PDA

View Full Version : After the Fire ~Video~

Michael Paul
November 12th 03, 05:50 AM
Thanks to MountainBike Bill for hosting this for me since otherwise I'd have
no way of getting the video out beyond a small group of people.

Anyway, I rode a trail Saturday that was right in the path of the Cedar Fire
that swept through San Diego two weeks ago. I had filmed this ride once
before when the vegetation was plentiful and I figured that recording it
again would be a good contrast to show the before and after states of the
trail.

I rode the same trails in the first video (before) that I did in the second
video. I also did an additional trail in the second but the terrain is
basically the same.

So, check out the before:

www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/Anderson.mpg

And After:

www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AndersonAfter.mpg

Michael

Slacker
November 12th 03, 06:23 AM
> Thanks to MountainBike Bill for hosting this for me since otherwise I'd
have
> no way of getting the video out beyond a small group of people.
>
> Anyway, I rode a trail Saturday that was right in the path of the Cedar
Fire
> that swept through San Diego two weeks ago. I had filmed this ride once
> before when the vegetation was plentiful and I figured that recording it
> again would be a good contrast to show the before and after states of the
> trail.
>
> I rode the same trails in the first video (before) that I did in the
second
> video. I also did an additional trail in the second but the terrain is
> basically the same.
>
> So, check out the before:
>
> www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/Anderson.mpg
>
> And After:
>
> www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AndersonAfter.mpg
>
> Michael

Dang, that place got scorched! That wasn't Anderson, it was Mars or
something!
--
Slacker

Jon Bond
November 12th 03, 06:32 AM
"Michael Paul" <mfpaul > wrote in message
.. .
> Thanks to MountainBike Bill for hosting this for me since otherwise I'd
have
> no way of getting the video out beyond a small group of people.
>
> Anyway, I rode a trail Saturday that was right in the path of the Cedar
Fire
> that swept through San Diego two weeks ago. I had filmed this ride once
> before when the vegetation was plentiful and I figured that recording it
> again would be a good contrast to show the before and after states of the
> trail.
>
> I rode the same trails in the first video (before) that I did in the
second
> video. I also did an additional trail in the second but the terrain is
> basically the same.
>
> So, check out the before:
>
> www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/Anderson.mpg
>
> And After:
>
> www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AndersonAfter.mpg
>
> Michael

Yowch. As your governor would say : "Feel the burn!"

At least the trail still seems fairly intact, if in need of a little love to
stop erosion.

(btw, the sound at the end is kind of messed up... and you totally should
have taken that animal for a new trailhead sign or a mojo!)

Jon Bond

Michael Paul
November 12th 03, 06:48 AM
yeah, not sure why the sound is all f'd up like that. I actually muted the
audio track for those last two clips after hearing it in the last revision.
Bizarre but I didn't want to take the time to try and figure it out.

the audio of hte last clip actually mentioned taking the bunny for a mojo
but that's just sort of morbid don't ya think! :-)

Michael

Sven
November 12th 03, 06:53 AM
In article >,
"Michael Paul" <mfpaul > wrote:

> yeah, not sure why the sound is all f'd up like that. I actually muted the

What camera were you using and how did you mount it to the helmet ?

Pretty spectacular shooting.

-Sven

John Morgan
November 12th 03, 08:05 AM
Excellent vid. My favorite part was the crispy rabbit at the end. LOL!

And who was the yellow shirted weenie that kept dabbing the cleanable
sections?

-John Morgan

Jon Bond
November 12th 03, 05:09 PM
"John Morgan" > wrote in message
> Excellent vid. My favorite part was the crispy rabbit at the end. LOL!
>
> And who was the yellow shirted weenie that kept dabbing the cleanable
> sections?
>
> -John Morgan

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Hell, he looked fine too, and the dabs
were more a safety net thing than anything, he woulda been fine if he just
stayed on his pedals. Plus whenever he went to do it he'd plan it way in
advance and his weight would go way forwards, which is just askin' for
trouble - kind of a self fulfilling prophecy!

Jon Bond

Chris Glidden
November 12th 03, 05:35 PM
"Michael Paul" filmed:
<SNIP Text>
> So, check out the before:
>
> www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/Anderson.mpg
>
> And After:
>
> www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AndersonAfter.mpg
>
> Michael

Very erie. Reminds me of riding El Moro after the Laguna fires 10 years
ago. The smell stays with you for a long time. Thanks for the vid.

cg

JD
November 12th 03, 06:13 PM
"Michael Paul" <mfpaul > wrote in message >...
> www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AndersonAfter.mpg

Dig the Crispy Critter(tm) at the end.

