PDA

View Full Version : Female mtn bike Xmas gift ideas?

Destroy
November 16th 03, 03:50 AM
Its getting to that time of year again.

I'm looking to get the gf some gear. She always complains that women
bikers tend to look like guys when they don the usual jerseys, helmet
and shorts.

Any mtn bike clothes out there that makes a definite female statement
when worn? ...besides a G string bikini...heh.

I did see a pic of some women in a mini skirt with short legged riding
shorts underneath and that was kind of cool.

Also I remember some mag showing a woman racer with lace sleeves on a
jersey.

Anyone know where I can buy some stuff like this for the gf?

thanks

John Morgan
November 16th 03, 04:33 AM
> Any mtn bike clothes out there that makes a definite female statement
> when worn? ...besides a G string bikini...heh.

Try Castelli for women or Shebeest.

-John Morgan

Anthony Sloan
November 16th 03, 04:38 AM
Destroy wrote:
> Its getting to that time of year again.
>
> I'm looking to get the gf some gear. She always complains that women
> bikers tend to look like guys when they don the usual jerseys, helmet
> and shorts.
>
> Any mtn bike clothes out there that makes a definite female statement
> when worn? ...besides a G string bikini...heh.
>
> I did see a pic of some women in a mini skirt with short legged riding
> shorts underneath and that was kind of cool.
>
> Also I remember some mag showing a woman racer with lace sleeves on a
> jersey.
>
> Anyone know where I can buy some stuff like this for the gf?
>
> thanks

Mini skirt thingy = Skort, from Terry.

Aside from things skort, this, I think, is a good goal:

http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/sshoney.jpg

Paladin
November 16th 03, 06:10 AM
Destroy > wrote in message >...
> Its getting to that time of year again.
>
> I'm looking to get the gf some gear. She always complains that women
> bikers tend to look like guys when they don the usual jerseys, helmet
> and shorts.
>
> Any mtn bike clothes out there that makes a definite female statement
> when worn? ...besides a G string bikini...heh.
>
> I did see a pic of some women in a mini skirt with short legged riding
> shorts underneath and that was kind of cool.
>
> Also I remember some mag showing a woman racer with lace sleeves on a
> jersey.
>
> Anyone know where I can buy some stuff like this for the gf?
>
> thanks

One spot to consider is the Terry company. I've dealt with them, and
they're terrific. Good customer service, back up their warranties,
etc.

Some ideas are feminine-designed baggies, because not every woman
wants her derrier the object of so much fascination by fellow male
riders. Smaller full-fingered gloves, warm base layers of polypro,
capilene or such, since women tend to run colder than men. Look at
custom-made stuff by Penny from the ng; there are lots of options.

Paladin

Kathleen
November 16th 03, 03:52 PM
Anthony Sloan wrote:

> Destroy wrote:
>
>> Its getting to that time of year again.
>>
>> I'm looking to get the gf some gear. She always complains that women
>> bikers tend to look like guys when they don the usual jerseys, helmet
>> and shorts.
>>
>> Any mtn bike clothes out there that makes a definite female statement
>> when worn? ...besides a G string bikini...heh.
>>
>> I did see a pic of some women in a mini skirt with short legged riding
>> shorts underneath and that was kind of cool.
>>
>> Also I remember some mag showing a woman racer with lace sleeves on a
>> jersey.
>>
>> Anyone know where I can buy some stuff like this for the gf?
>>
>> thanks
>>

> Mini skirt thingy = Skort, from Terry.

I own three of Terry's skorts. Mostly I use them for running flyball
with my dogs, riding my recumbent bike and general around-town wear.
For those purposes, they can't be beat. Nice flattering look with full
coverage even in high winds and awkward squatting and kneeling positions.

I've only worn a skort mountain biking once. I disliked the tendency of
the over-skirt to flap in the wind, it tended to grap and bind after I
got thoroughly sweaty and worst of all, it wanted to hang up on the nose
of the saddle. Plus, I felt just plain silly riding in a skirt. I would
not recommend a skort for technical off-road riding.

