PDA

View Full Version : another geek question: fork overhaul

w e i
November 6th 03, 08:25 PM
hi there
do you really send your front shock in for overhaul every 1 or 2 years?
my 2001 z-1 x-fly has got about 50 rides in the course of 2 years
(strictly trails, no crazy jumps, i am a 140lb small fellow). during the
last few rides, i felt there is a very slight bushing play in the fork.
it's not a big problem now. just want to check how often do you guys
overhaul the front shock.

my 2002 manitou black elite is still solid (maybe 25 rides), however,
the cheap plastic knobs on the crown are both broken

also, any good shop around nyc area would you recommend for the overhaul
job? (i have mixed feeling about sid's bike, they repacked a rolf rear
hub for me a while ago, charged me $30, 40 rides later the cassette hub
is broken, however i realize it might not have anything to do with them
at all)

thanks in advance

btw, any one has a rear cassette hub or a 24h hub for a rolf wheel? or
maybe a way to convert a rear hub with broken casset hub into single
speed? (just got into fixed gear finally and loves the idea of single
speed, have a old rocky cro-mo HT that's perfect for this, i even got
all the conversion bits 2 years ago)

--
way 2 xtr eme at hot ma il dot co m

Carla A-G
November 6th 03, 09:00 PM
"w e i" > wrote in message
> hi there
> do you really send your front shock in for overhaul every 1 or 2 years?
> my 2001 z-1 x-fly has got about 50 rides in the course of 2 years
> (strictly trails, no crazy jumps, i am a 140lb small fellow). during the
> last few rides, i felt there is a very slight bushing play in the fork.
> it's not a big problem now. just want to check how often do you guys
> overhaul the front shock.

Depending on how much you ride, the conditions you ride in, and the type of
rider...you should strive for an overhaul at least every 1-2 years.

> my 2002 manitou black elite is still solid (maybe 25 rides), however,
> the cheap plastic knobs on the crown are both broken

Contact Manitou, maybe they can send you replacements.

> also, any good shop around nyc area would you recommend for the overhaul
> job? (i have mixed feeling about sid's bike, they repacked a rolf rear
> hub for me a while ago, charged me $30, 40 rides later the cassette hub
> is broken, however i realize it might not have anything to do with them
> at all)

I don't hang out at any shops in the city, but if you ever manage to come
out to the island, go to Doug's shop, The Bike Junkie. He'll treat you
right.

> btw, any one has a rear cassette hub or a 24h hub for a rolf wheel? or
> maybe a way to convert a rear hub with broken casset hub into single
> speed? (just got into fixed gear finally and loves the idea of single
> speed, have a old rocky cro-mo HT that's perfect for this, i even got
> all the conversion bits 2 years ago)

Try this, you can actually make them yourself from a couple of used cd's:

http://www.offcamber.com/Product_Reviews/Discos.html

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

(Pete Cresswell)
November 7th 03, 02:19 AM
RE/
>do you really send your front shock in for overhaul every 1 or 2 years?
>my 2001 z-1 x-fly has got about 50 rides in the course of 2 years
>(strictly trails, no crazy jumps, i am a 140lb small fellow). during the
>last few rides, i felt there is a very slight bushing play in the fork.
>it's not a big problem now. just want to check how often do you guys
>overhaul the front shock.

Maybe I need to go back and read my 'zocci x-fly 100's so-called manual...but my
recollection is that there's nothing needed that can't be done by the user.

I've been just changing the oil every year. So far, so good. Sooner or later,
I guess it will be time to replace the seals...but that didn't seem to need any
special tools or anything.
--
PeteCresswell

miles todd
November 8th 03, 12:58 AM
(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

> I've been just changing the oil every year. So far, so good. Sooner or later,
> I guess it will be time to replace the seals...but that didn't seem to need any
> special tools or anything.

A screwdriver. A hammer. The only special tool you need is a really big
socket that fits perfectly on the seal all the way around so you can tap
it in evenly.

The job is as simple as you can imagine. The only thing you have to
watch out for is to not damage the paint when you pry up the old seals.

Miles

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home