PDA

View Full Version : UST rims

Per Elmsäter
October 29th 03, 09:52 PM
Hi

Has anybody tried mounting a regular tire on a Mavic X3.1 UST disc rim? I
haven't been able to find a studded tire for USt so I'd like to mount my
current Nokian Extremes on this wheel I'm about to build. All the other UST
rims from Mavic are clearly stated as ETRTO compatible except these.
Including X3.1 UST for Vbrakes and DX3.1 UST disc for downhill.
ETRTO means that you can mount either a UST or normal tire on the rim. Mind
you not just a tube in a UST tire but the whole tube and tire. I don't know
what you call them in English actually. In Swedish directly translated it
would be "Edgethreaded" tires. Meaning a thread is running all the way
around either edge ;)

--
Perre

Charles Beristain
October 30th 03, 02:41 AM
It would be interesting to use a stan's no tube rim strip with the
nokian extremes or WXC300's on mavic ust 3.1 rims... WITHOUT the tube.
http://notubes.com/ustrimstrip.htm

Although I've never tried it... I would think that one could put any
standard tire/tube on a UST rim and it would work just fine.

charlie

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 21:52:04 GMT, "Per Elmsäter"
> wrote:

> Hi
>
>Has anybody tried mounting a regular tire on a Mavic X3.1 UST disc rim? I
>haven't been able to find a studded tire for USt so I'd like to mount my
>current Nokian Extremes on this wheel I'm about to build. All the other UST
>rims from Mavic are clearly stated as ETRTO compatible except these.
>Including X3.1 UST for Vbrakes and DX3.1 UST disc for downhill.
>ETRTO means that you can mount either a UST or normal tire on the rim. Mind
>you not just a tube in a UST tire but the whole tube and tire. I don't know
>what you call them in English actually. In Swedish directly translated it
>would be "Edgethreaded" tires. Meaning a thread is running all the way
>around either edge ;)

Per Elmsäter
October 30th 03, 12:07 PM
Charles Beristain wrote:
> It would be interesting to use a stan's no tube rim strip with the
> nokian extremes or WXC300's on mavic ust 3.1 rims... WITHOUT the tube.
> http://notubes.com/ustrimstrip.htm
>
> Although I've never tried it... I would think that one could put any
> standard tire/tube on a UST rim and it would work just fine.

Very interesting. The thought had already occured to me.I will give it a try
for sure.
It seems according to Mavic that my rims are certified. The reason it says
nowhere is because they weren't certified from the beginning.
--
Perre

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
October 30th 03, 06:30 PM
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 02:41:52 GMT, Charles Beristain
> wrote:

>Although I've never tried it... I would think that one could put any
>standard tire/tube on a UST rim and it would work just fine.

It does. I've done it with Crossmax wheels, and plan on doing it
again with studded Nokian this winter.

Barry

Charles Beristain
October 30th 03, 09:57 PM
Ahhhh barry..
put those nokians on Snowcats to take full advantage of those great
tires. .. rims are 44mm wide. gives a much larger contact patch and
with more verticle sidewalls, less opportunity to pinch flat.
charlie

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 18:30:27 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
> wrote:

>It does. I've done it with Crossmax wheels, and plan on doing it
>again with studded Nokian this winter.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
October 31st 03, 02:28 AM
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:57:15 GMT, Charles Beristain
> wrote:

>Ahhhh barry..
>put those nokians on Snowcats to take full advantage of those great
>tires. .. rims are 44mm wide.

Do you know who distributes Snowcat rims?

I'll order some up and lace them to some nice disc hubs.

Barry

Charles Beristain
November 2nd 03, 02:37 AM
barry
simon of AWS ( all weather sports), invented and build/sold snowcat
rims... recently he went out of business... but you can be a local
distributor/retailer .. see this web page:

http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

you can see pics of mine at:

http://home.comcast.net/~mtbikes2/icebike/icebike.htm

the links on that page don't work as i haven't updated them since the
changeover from ATT to comcast.

charlie

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:28:01 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
> wrote:

>On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:57:15 GMT, Charles Beristain
> wrote:
>
>>Ahhhh barry..
>>put those nokians on Snowcats to take full advantage of those great
>>tires. .. rims are 44mm wide.
>
>Do you know who distributes Snowcat rims?
>
>I'll order some up and lace them to some nice disc hubs.
>
>Barry

B a r r y B u r k e J r .
November 2nd 03, 12:07 PM
On Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:37:36 GMT, Charles Beristain
> wrote:

>barry
>simon of AWS ( all weather sports), invented and build/sold snowcat
>rims... recently he went out of business... but you can be a local
>distributor/retailer .. see this web page:
>
>http://www.allweathersports.com/winter/snowcats.html

I looked them up yesterday in a program called "Bike-A-Log" we have at
the shop. I was trying to find out if any of our regular suppliers,
like QBP carried them. It seems as if he always sold direct.

>you can see pics of mine at:
>
>http://home.comcast.net/~mtbikes2/icebike/icebike.htm

I remember seeing yours one in person, but had forgotten about them.

Thanks,
Barry

Charles Beristain
November 10th 03, 12:03 PM
barry

I talked to Simon on the phone the other day... he will sell to LBS's

If your store is interested, email me and I'll send you his phone
number.

charlie

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home