PDA

View Full Version : Horizontal Idling?

Pietro Ippolito
May 11th 04, 12:19 PM
Please can anyone tell me how to horizontal idling?

Thank you very much.

Pietro.

elmer
May 11th 04, 01:39 PM
Now, this is a strange question, Pietro, seeing as to how up until a few
minutes ago I had never heard of such a thing!

Maybe you could explain to me how it differs in appearance from regular
idling? Does your body have to be horizontal, or just your cranks? Or
am I missing something?

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

JJuggle
May 11th 04, 01:47 PM
This has been referred to as circus idling, and yes, it is the cranks
that are horizontal, not the rider. I can't do it, but here are a couple
of threads on the subject.

'Thread 1' (http://tinyurl.com/39ghx)
'Thread 2' (http://tinyurl.com/26xu7)

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

'6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
(http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

*Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball!*
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

elmer
May 11th 04, 02:07 PM
There is always someone smarter than I ever am. Thank you JJuggle for
that answer. Now I have something new to try:p

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

JJuggle
May 11th 04, 02:13 PM
elmer wrote:
> *There is always someone smarter than I ever am. Thank you JJuggle
> for that answer. Now I have something new to try:p *
Smart has nothing to do with it. Spending way too much time on this
newsgroup does. :)

Good luck. I tried it half-heartedly this past weekend. Yikes.

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

--
JJuggle - Last of the Dogmato-Revisionists

'6th Annual LBI Unithon - Sat, June 5, 2004'
(http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon)

*Do Not Taunt Happy Fun Ball!*
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

muniracer
May 11th 04, 03:48 PM
i cant circus idle very well, but i have started to leanr how in a round
about way. in my hopping practice i have been trying to get better at
still stands before trying a high hop and a small circus idle is what
evolved. i will get into position, stillstand a second, then do maybe
three or four small circus idles (very small, so that the wheel only
moves a couple inches side to side) then stillstand again before
actually hopping. if i worked at circus idling i could probably get it
pretty fast since i already know the motion. so the point is that
circus idling definitely has some practical use that regular idling does
not.

--
muniracer - Hell On Wheel

The Hell on Wheel Unicycle Gang owns you!!

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albuq25
muniracer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4339

treepotato
May 11th 04, 04:28 PM
i love idling i mastered the one foot but horizontal now that sounds
like a challenge...

--
treepotato - No brakes, No limits.........Felix

Some unicycles can give nasty pedal bites.....i still have the scars to
prove it
treepotato's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3942

john_childs
May 11th 04, 05:22 PM
treepotato wrote:
> *i love idling i mastered the one foot but horizontal now that sounds
> like a challenge... *

It is, and it's great fun. I'm not very good at the horizontal idle,
but I can do it.

Here's a little help guide on unicycling.org about the 'Horizontal Idle'
(http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/hidle.html)

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

johnfoss
May 11th 04, 06:49 PM
Circus idle. Eww. What's it got to do with the circus? In circuses on
the rare occasions when I see a unicycle, there usually isn't any idling
involved at all. Usually it's just a ride through. Even in Cirque du
Soleil's "O" (that was an ultimate wheel)!

Horizontal idle isn't a very clever name, but it explains the motion
pretty well. I think names like these will suit us better until our
sport is more widespread.

Regular idling is much easier to do one-footed!

I was first shown the concept by Larry Steele, the promoter of the World
Wheelers unicycle basketball team. He explained that this was a very
flexible position from which to move off nearly instantly. From a
regular idle, if you're at the wrong pedal position, you have to roll
back before you can roll away. In a horizontal idle if you need the
rollback you can do it real quick.

--
johnfoss - Walkin' on the edge

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"We choose to go to the Moon in this decade and do the other things, not
because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy,
1961

newtouni
May 12th 04, 11:28 AM
I can't idle, but when I try the horizonal position seems more natural
to me. Which tells me I need to change that to the easier position (for
learning) or join the circus.

--
newtouni - Self Proclaimed Unicycling Dufus

Download UniCalc
(The Unicycle Calculator) free from
http://www.ironjungle.com/
newtouni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5465