PDA

View Full Version : Yet more trail work...

John Harlow
November 11th 03, 11:55 PM
Suzanne and I set out Saturday morning to meet a friend (Dave Yohe) to work
on reopening one of our favorite local trails "Buttermilk West". It was
heavily damaged from Isabel.

At the trailhead, we meet about 10 guys all wearing black T-shirts. We
introduced ourselves and said we were going to do some trail maintenance. I
suppose it was pretty obvious as we were carrying a rake, loppers and a
chain saw.

They said they were also there to work on the trails. They all work for the
local cable company (Comcast) and had volunteered to help build a new
section of the trail. The part they were to build included a perpendicular
crossing of a steep hill; it required shoring up the lower side with several
telephone poles held in place with rebar.

They were waiting for materials to arrive so they said they'd help us in the
meantime "as long as none of us owned a satellite dish!" they added jokingly
(I think!). These were some big fellas (Dave said "That's 2,000 pounds of
Comcast") and they were anxious to work. I got busy cutting up some large
trees spanning the trail; they quickly muscled the large log sections away.
Then we heard some metal clanging off in the distance and one said "They
dropped off our rebar! We'll be back later!" and off they went to build
their trail.

We cut, cleared and rerouted the trail all the way down to the habitually
wet sandy semi-creekbed part. It's pretty much a full fledged creek now; we
will have to do some bridging or rerouting to get past it.

Then we saw just past the creek where the trail used to be. It is a huge
quagmire of trees. We were quite bummed as we thought we'd cleared the bulk
of the blockage, but we discovered we hadn't by a long shot. We don't think
it's going to be practical to reopen the old trail; it looks like a
significant reroute will be needed.

We hiked back out of the trail and on the way out one of the Comcast guys
said "We're done; want to see it?" Of course we stopped to look at their
handywork. They did an enormous amount of work in a very short time. We
will definitely enjoy the fruits of their labor for years to come - thanks
Comcast!

Some pictures of the event are on
http://www.johnnyhouse.com/images/suzanne/comcastwest/gallery.asp

Michael Dart
November 12th 03, 12:12 AM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message
<snip>

> We cut, cleared and rerouted the trail all the way down to the habitually
> wet sandy semi-creekbed part. It's pretty much a full fledged creek now;
we
> will have to do some bridging or rerouting to get past it.

Plenty building materials now though.

> Then we saw just past the creek where the trail used to be. It is a huge
> quagmire of trees. We were quite bummed as we thought we'd cleared the
bulk
> of the blockage, but we discovered we hadn't by a long shot. We don't
think
> it's going to be practical to reopen the old trail; it looks like a
> significant reroute will be needed.

I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it looks
really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.

> We hiked back out of the trail and on the way out one of the Comcast guys
> said "We're done; want to see it?" Of course we stopped to look at their
> handywork. They did an enormous amount of work in a very short time. We
> will definitely enjoy the fruits of their labor for years to come - thanks
> Comcast!

Very good! Was that the section under the Nickel (25¢ toll) bridge?

Mike

Lou Sir
November 12th 03, 01:17 AM
> I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
> again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it looks
> really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.

As you are far more experienced than I at this, I'd definitely appreciate
your input. I might be able to take off some time friday afternoon - or I
can rouse a work party Saturday morning - or both. Let me know what's best
for you.

> Very good! Was that the section under the Nickel (25¢ toll) bridge?

You got it.

Paladin
November 12th 03, 02:22 AM
Lou Sir wrote:

>>I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
>>again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it looks
>>really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.
>>

> As you are far more experienced than I at this, I'd definitely appreciate
> your input. I might be able to take off some time friday afternoon - or I
> can rouse a work party Saturday morning - or both. Let me know what's best
> for you.
>

>>Very good! Was that the section under the Nickel (25¢ toll) bridge?
>>

> You got it.

That's some major trail clearing and rebuilding you guys are doing. Guess it pays now and then to ride the desert.

Paladin

John Harlow
November 12th 03, 02:56 AM
> I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
> again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it looks
> really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.

As you are far more experienced than I at this, I'd definitely appreciate
your input. I might be able to take off some time friday afternoon - or I
can rouse a work party Saturday morning - or both. Let me know what's best
for you.

> Very good! Was that the section under the Nickel (25¢ toll) bridge?

You got it.

Michael Dart
November 12th 03, 03:38 AM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message
> > I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
> > again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it
looks
> > really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.
>
> As you are far more experienced than I at this, I'd definitely appreciate
> your input. I might be able to take off some time friday afternoon - or I
> can rouse a work party Saturday morning - or both. Let me know what's best
> for you.

I should be up for both if you want. Name the time.

Mike

JD
November 12th 03, 06:15 PM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message >...
> Suzanne and I set out Saturday morning to meet a friend (Dave Yohe) to work
> on reopening one of our favorite local trails "Buttermilk West". It was
> heavily damaged from Isabel.

That's much better than wakeboarding in a polluted river now, isn't it?

JD

John Harlow
November 12th 03, 06:47 PM
> > Suzanne and I set out Saturday morning to meet a friend (Dave Yohe) to
work
> > on reopening one of our favorite local trails "Buttermilk West". It was
> > heavily damaged from Isabel.
>
> That's much better than wakeboarding in a polluted river now, isn't it?
>
> JD

I'd certainly rather have the option!