Look at the bright side, no bushes = unlimited field of view, which =
go faster safely.

Yeah, who was the "dabber"?

JD

Sorni
November 12th 03, 07:00 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
om...
> "Michael Paul" <mfpaul > wrote in message
> > www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AndersonAfter.mpg
>
> Dig the Crispy Critter(tm) at the end.
>
> Look at the bright side, no bushes = unlimited field of view, which =
> go faster safely.
>
> Yeah, who was the "dabber"?

I'm starting to be VERY glad I didn't go on that ride!

Bill "slo-mo rider from the FIRST vid" S.

miles todd
November 12th 03, 09:24 PM
Chris Phillipo wrote:
>>>So, check out the before:
>>>
>>>www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/Anderson.mpg
>>>
>>>And After:
>>>
>>>www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AndersonAfter.mpg
>>>
>>>Michael
>>

> Why do that call it Anderson Truck Trail?

As I understand it, way back a hundred years ago or so it was the main
route to get from the town of Alpine to what is now called the Viejas
Valley. The road was built mainly to connect the Anderson Ranch to
civilization. As you can see from the Post-Toast video it is pretty
wide, but as youn can see in the Pre-Toast video, it was so overgrown it
had become singletrack long ago.

Here in San Diego County we have a number of Truck Trails. Anderson,
Mason Valley, Oriflamme Canyon... That's just what the primitive roads
were called.

Miles

Destroy
November 13th 03, 12:15 AM
Interesting. Now you westerners know what winter looks like in deciduous
regions. :)

TJ
November 13th 03, 05:35 AM
"Michael Paul" <mfpaul > wrote in message
.. .
> Thanks to MountainBike Bill for hosting this for me since otherwise I'd
have
> no way of getting the video out beyond a small group of people.
>
> Anyway, I rode a trail Saturday that was right in the path of the Cedar
Fire
> that swept through San Diego two weeks ago. I had filmed this ride once
> before when the vegetation was plentiful and I figured that recording it
> again would be a good contrast to show the before and after states of the
> trail.
>
> I rode the same trails in the first video (before) that I did in the
second
> video. I also did an additional trail in the second but the terrain is
> basically the same.
>
> So, check out the before:
>
> www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/Anderson.mpg
>
> And After:
>
> www.mountainbikebill.com/videos/MFP/AndersonAfter.mpg
>
> Michael

Time for some reforestation. Maybe some seedlings that get a little bigger
than gamble oak & chapparal.(sp)

TJ

Michael Paul
November 13th 03, 06:33 AM
"Destroy" > wrote in message

> Interesting. Now you westerners know what winter looks like in deciduous
> regions. :)

well, I was born in Boston and lived in Eastern NY for a few years as well
so I remember fall. But I seem to recollect that the leaves fell from
higher than 4 feet!

Michael

Michael Paul
November 13th 03, 06:34 AM
"John Morgan" > wrote in message
> Excellent vid. My favorite part was the crispy rabbit at the end. LOL!
>
> And who was the yellow shirted weenie that kept dabbing the cleanable
> sections?
>
> -John Morgan

Yeah, not sure why he did that. I didn't include the clips to point that
out but the sections he did it were sections I wanted to include in the
video. He's a very capable rider so i don't know if he was just caught off
guard by a few sections or what the deal really was.

Michael

M Brundage
November 13th 03, 12:15 PM
"TJ" > wrote in message

> Time for some reforestation. Maybe some seedlings that get a little
bigger
> than gamble oak & chapparal.(sp)
>
> TJ

Natural Selection has already chosen the plants that thrive well in this
region, TJ. These plants will recover within a few years from the fire in a
few growing seasons. The worst problem will be erosion and given the small
amount of rainfall there that's not likely. Let's just hope that the rainy
season coming in a couple of months doesn't wash the trail away.

I watched the recovery from several smaller fires while I lived in Daygo.
The charred plants you see aren't completely dead. The roots and larger
branches survive and will be sprouting leaves with the next rain and many of
the smaller plants count on the fire to crack open their seeds.

