope). Interesting to note
> that the Lefthand Canyon FD sent a fire truck out to help the CA fires.
>
> --
> monique
> PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
> Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Good luck Monique

cg

Monique Y. Herman
October 29th 03, 10:34 PM
On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 at 22:24 GMT, Chris Glidden penned:

> Good luck Monique

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that my house is safe (or maybe I'm just naive), but
there are others closer to the mountains.

I've recently heard that there's another fire near Castlerock (closer to
Denver). Weird.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Stephen Baker
October 29th 03, 10:43 PM
CG says:

>Good luck Monique

Yeah - from me too!

I'm just glad it's THAT Jamestown, not mine...

Steve

miles todd
October 29th 03, 10:51 PM
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> Anyway, nowhere near as bad as California (I hope). Interesting to note
> that the Lefthand Canyon FD sent a fire truck out to help the CA fires.

That's actually a part of why the Cedar Fire got so out of hand here in
San Diego- a good part of our fire fighters were in other areas helping
out. It took a while to recall them to fight our own blazes.

Miles

Slacker
October 30th 03, 07:34 AM
> I've recently heard that there's another fire near Castlerock (closer to
> Denver). Weird.
>
> --
> monique

I'll tell ya what's weird, JD is in California and half the state is on
fire. He goes back to CO and all of a sudden, CO is on fire.... that's
weird!
--
Slacker

Michael Dart
October 30th 03, 11:58 AM
"Slacker" > wrote in message
> > I've recently heard that there's another fire near Castlerock (closer to
> > Denver). Weird.
> >
> > --
> > monique
>

> I'll tell ya what's weird, JD is in California and half the state is on
> fire. He goes back to CO and all of a sudden, CO is on fire.... that's
> weird!
> --
> Slacker

Maybe he snagged an ember in his ponytail. *~:^o

Mike

Penny S
October 30th 03, 04:27 PM
Michael Dart spray painted on a boxcar:
> "Slacker" > wrote in message
>>> I've recently heard that there's another fire near Castlerock
>>> (closer to Denver). Weird.
>>>
>>> --
>>> monique
>>

>> I'll tell ya what's weird, JD is in California and half the state is
>> on fire. He goes back to CO and all of a sudden, CO is on fire....
>> that's weird!
>> --
>> Slacker
>>

> Maybe he snagged an ember in his ponytail. *~:^o
>
> Mike

He doens't have a ponytail anymore

Penny

--
if you are reading this post via any webpage other than googlegroups or one
possibly being edited or modified without my permission, in violation of US

P e t e F a g e r l i n
October 30th 03, 04:39 PM
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:27:37 -0800, "Penny S"
> wrote:

>if you are reading this post via any webpage other than googlegroups
or one
>provided by a news server subscription service, it is being used and
>possibly being edited or modified without my permission, in violation
of US
>copyright laws.

Oh please.

What's your recourse?

Answer:

A civil action.

Did you give permission to Google or any other news server
subscription service to reproduce your copyrighted musings? You are
going to include them in your suit as well, right?

Penny S
October 30th 03, 04:57 PM
P e t e F a g e r l i n spray painted on a boxcar:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:27:37 -0800, "Penny S"
> > wrote:
>

>> if you are reading this post via any webpage other than googlegroups
>> or one provided by a news server subscription service, it is being
>> used and possibly being edited or modified without my permission,
>> in violation of US copyright laws.
>
> Oh please.
>
> What's your recourse?
>
> Answer:
>
> A civil action.
>
> Did you give permission to Google or any other news server
> subscription service to reproduce your copyrighted musings? You are
> going to include them in your suit as well, right?

as long as they don't ****ing edit them.

I am so not in the mood to argue this. I think it reprehensible that cycling
forums is moderating and editing amb, or at least MY stuff, without my
permission. It's bad enough that an uniformed person might think CF.com is
implying some sort of ownership or control of content via theirmembershiop
& bbs interface.

I"m going back into my cave now.

penny

JD
October 30th 03, 04:59 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

JD

P e t e F a g e r l i n
October 30th 03, 05:04 PM
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:57:21 -0800, "Penny S"
> wrote:

>P e t e F a g e r l i n spray painted on a boxcar:
>> On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 08:27:37 -0800, "Penny S"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>> if you are reading this post via any webpage other than
googlegroups
>>> or one provided by a news server subscription service, it is being
>>> used and possibly being edited or modified without my permission,
>>> in violation of US copyright laws.
>>
>> Oh please.
>>
>> What's your recourse?
>>
>> Answer:
>>
>> A civil action.
>>
>> Did you give permission to Google or any other news server
>> subscription service to reproduce your copyrighted musings? You are
>> going to include them in your suit as well, right?
>
>as long as they don't ****ing edit them.
>
>I am so not in the mood to argue this.

What's to argue?

Your only recourse, if you're truly serious and not just engaging in
some virtual foot stomping, is a civil action.

So you gave Google and the other new server subscription services
permission to reproduce your copyrighted musings with the condition
that they don't edit them?

I think it reprehensible that cycling
>forums is moderating and editing amb, or at least MY stuff, without
my
>permission.

So you're stamping your feet to show them?

Please.

Waving around "US copyright law violation" like it's going to make a
difference only makes the person waving look like they don't have any
sort of grasp on the situation.

Chris Glidden
October 30th 03, 05:22 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
om...
> The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
>
> JD

Now, now Penny Henny (Henny Penny?)

