PDA

View Full Version : Nimbus 24"

uni78
May 24th 04, 10:19 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried the new Nimbus 24" mountain unicycle
because I am thinking about buying it.

--
uni78 - uni-away
uni78's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6000

iamthewaltrus
May 25th 04, 04:24 AM
I'd also like an opinion on the Nimbuses if anyone has any.

--
iamthewaltrus - The Dynamic
iamthewaltrus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6274

elmer
May 25th 04, 05:59 AM
If you're poor and just starting out in the MUni world, they are a great
option.

They are perhaps the best bargain in the unicycle world right now.

But they aren't perfect.

The cranks will bend as soon as you start doing any real drops, unless
you're a flyweight rider. Kooka cranks will allow you to do quite a lot
more, but are sold out at the moment, and are expensive.

You might buy the Nimbus now, develop your skills avoiding the big
drops, and start saving immediately for a KH hub and crank set, which
you can have laced in later.

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"At 40 life begins...to show."
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

duaner
May 25th 04, 10:53 AM
elmer wrote:
> *If you're poor and just starting out in the MUni world, they are a
> great option.
>
> They are perhaps the best bargain in the unicycle world right now.
>
> But they aren't perfect.
>
> The cranks will bend as soon as you start doing any real drops, unless
> you're a flyweight rider. Kooka cranks will allow you to do quite a
> lot more, but are sold out at the moment, and are expensive.
>
> You might buy the Nimbus now, develop your skills avoiding the big
> drops, and start saving immediately for a KH hub and crank set, which
> you can have laced in later. *

I concur. Elmer's idea of starting with a Nimbus and later upgrading it
with a KH hub/crank set looks like a decent option. You can buy the
Nimbus for $189 and (later when you start bending your cranks) buy a KH
wheelset for $259, totaling $448 (a KH24 is $449).
The advantages to doing it this way: lower entry price; for nearly the
same final price you end up with nearly the same unicycle (exactly the
same wheelset); you end up with two tires, tubes and rims (or you could
likely save $ by buying only the hub & crank set (and spokes? - I'm not
sure if the spokes are the same size or not)).

The main disadvantages: the Nimbus frame does not have brake mounts; the
Nimbus frame has narrower tire clearance (lessoning the amount of mud
you can ride through); you may have some down time with bent cranks;
there may be a months long wait for a KH24 wheelset (at this time the KH
wheelset is not available and has been unavailable for at least a few
months! - parts availability may or may not improve in the future).

--
duaner - -

duaner.
duaner's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4297

joona
May 25th 04, 12:33 PM
I've done some 3' drops with my Nimbus and it's still fine. But I'm only
around 146 lbs. now. But it depends a lot on how you land the drops and
jumps.

--
joona - )-O <--Neat

'You are my friend...'
(http://www.the.search.button.youaremyfriend.com/)

They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It's a matter of taste.
They say beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes way down to the bone.
-Tatsuya Ishida
joona's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4436

onewheeldave
May 25th 04, 01:41 PM
And, if you're not into big drops, the nimbus will last a long time.

Mines been going through around three years of regular on, and off road
riding; it's in great condition and the cranks are as straight as the
day I got it.

Drops, to me, look great, but I've no desire to get into them- the
furthest I drop is a high curb.

I guess, as you're a beginner, it's impossible to predict what you'll be
doing in terms of drops in a couple of years, but I think it's worth
knowing that, apart from the drops restriction, the Nimbus is a
fantastic machine and has some advantages compared to the splined unis
(much better range of crank lengths, cheaper accessories, ease of
maintainance).

--
onewheeldave - Semi Skilled Unicyclist

"He's also been known to indulge in a spot of flame juggling - but it's
the Muni that really fires him up."

onewheeldave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/874

onefiftyfour
May 25th 04, 01:44 PM
another disadvantage: i find my knees bang the crown of the nimbus
frame very easily when hopping. i think the crown of that frame is too
wide.

iamthewaltrus: would you like to see and try a nimbus uni? PM me.

-Eric
(Austin)

--
onefiftyfour - Eric