I would like to see more Yuka plants though. They're a rare treat in the
high chaparral ;-)

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
MBrundage@ease

Michael Paul
November 13th 03, 03:01 PM
"miles todd" > wrote in message

> > Why do that call it Anderson Truck Trail?
>

> As I understand it, way back a hundred years ago or so it was the main
> route to get from the town of Alpine to what is now called the Viejas
> Valley. The road was built mainly to connect the Anderson Ranch to
> civilization. As you can see from the Post-Toast video it is pretty
> wide, but as youn can see in the Pre-Toast video, it was so overgrown it
> had become singletrack long ago.
>
> Here in San Diego County we have a number of Truck Trails. Anderson,
> Mason Valley, Oriflamme Canyon... That's just what the primitive roads
> were called.
>
> Miles

the actual truck trail is only one of the trails that is ridden but since
it's the opening 3-6 miles and the finishing 3 miles of the ride the ride
itself is simply called Anderson Truck Trail or ATT. there are several side
loops with other names such as World Cup, Sidewinder, and No Name that peel
off of the truck trail.

There was more footage of the actual truck trail in the first video but
after looking at the footage from the seond ride it doesn't look that
interesting wtihout the vegetation since it really is quite wide.
Pre-toast, it was a very fun trail that had evolved into a ST in most places
so even though you know it was fairly wide, you didn't really know how wide
it really was. Now, it's just like any other fireroad in the area! even
though the line still may be narrow, the wideness of the trail is definately
noticable.

Miles forgot the Harding Truck Trail as another one of the trails in the
area. There are many more and some of them have also degraded to mostly ST
due to vegetation even though they're still called truck trails.

Michael

TJ
November 13th 03, 03:15 PM
"M Brundage" > wrote in message

> "TJ" > wrote in message
> >
> > Time for some reforestation. Maybe some seedlings that get a little
> bigger
> > than gamble oak & chapparal.(sp)
> >
> > TJ
> >

> Natural Selection has already chosen the plants that thrive well in this
> region, TJ. These plants will recover within a few years from the fire in
> few growing seasons. The worst problem will be erosion and given the small
> amount of rainfall there that's not likely. Let's just hope that the rainy
> season coming in a couple of months doesn't wash the trail away.
>
> I watched the recovery from several smaller fires while I lived in Daygo.
> The charred plants you see aren't completely dead. The roots and larger
> branches survive and will be sprouting leaves with the next rain and many
of
> the smaller plants count on the fire to crack open their seeds.
>
> I would like to see more Yuka plants though. They're a rare treat in the
> high chaparral ;-)
>
> --
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> MBrundage@ease
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I would like to see some ponderosa pines in that area.

TJ

Sorni
November 13th 03, 05:46 PM
"Chris Phillipo" > wrote in message
.. .

> We have a trail here that I don't know the name of but it's a wagon
> trail, you can see the grooves worn in the rock from the old wagon
> wheels with steel hoops.

And there was a kook -- "Chester V*ndeman" -- who used to write letters to
the town paper complaining about this horrendous environmental devastation.

Bill "look it up" S.

miles todd
November 13th 03, 08:17 PM
TJ wrote:
> "M Brundage" > wrote in message
>
>>"TJ" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Time for some reforestation. Maybe some seedlings that get a little
>>
>>bigger
>>
>>>than gamble oak & chapparal.(sp)
>>>
>>>TJ
>>>

>>Natural Selection has already chosen the plants that thrive well in this
>>region, TJ. These plants will recover within a few years from the fire in

>>few growing seasons. The worst problem will be erosion and given the small
>>amount of rainfall there that's not likely. Let's just hope that the rainy
>>season coming in a couple of months doesn't wash the trail away.
>>
>>I watched the recovery from several smaller fires while I lived in Daygo.
>>The charred plants you see aren't completely dead. The roots and larger
>>branches survive and will be sprouting leaves with the next rain and many
>
> of
>
>>the smaller plants count on the fire to crack open their seeds.
>>
>>I would like to see more Yuka plants though. They're a rare treat in the
>>high chaparral ;-)
>>
>>--
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>> MBrundage@ease
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>

> I would like to see some ponderosa pines in that area.
>
> TJ

Never happen. Too hot and too dry. The pine forests we do get (at much
higher elevations) are Coulter and Penny pines, both of which are
fire-adapted. The pine forests that burned completely will take a while
to recover, but as has been pointed out, we'll have green shoots in a
month or two. The chaparral is EXTREMELY quick to recover. In fact,
that is one of the ecosystems main defenses against non-native plants
encroaching. In fact, many view this as good in the long run for the
local environment. The introduced species will take decades to return,
but the native plants will be back in a couple of years.

Miles

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home