PDA

View Full Version : spoke tensionometer: overkill?

deegan
November 16th 03, 12:43 AM
Do i really need one of these things? I start truing with the wheel as loose
as possible, and keep stressing the wheel. When i get the wheel round and
true and there is no further movement after stressing, i'm done. Right? I
stress it relatively strenuously, so do I really need a tensionometer?
Jobst, you out there?
Regards
Buz

Michael Dart
November 16th 03, 01:00 AM
"deegan" > wrote in message
> Do i really need one of these things? I start truing with the wheel as
loose
> as possible, and keep stressing the wheel. When i get the wheel round and
> true and there is no further movement after stressing, i'm done. Right? I
> stress it relatively strenuously, so do I really need a tensionometer?
> Jobst, you out there?
> Regards
> Buz

Jobst doesn't hang here with us smelly mtb'ers. You can find him over at
rec.bicycles.tech.

IMO. No you don't really need one. I use a Wheelsmith one because it makes
it easier to obtain even tension throughout a wheel which is the key to
building a wheel that 'stands'. You can use the pluck and tone method as
well to gauge tension. Hell, you don't even need a truing stand and just
use your frame to build a wheel but havig a stand makes it easier and more
comfortable.

I've found the tensiometer is useful too in truing wheels as it helps you
decide which spoke to tighten or loosen. Or if a rim is fooked because it
takes such wild variations in tension to get it true.

BTW, If you go over to wreck.bike.teck you'll want to spell 'tensiometer'
correctly if you want to get positive attention from Jobst. ;^)

Mike

(Pete Cresswell)
November 16th 03, 02:20 AM
RE/
> When i get the wheel round and
>true and there is no further movement after stressing, i'm done. Right?

My rationale for buying one was that you can still overstress the eyelets by
putting too much tension on the spokes - even or uneven, to much is still too
much.
--
PeteCresswell

Google