> Aside from things skort, this, I think, is a good goal:
>
> http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/sshoney.jpg

What the hell are those things in front of her knees?

Kathleen

Sorni
November 16th 03, 03:55 PM
"Kathleen" > wrote in message

> > http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/sshoney.jpg
>
> What the hell are those things in front of her knees?

Whipped cream bows.

Bill " :) " S.

Stephen Baker
November 16th 03, 03:55 PM
Kathleen asks:

>What the hell are those things in front of her knees?

They would be cutesy little bows, K. I guess they are a handicap device (more
wind resistance). ;-)

Steve

Penny S
November 16th 03, 04:11 PM
Destroy's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
> Its getting to that time of year again.
>
> I'm looking to get the gf some gear. She always complains that women
> bikers tend to look like guys when they don the usual jerseys, helmet
> and shorts.
>
> Any mtn bike clothes out there that makes a definite female statement
> when worn? ...besides a G string bikini...heh.
>
> I did see a pic of some women in a mini skirt with short legged riding
> shorts underneath and that was kind of cool.
>
> Also I remember some mag showing a woman racer with lace sleeves on a
> jersey.
>
> Anyone know where I can buy some stuff like this for the gf?
>
> thanks

Personally I wouldn't be caught dead mountain biking in a "skort" but that's
just me. www.teamestrogen.com has female only bike gear, a full selection
not just one brand. They also have saddles, and all sorts of other female
specific items.
Most of the catalogs (performance, nashbar) have some sort of selection of
women's gear, just look for the section. I'd caution on the baggies
suggestions, a gift certificate might be better for those - For me at least
I've tried on about 7 different pairs and have yet to find one that I like
the fit of. What about some nice sterling bike jewelry?

A nice touch might be a jersey with some coordinating socks.
http://www.specialtyoutdoors.com/images/jersey3.jpg I now even have a
helmet to match, look out!!

Penny

Kathleen
November 16th 03, 09:16 PM
Sorni wrote:
> "Kathleen" > wrote in message
>
>>>http://gallery.consumerreview.com/webcrossing/images/sshoney.jpg
>>
>>What the hell are those things in front of her knees?
>

> Whipped cream bows.

No, I think she's blown out her knees. That's whipped sinovial fluid
leaking out.

Kathleen

MPD Blue
November 16th 03, 09:38 PM
Kathleen wrote:
> No, I think she's blown out her knees.

<butthead>
huh....huh...., huh..huh...huh
she said : "Blown"....."Knees"
huh....huh...., huh..huh...huh
</butthead>

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

John Harlow
November 17th 03, 12:32 AM
> I own three of Terry's skorts. Mostly I use them for running flyball
> with my dogs, riding my recumbent bike and general around-town wear.

What do you wear when you go clubbin'?

Stephen Baker
November 17th 03, 01:58 AM
John Harlow asks:

>What do you wear when you go clubbin'?

The Blue Dress.....

Kathleen
November 17th 03, 02:00 AM
John Harlow wrote:
>>I own three of Terry's skorts. Mostly I use them for running flyball
>>with my dogs, riding my recumbent bike and general around-town wear.
>

> What do you wear when you go clubbin'?

Carhartts and stiletto-heeled mukluks, what else?

Kathleen

Stephen Baker
November 17th 03, 02:06 AM
Kathleen says:

>> What do you wear when you go clubbin'?
>>

>Carhartts and stiletto-heeled mukluks, what else?

ROFLMAO!!

Sorni
November 17th 03, 02:44 AM
"Kathleen" > wrote in message
> John Harlow wrote:
> >>I own three of Terry's skorts. Mostly I use them for running flyball
> >>with my dogs, riding my recumbent bike and general around-town wear.
> >

> > What do you wear when you go clubbin'?
> >

> Carhartts and stiletto-heeled mukluks, what else?

Whipped cream sinovial knee bows?

Bill "seldom used phrases" S.

John Harlow
November 17th 03, 05:40 AM
> Its getting to that time of year again.
>
> I'm looking to get the gf some gear.

