PDA

View Full Version : Cleats - multi release or standard?

Tom
November 6th 03, 08:35 PM
I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
them.

Now do I go for the standard type, or multi release?

What the difference between them?

Cheers,
Tom

Sorni
November 6th 03, 08:39 PM
"Tom" > wrote in message
.. .
> I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
> them.
>
> Now do I go for the standard type, or multi release?
>
> What the difference between them?

Back when I used SPD's, I much preferred the standard cleats. The multi's
felt too mushy to me (no definite "click" in)...

Bill "Eggbeaters nowadays" S.

David
November 6th 03, 09:40 PM
"Tom" > wrote in message .. .
> I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
> them.

What kind of pedals do you have? While the cleats need to fit your shoes,
they really "go with" (and come with) your pedals. If you get Shimano pedals
that fit those two cleats, they'll probably come with single release. Switch if you
want. A google groups search will turn up a lot of discussion of this in the past.

FlyingCoyote
November 6th 03, 09:44 PM
: Bill "Eggbeaters nowadays" S.
:

Times, all the way.

XC Racing bike = Carbon Time ATAC's.
Cyclocross bike = Carbon Time ATAC's.
Singlesped = Time Z's.

--

FlyingCoyote
http://boarsgut.com

--

John Morgan
November 6th 03, 10:59 PM
> > I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
> > them.
>
> What kind of pedals do you have? While the cleats need to fit your shoes,
> they really "go with" (and come with) your pedals. If you get Shimano
pedals
> that fit those two cleats, they'll probably come with single release.
Switch if you
> want. A google groups search will turn up a lot of discussion of this in
the past.

Agreed. If you have Shimano pedals already and are just in need of cleats,
I recommend you buy the standard single-release cleats. There is plenty of
info about it here in this FAQ:

http://members.cox.net/jhnmorgan/mtb/CliplessFAQ.txt

-John Morgan

jack
November 6th 03, 11:26 PM
"FlyingCoyote" > wrote in message

> : Bill "Eggbeaters nowadays" S.
> :
>
> Times, all the way.
>
> XC Racing bike = Carbon Time ATAC's.
> Cyclocross bike = Carbon Time ATAC's.
> Singlesped = Time Z's.
>
> --
>
> FlyingCoyote
> http://boarsgut.com

For road bikes, I prefer Speedplays X series which would be equivalent to
single release. Don't like to accidently unclip in a final road sprint.
For mountain bikes, I'd prefer multi release so that I could bail from the
bike quicker.

Nowadays, I prefer Flats.

Flats Rule!!!!

Zilla
November 7th 03, 11:54 AM
"Tom" > wrote in message
.. .
> I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
> them.
>
> Now do I go for the standard type, or multi release?
>
> What the difference between them?
>
> Cheers,
> Tom

With the SH-51 single-release cleats, you have to twist your heel outwards
to unclip.
With the SH-55 multi-release, you can twist your foot any which way (as the
name implies)
to unclip.

--
- Zilla
Cary, NC

Mike Sparling
November 7th 03, 06:22 PM
Tom asks:
> I have just got myself some SPD shoes, and I need some cleats to go with
> them.
>
> Now do I go for the standard type, or multi release?
>
> What the difference between them?

I didn't see it mentioned by anyone else (although I am sure it is in one of
the FAQ's listed.)
The differences between the two type of cleats is both in how you release
and in the float provided by the cleat. The single-release cleats have 6
degrees or so (if memory serves) of float, while the multi-release cleats
have no float at all - which enables them to release from multiple
positions.

HTH,
Mike

John Morgan
November 11th 03, 06:12 PM
> > What the difference between them?
> >
> I didn't see it mentioned by anyone else (although I am sure it is in one
of
> the FAQ's listed.)
> The differences between the two type of cleats is both in how you release
> and in the float provided by the cleat. The single-release cleats have 6
> degrees or so (if memory serves) of float, while the multi-release cleats
> have no float at all - which enables them to release from multiple
> positions.

Both cleats have a 10 degree release angle, and neither have any float.
The multi-release just offer three methods of release instead of just one.

-John Morgan

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home