PDA

View Full Version : Quickest Release Cleats?

Edward Holt
November 9th 03, 10:48 AM
I've got a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet C combination egg beaters and flats
pedals.
I've been using the provided cleats that came with.

I'm assuming that I can use Shimano cleats with them and would be interested
in getting a set if they would allow faster release than the supplied Crank
Brothers cleats. I've read that the Shimano multi-release are the easiest to
get out of.

I like cleats - I just don't like falling off the bike and being unable to
release.

Michael Dart
November 9th 03, 11:16 AM
"Edward Holt" > wrote in message
.. .
> I've got a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet C combination egg beaters and
flats
> pedals.
> I've been using the provided cleats that came with.
>
> I'm assuming that I can use Shimano cleats with them and would be
interested
> in getting a set if they would allow faster release than the supplied
Crank
> Brothers cleats. I've read that the Shimano multi-release are the easiest
> get out of.
>
> I like cleats - I just don't like falling off the bike and being unable to
> release.

Incorrect assumption. If you want to use Shimano cleats you need Shimano
pedals. Just keep practicing you'll get the hang of it.

Mike

Michael Dart
November 9th 03, 11:17 AM
"Edward Holt" > wrote in message
.. .
> I've got a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet C combination egg beaters and
flats
> pedals.
> I've been using the provided cleats that came with.
>
> I'm assuming that I can use Shimano cleats with them and would be
interested
> in getting a set if they would allow faster release than the supplied
Crank
> Brothers cleats. I've read that the Shimano multi-release are the easiest
> get out of.
>
> I like cleats - I just don't like falling off the bike and being unable to
> release.

Oh and check to see if the sole of your shoe isn't hanging up on the
platform part of the Mallet. That may be what is giving you trouble.

Mike

D T W .../\\...
November 9th 03, 11:32 AM
"Edward Holt" > wrote in message
.. .
> I've got a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet C combination egg beaters and
flats
> pedals.
> I've been using the provided cleats that came with.
>
> I'm assuming that I can use Shimano cleats with them and would be
interested
> in getting a set if they would allow faster release than the supplied
Crank
> Brothers cleats. I've read that the Shimano multi-release are the easiest
> get out of.
>
> I like cleats - I just don't like falling off the bike and being unable to
> release.

The directions that came with my Egg Beater pedals says: "use only Egg
Beater cleats"

I assume that I can't use Shimano cleats.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Edward Holt
November 9th 03, 12:15 PM
"Michael Dart" > wrote in message

> "Edward Holt" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > I've got a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet C combination egg beaters and
> flats
> > pedals.
> > I've been using the provided cleats that came with.
> >
> > I'm assuming that I can use Shimano cleats with them and would be
> interested
> > in getting a set if they would allow faster release than the supplied
> Crank
> > Brothers cleats. I've read that the Shimano multi-release are the
easiest
> > get out of.
> >
> > I like cleats - I just don't like falling off the bike and being unable
> > release.
> >

> Oh and check to see if the sole of your shoe isn't hanging up on the
> platform part of the Mallet. That may be what is giving you trouble.
>
> Mike

Thanks for the feedback.

I can get into and out of of the Mallets much better than the Shimano pedals
that I'm used to - either SPD or SPD-R.
I'm just scare of falling of and not unclipping.

Edward Holt
November 9th 03, 12:16 PM
"D T W .../\..." > wrote in message
> "Edward Holt" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > I've got a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet C combination egg beaters and
> flats
> > pedals.
> > I've been using the provided cleats that came with.
> >
> > I'm assuming that I can use Shimano cleats with them and would be
> interested
> > in getting a set if they would allow faster release than the supplied
> Crank
> > Brothers cleats. I've read that the Shimano multi-release are the
easiest
> > get out of.
> >
> > I like cleats - I just don't like falling off the bike and being unable
> > release.
> >

> The directions that came with my Egg Beater pedals says: "use only Egg
> Beater cleats"
>
> I assume that I can't use Shimano cleats.
>
> --
> DTW .../\.../\.../\...
>
> I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
> The rest I've just wasted.

I didn't actually think to look at the manual.

Per Elmsäter
November 9th 03, 06:55 PM
Edward Holt wrote:
> I can get into and out of of the Mallets much better than the Shimano
> pedals that I'm used to - either SPD or SPD-R.
> I'm just scare of falling of and not unclipping.

Don't worry. You'll only do it once.

--
Perre

Johann S.
November 9th 03, 07:09 PM
Per Elms=E4ter Said:

> Edward Holt wrote:
> > I can get into and out of of the Mallets much better than the Shimano
> > pedals that I'm used to - either SPD or SPD-R.
> > I'm just scare of falling of and not unclipping.
>=20
> Don't worry. You'll only do it once.
>=20

I did it twice. Once before witnesses. :(

--=20

QUIPd 1.02: (91 of 671)
-> To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and, whatever you
-> hit, call it the target.
##2757 #'Mandrake Linux.'