Nothing says "I love you" more than a picture of yourself...

http://www.bikeman.com/miva/merchant.mv?&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MA4550&Category_Code=GIFMISC

....and of course you will want to leave the stock photo.

Dave Haley
November 17th 03, 12:15 PM
"MPD Blue" > wrote in message

> Kathleen wrote:
> > No, I think she's blown out her knees.
>
> <butthead>
> huh....huh...., huh..huh...huh
> she said : "Blown"....."Knees"
> huh....huh...., huh..huh...huh
> </butthead>
>
> --
> John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
> http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

Uuuuhhh, shut up Beavis. You'll never score.

Maybe she's from Vegas. Yeah, yeah.

Dave Haley
www.geocities.com/bikegeek66

Dave W
November 17th 03, 01:29 PM
"John Harlow" > had this to say

>> Its getting to that time of year again.
>>
>> I'm looking to get the gf some gear.
>
> Nothing says "I love you" more than a picture of yourself...
>
> http://www.bikeman.com/miva/merchant.mv?&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MA455
> 0&Category_Code=GIFMISC
>
> ...and of course you will want to leave the stock photo.

I wonder where they got the pic of Rimmer. :)

John Atkinson
November 17th 03, 01:32 PM
"John Harlow" > wrote in message
> > I own three of Terry's skorts. Mostly I use them for running flyball
> > with my dogs, riding my recumbent bike and general around-town wear.
>
> What do you wear when you go clubbin'?

anything easily machine washable - baby seals do make such a mess...

Gwood
November 17th 03, 07:34 PM
Sheesh. When the weather changes around here we go from geeky to geekier
with long johns under shorts, etc. Who wants stylin' stuff on when it gets
ripped and dirty every ride ?

If ya gotta, then get her to revert to fitted lycra shorts and a snug top.
If she still beleives she looks like a guy then, maybe you'd best research
other recreational passtimes (or compliment her more)?

MTB biking in a skirt? Lemme guess, these things are from CA, right ?

"Destroy" > wrote in message
> Its getting to that time of year again.
>
> I'm looking to get the gf some gear. She always complains that women
> bikers tend to look like guys when they don the usual jerseys, helmet
> and shorts.
>
> Any mtn bike clothes out there that makes a definite female statement
> when worn? ...besides a G string bikini...heh.
>
> I did see a pic of some women in a mini skirt with short legged riding
> shorts underneath and that was kind of cool.
>
> Also I remember some mag showing a woman racer with lace sleeves on a
> jersey.
>
> Anyone know where I can buy some stuff like this for the gf?
>
> thanks

Penny S
November 17th 03, 07:48 PM
Gwood's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
> Sheesh. When the weather changes around here we go from geeky to
> geekier with long johns under shorts, etc. Who wants stylin' stuff
> on when it gets ripped and dirty every ride ?
>
> If ya gotta, then get her to revert to fitted lycra shorts and a snug
> top. If she still beleives she looks like a guy then, maybe you'd
> best research other recreational passtimes (or compliment her more)?
>
> MTB biking in a skirt? Lemme guess, these things are from CA, right ?

a SKORT, not a skirt. Think skirt + shorts. Usually a wrap style skirt with
bike shorts underneath. looks like:
http://www.teamestrogen.com/categories.asp?catID=54

hmm, very cute and girlly!

penny

Gwood
November 18th 03, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I get the idea. I guess I'm old school (or maybe just old?), where
certain athletic passtimes are non gender-specific. Don't get me wrong, I'm
not claiming that mountain biking should be a testosterone affair. My very
cute and feminine wife bikes with me and often kicks my butt.