Penny S
October 30th 03, 05:28 PM
Chris Glidden spray painted on a boxcar:
> "JD" > wrote in message
> om...
>> The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
>>
>> JD
>
> Now, now Penny Henny (Henny Penny?)

I'm staying in my ****ing cave!!!!

( and then i'm going for a ride)

Chris Glidden
October 30th 03, 05:32 PM
"Penny S" > wrote in message
> Chris Glidden spray painted on a boxcar:
> > "JD" > wrote in message
> > om...
> >> The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
> >>
> >> JD
> >
> > Now, now Penny Henny (Henny Penny?)
>
> I'm staying in my ****ing cave!!!!
>
> ( and then i'm going for a ride)

Watch out for Foxy-Woxy in that cave of yours...

http://www.rickwalton.com/folktale/jacoba20.htm

cg

Penny S
October 30th 03, 05:43 PM
Chris Glidden spray painted on a boxcar:
> "Penny S" > wrote in message
>> Chris Glidden spray painted on a boxcar:
>>> "JD" > wrote in message
>>> om...

>>> Now, now Penny Henny (Henny Penny?)
>>
>> I'm staying in my ****ing cave!!!!
>>
>> ( and then i'm going for a ride)
>>

> Watch out for Foxy-Woxy in that cave of yours...
>
> http://www.rickwalton.com/folktale/jacoba20.htm
>
> cg

lalalalalalalalala I can't hear you.

pass the tin foil, I think the solar flares are giving me a severe case of
idioit-itis this week.

Monique Y. Herman
October 30th 03, 05:57 PM
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 at 17:04 GMT, P e t e F a g e r l i n penned:

> Your only recourse, if you're truly serious and not just engaging in
> some virtual foot stomping, is a civil action.
>
> So you gave Google and the other new server subscription services
> permission to reproduce your copyrighted musings with the condition
> that they don't edit them?
>
> I think it reprehensible that cycling
>>forums is moderating and editing amb, or at least MY stuff, without
> my
>>permission.
>
> So you're stamping your feet to show them?
>
> Please.
>
> Waving around "US copyright law violation" like it's going to make a
> difference only makes the person waving look like they don't have any
> sort of grasp on the situation.

It's called "raising awareness." Some people, reading through cycling
forums and other venues, may not realize that these posts are being
edited. Hrm, are these posts showing up there, or mysteriously
disappearing?

Googlegroups is acting as a news server. If a news server started
editing my posts (outside of removing binary attachments from non-binary
groups), I would be pretty ****ing ****ed.

I like the sig.

On the other hand, those of us who object to the practice should
probably email the forum admins in question and express our objections
directly.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Chris Glidden
October 30th 03, 06:10 PM
"Penny S" > wrote in message
> Chris Glidden spray painted on a boxcar:
> > "Penny S" > wrote in message
> >> Chris Glidden spray painted on a boxcar:

> >> I'm staying in my ****ing cave!!!!
> >>
> >> ( and then i'm going for a ride)
> >>

> > Watch out for Foxy-Woxy in that cave of yours...
> >
> > http://www.rickwalton.com/folktale/jacoba20.htm
> >
> > cg
>
> lalalalalalalalala I can't hear you.
>
> pass the tin foil, I think the solar flares are giving me a severe case of
> idioit-itis this week.

It happens to the best of us. Rest assured you are still well loved and
appreciated in spite of your case "idioit-itis". ;-)

cg

P e t e F a g e r l i n
October 30th 03, 07:20 PM
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:57:46 -0700, "Monique Y. Herman"
> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 at 17:04 GMT, P e t e F a g e r l i n penned:

>> Waving around "US copyright law violation" like it's going to make a
>> difference only makes the person waving look like they don't have any
>> sort of grasp on the situation.
>>

>It's called "raising awareness." Some people, reading through cycling
>forums and other venues, may not realize that these posts are being
>edited. Hrm, are these posts showing up there, or mysteriously
>disappearing?

"raising awareness" of what exactly? Editing out "bad" words?

Do you really think that your posts to amb are so important, precious,
and profound that "****ing bad language" should be made to be
reproduced, like it's a ****ing basic right or ****ing something?

>Googlegroups is acting as a news server. If a news server started
>editing my posts (outside of removing binary attachments from non-binary
>groups), I would be pretty ****ing ****ed.

Why?

>I like the sig.

I do too. It's hilarious, despite being not very well thought out.

>On the other hand, those of us who object to the practice should
>probably email the forum admins in question and express our objections
>directly.

I suggest making sandwich boards and forming a picket line.

Here's what could be on the sandwich boards:

"Boycott XYZ forum because they ****ing edited out my use of
"****ing'!!!!!

On the backside:

"**** XYZ forum, they violated my ****ing right to write ****ing"

pete fagerlin

::Revolutionary! Evolutionary! Yet so retro!
::www.yestubes.com

Sorni
October 30th 03, 09:15 PM
"Penny S" > wrote in message

> I'm staying in my ****ing cave!!!!

You have a room dedicated to just that?!?

Bill "no wonder cavemen were always smiling" S.

Michael Dart
November 2nd 03, 12:21 AM
"Penny S" > wrote in message
> Michael Dart spray painted on a boxcar:

> >> I'll tell ya what's weird, JD is in California and half the state is
> >> on fire. He goes back to CO and all of a sudden, CO is on fire....
> >> that's weird!
> >> --
> >> Slacker
> >>

> > Maybe he snagged an ember in his ponytail. *~:^o
> >
> > Mike
>
> He doens't have a ponytail anymore

Well I guess so. It's all burnt up. ;^)

Mike - I knew that. (Work with me 1¢)