Edward Holt
November 9th 03, 07:27 PM
"Per Elmsäter" > wrote in message
> Edward Holt wrote:
> > I can get into and out of of the Mallets much better than the Shimano
> > pedals that I'm used to - either SPD or SPD-R.
> > I'm just scare of falling of and not unclipping.
>
> Don't worry. You'll only do it once.
>
> --
> Perre
>
> You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.

Sadly not - that's why I'm scared.

Per Löwdin
November 9th 03, 09:05 PM
> I've read that the Shimano multi-release are the easiest to
> get out of.

Yes, they are easy to get out of. Can be used in terrain where many would
prefer flat pedals.
However, u have to have SPD pedals, they will hardly work with eggbeaters.

Per
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/MTB.html

Michael Dart
November 9th 03, 09:56 PM
"Edward Holt" > wrote in message
.. .
> "Michael Dart" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Edward Holt" > wrote in message
> > .. .
> > > I've got a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet C combination egg beaters and
> > flats
> > > pedals.
> > > I've been using the provided cleats that came with.
> > >
> > > I'm assuming that I can use Shimano cleats with them and would be
> > interested
> > > in getting a set if they would allow faster release than the supplied
> > Crank
> > > Brothers cleats. I've read that the Shimano multi-release are the
> easiest
> > > get out of.
> > >
> > > I like cleats - I just don't like falling off the bike and being
unable
> > > release.
> > >

> > Oh and check to see if the sole of your shoe isn't hanging up on the
> > platform part of the Mallet. That may be what is giving you trouble.
> >
> > Mike
> >

> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> I can get into and out of of the Mallets much better than the Shimano
pedals
> that I'm used to - either SPD or SPD-R.
> I'm just scare of falling of and not unclipping.

If yer skeert just say yer skeert, chicken ain't nothin but a bird. ;^)

It isn't bad I do it all the time. Just hang on to the bike and let your
thigh, hip and shoulder take the hit. If you stick an arm out to catch
yourself you can break it. Hopefully you aren't riding the rim of a
frickin' cliff when it happens. I threw myself down a 20 foot bank into a
creek this way once.

Mike

November 9th 03, 11:09 PM
On Sun, 09 Nov 2003 21:05:18 GMT, "Per Löwdin" >
wrote:

>> I've read that the Shimano multi-release are the easiest to
>> get out of.
>
>Yes, they are easy to get out of. Can be used in terrain where many would
>prefer flat pedals.
>However, u have to have SPD pedals, they will hardly work with eggbeaters.
>
>Per
>http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/MTB.html

Don't try Time cleats either, they are similar (and cheaper) but will
lock you in securely!
Martin

Charles Beristain
November 10th 03, 12:56 PM
On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 10:48:38 -0000, "Edward Holt"
> wrote:

>I've got a pair of Crank Brothers Mallet C combination egg beaters and flats
>pedals.

a few things you can do..

1) the cleats have either 15 or 20 degree release points...be sure you
have the cleats on the right foot.

2) clip the shoe on the pedal without your foot in it.. look to see if
the rubber cleats on the shoe interfer with the twisting motion
required to release.. grind down the shoe a little to give some
clearance.

3) use the cleats for a little bit.. they wear in quickly.

4) grind a little off each cleat.. that will make it easier to
release. Do a little bit at a time as there is no "going back".
I needed to do this when I first got my egg beaters... but after a
while I was popping out too often and I had to get a new set of
cleats.

charlie

Westie
November 12th 03, 11:16 AM
"Michael Dart" > wrote in message

> "Edward Holt" > wrote in message
> .. .
> > "Michael Dart" > wrote in message
> > >
> > > "Edward Holt" > wrote in message
> > > .. .
> > > flats

> > > interested
> > > Crank
> > easiest

> unable
> > > >

> > > Oh and check to see if the sole of your shoe isn't hanging up on the
> > > platform part of the Mallet. That may be what is giving you trouble.
> > >
> > > Mike
> > >

> > Thanks for the feedback.
> >
> > I can get into and out of of the Mallets much better than the Shimano
> pedals
> > that I'm used to - either SPD or SPD-R.
> > I'm just scare of falling of and not unclipping.
> >

> If yer skeert just say yer skeert, chicken ain't nothin but a bird. ;^)
>
> It isn't bad I do it all the time. Just hang on to the bike and let your
> thigh, hip and shoulder take the hit. If you stick an arm out to catch
> yourself you can break it. Hopefully you aren't riding the rim of a
> frickin' cliff when it happens. I threw myself down a 20 foot bank into a
> creek this way once.

Ouch. I know how you feel. Twelve months ago I nearly ended up going off a
'cliff' and then down a steep sided ravine this way as I stuffed up a
relatively simple small rocky incline on a narrow trail . I fell the wrong
way and didn't/couldn't clip out in time. Luckily a small tree, all of 3/4"
thick, held as I grabbed it on my way over. The bike grazed my shin as it
went. I still have a lump on the bone. The tree lives but was nearly
wrenched from the ground in the incident.
--
Westie - closet conservationist and tree hugger.
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home