D H
November 13th 03, 12:52 AM
"Michael Dart" > wrote in message

> "John Harlow" > wrote in message
> <snip>
> >
> > We cut, cleared and rerouted the trail all the way down to the
habitually
> > wet sandy semi-creekbed part. It's pretty much a full fledged creek
now;
> we
> > will have to do some bridging or rerouting to get past it.
>
> Plenty building materials now though.
>

> > Then we saw just past the creek where the trail used to be. It is a
huge
> > quagmire of trees. We were quite bummed as we thought we'd cleared the
> bulk
> > of the blockage, but we discovered we hadn't by a long shot. We don't
> think
> > it's going to be practical to reopen the old trail; it looks like a
> > significant reroute will be needed.
> >

> I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
> again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it looks
> really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.

Great CAN DO attitude, Mike. Great work, John. Take the trails back
ASAP. It gets harder to do the more time goes by. Everything that stays
there through the winter will increase the number of weeds and other brush
that will try to grow up under and around these downed trees.
I salute your work!!!! \
And thanks to the Comcast tonnage, too! Now if you can get those boys
hooked on crankin' pedals, you'll have the ultimate trail crew for the
future!! I wonder if they're available to come to Douthat and help
shore up some sidehill sections with more poles? Hmmm.......
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Michael Dart
November 13th 03, 03:47 AM
"D H" > wrote in message
> "Michael Dart" > wrote in message
> >
> > "John Harlow" > wrote in message
> > <snip>
> > >
> > > We cut, cleared and rerouted the trail all the way down to the
> habitually
> > > wet sandy semi-creekbed part. It's pretty much a full fledged creek
> now;
> > we
> > > will have to do some bridging or rerouting to get past it.
> >
> > Plenty building materials now though.
> >

> > > Then we saw just past the creek where the trail used to be. It is a
> huge
> > > quagmire of trees. We were quite bummed as we thought we'd cleared
the
> > bulk
> > > of the blockage, but we discovered we hadn't by a long shot. We don't
> > think
> > > it's going to be practical to reopen the old trail; it looks like a
> > > significant reroute will be needed.
> > >

> > I don't think it goes very far around the bend before the trail is clear
> > again. Wanna give it a try this weekend or this Friday? I know it
looks
> > really bad but as we found at Pocahontas it is do-able.
>
> Great CAN DO attitude, Mike. Great work, John. Take the trails back
> ASAP. It gets harder to do the more time goes by. Everything that stays
> there through the winter will increase the number of weeds and other brush
> that will try to grow up under and around these downed trees.
> I salute your work!!!! \
> And thanks to the Comcast tonnage, too! Now if you can get those boys
> hooked on crankin' pedals, you'll have the ultimate trail crew for the
> future!! I wonder if they're available to come to Douthat and help
> shore up some sidehill sections with more poles? Hmmm.......
> --
> Off to ride the mountains, D H
> Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Thanks! If you can figure out a way to get 'em up there we got's some poles
for those sidehills! ;^)

Still want to get up there and ride but probably will have to wait till
spring now.

Mike

D H
November 14th 03, 06:14 PM
"Michael Dart" > wrote in message
> Thanks! If you can figure out a way to get 'em up there we got's some
poles
> for those sidehills! ;^)
>
> Still want to get up there and ride but probably will have to wait till
> spring now.
>
> Mike

Give me a shout when you do. And if you change your mind, the riding is
still great this through the winter, especially if we don't get much snow
piled up. I'm selfishly hoping for a __slight__ drought again.
Not really, but maybe just an AVERAGE winter would be nice. I don't want
one of those old time winters with buckets of snow sitting on the trails all
year and waiting to descend with a vengeange come spring rains! (Sorry to
all you skiers who are hoping for this!)
I guess if it does come to that, though, I'll just try to get in lots of
time on cross country skis instead of the bike.
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Michael Dart
November 14th 03, 11:13 PM
"D H" > wrote in message

> "Michael Dart" > wrote in message
> > Thanks! If you can figure out a way to get 'em up there we got's some
> poles
> > for those sidehills! ;^)
> >
> > Still want to get up there and ride but probably will have to wait till
> > spring now.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Give me a shout when you do. And if you change your mind, the riding
is
> still great this through the winter, especially if we don't get much snow
> piled up. I'm selfishly hoping for a __slight__ drought again.
> Not really, but maybe just an AVERAGE winter would be nice. I don't
want
> one of those old time winters with buckets of snow sitting on the trails
all
> year and waiting to descend with a vengeange come spring rains! (Sorry to
> all you skiers who are hoping for this!)
> I guess if it does come to that, though, I'll just try to get in lots
of
> time on cross country skis instead of the bike.
> --

I was there last February for a weekend. The daily high was about 36F and
sunny. Absolutely beautiful conditions. The ground stayed frozen all day
and kept things from getting muddy. I'll keep wishing for snow across the
border (WV) to keep the skiier in me happy.

http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/more_at_douthat

Mike

D H
November 16th 03, 05:32 AM
"Michael Dart" > wrote in message

> I was there last February for a weekend. The daily high was about 36F and
> sunny. Absolutely beautiful conditions. The ground stayed frozen all day
> and kept things from getting muddy. I'll keep wishing for snow across the
> border (WV) to keep the skiier in me happy.

I'll hope for that with you. They can have it ALL and make y'all happy,
and we'll try to stay DRY and then you can choose either world of fun
whenever you want to!
About the first or second year I moved to this area ('84), we had back
to back foot-deep snowstorms, 3 days apart, early enough in winter to last a
long time. I was able to X-C ski out there for weeks on that stuff. That was
pre-biking days, and I didn't mind it. Now, I'd be going crazy, I'm afraid.
Oh well, seasons change, eh?

> http://www.pbase.com/mrdart/more_at_douthat

Thanks for sharing the pics. Mountain side trail is THE trail in winter,
as it creates its own micro-climate of warmth as the sun just bakes that tan
slate. It's like riding into a warming room when you get there.
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home