However, the idea of dressing to be cute while doing a highly active, dirty,
dusty, muddy and sweaty sport seems kinda silly. Sounds more suited to
biking to the community tennis courts. OK, sorry, that was out of line ;-)

Gary

"Penny S" > wrote in message
> a SKORT, not a skirt. Think skirt + shorts. Usually a wrap style skirt
with
> bike shorts underneath. looks like:
> http://www.teamestrogen.com/categories.asp?catID=54
>
> hmm, very cute and girlly!
>
> penny

Penny S
November 18th 03, 05:51 PM
Gwood's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
> Yeah, I get the idea. I guess I'm old school (or maybe just old?),
> where certain athletic passtimes are non gender-specific. Don't get
> me wrong, I'm not claiming that mountain biking should be a
> testosterone affair. My very cute and feminine wife bikes with me
> and often kicks my butt.
>
> However, the idea of dressing to be cute while doing a highly active,
> dirty, dusty, muddy and sweaty sport seems kinda silly. Sounds more
> suited to biking to the community tennis courts. OK, sorry, that was
> out of line ;-)

I only do it to be annoying. ;-)

penny

Monique Y. Herman
November 18th 03, 07:03 PM
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 at 17:33 GMT, Gwood penned:
> However, the idea of dressing to be cute while doing a highly active,
> dirty, dusty, muddy and sweaty sport seems kinda silly. Sounds more
> suited to biking to the community tennis courts. OK, sorry, that was
> out of line ;-)
>
> Gary

Some of us consider getting dirty, dusty, muddy and sweaty in pursuit of
a sport to be "dressing to be cute" =P

I wonder if the girly variations on sports equipment aren't a
tongue-in-cheek way for some women to flip the bird to the people who
told them that being athletic, competitive, and tough was unfeminine.
Penny's followup post may serve to support that theory.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.

Penny S
November 19th 03, 01:15 AM
Monique Y. Herman's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 at 17:33 GMT, Gwood penned:
>> However, the idea of dressing to be cute while doing a highly active,
>> dirty, dusty, muddy and sweaty sport seems kinda silly. Sounds more
>> suited to biking to the community tennis courts. OK, sorry, that was
>> out of line ;-)
>>
>> Gary
>
> Some of us consider getting dirty, dusty, muddy and sweaty in pursuit
> of a sport to be "dressing to be cute" =P
>
> I wonder if the girly variations on sports equipment aren't a
> tongue-in-cheek way for some women to flip the bird to the people who
> told them that being athletic, competitive, and tough was unfeminine.
> Penny's followup post may serve to support that theory.

dunno... I just saw a really cute Dakine pack with blue flowers on it that
match the socks that match the jersey and shorts that match the helmet that
someone gave me because it matches and it all matches the bike....

;-)

Fashion show at AMB-ID of course...

penny

Monique Y. Herman
November 19th 03, 02:05 AM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 01:15 GMT, Penny S penned:

> dunno... I just saw a really cute Dakine pack with blue flowers on it
> that match the socks that match the jersey and shorts that match the
> helmet that someone gave me because it matches and it all matches the
> bike....
>
> ;-)
>
> Fashion show at AMB-ID of course...

Eep! Do all your ensembles match so well, or just the one?

My mom informed me that the latest trend in home decoration is that
everything doesn't have to match -- if you like it, you can display it.
Or something. Now if only they (whoever "they" might be) would start
applying that theory to clothing, I'd finally be fashionable!

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Penny S
November 19th 03, 02:22 AM
Monique Y. Herman's cat walked across a keyboard and came up with this:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 01:15 GMT, Penny S penned:
>>
>> dunno... I just saw a really cute Dakine pack with blue flowers on it
>> that match the socks that match the jersey and shorts that match the
>> helmet that someone gave me because it matches and it all matches the
>> bike....
>>
>> ;-)
>>
>> Fashion show at AMB-ID of course...
>>

> Eep! Do all your ensembles match so well, or just the one?

oh just one, the rest of my stuff is fairly "of no consequence". Like I
said before, I just do it because I can.

p.

MPD Blue
November 19th 03, 11:28 AM
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> everything doesn't have to match -- if you like it, you can display it.
> Or something. Now if only they (whoever "they" might be) would start
> applying that theory to clothing, I'd finally be fashionable!

That is the way I've always dressed anyway.
(except when in uniform ;-)

--
John G. in Memphis, TN Have a nice......... night.
http://www.shavings.net/images/Memphis/reflect_john.jpg

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home