PDA

View Full Version : RR: Hall Ranch

Anthony Sloan
November 19th 03, 04:12 AM
A few pics from today's ride.

Notable in that I actually rode with some folks for a change. All of
the little ride nuances were there:

"You go first" "No YOU go on"
Smak talk. While riding.
Someone to talk to while fixing a flat.

http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr01.jpg

http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hro2.jpg

http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr03.jpg

http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr04.jpg

And GOSH it was a nice day here in the Front Range.

Monique Y. Herman
November 19th 03, 04:28 AM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 04:12 GMT, Anthony Sloan penned:

> And GOSH it was a nice day here in the Front Range.

I couldn't tell from inside my cube farm =/

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.

SkaredShtles
November 19th 03, 04:32 AM
Anthony Sloan > wrote in news:vrlrg0oetl5g33
@corp.supernews.com:

> A few pics from today's ride.
>
> Notable in that I actually rode with some folks for a change. All of
> the little ride nuances were there:
>
> "You go first" "No YOU go on"
> Smak talk. While riding.
> Someone to talk to while fixing a flat.
>

> http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr01.jpg
>
> http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hro2.jpg
>
> http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr03.jpg
>
> http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr04.jpg

Those are some seriously cool snow plumes coming off of Longs......

-S.S.-

GeeDubb
November 19th 03, 03:14 PM
Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 04:12 GMT, Anthony Sloan penned:
>>
>> And GOSH it was a nice day here in the Front Range.
>>

> I couldn't tell from inside my cube farm =/

That's exactly why I'm not an engineer any more. Long live the outdoors.

Gary

Monique Y. Herman
November 20th 03, 12:26 AM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 15:14 GMT, GeeDubb penned:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 at 04:12 GMT, Anthony Sloan penned:
>>>
>>> And GOSH it was a nice day here in the Front Range.
>>>

>> I couldn't tell from inside my cube farm =/
>
> That's exactly why I'm not an engineer any more. Long live the
> outdoors.

Indeed. I need the engineering payola to balance out my "juvenile
stupidity" loans, though. And to be honest, while every job has its
downsides, I do love fiddling with computers. And at my current job, I
even get to launch my code into space. How cool is that?

But I still hate cubes. Sure do miss the shared office I had at my old
job ...

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Stephen Baker
November 20th 03, 01:23 AM
Monique says:

>Indeed. I need the engineering payola to balance out my "juvenile
>stupidity" loans, though. And to be honest, while every job has its
>downsides, I do love fiddling with computers.

Why you puter jockeys call yourselves "engineers" is quite beyond me. Authors,
maybe....

;-)

Steve "hard engineering, baby!"

<Hi, Sorni...>

Bill Wheeler
November 20th 03, 02:50 AM
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 21:12:35 -0700, Anthony Sloan
> wrote:

>A few pics from today's ride.
>
>Notable in that I actually rode with some folks for a change. All of
>the little ride nuances were there:
>
>"You go first" "No YOU go on"
>Smak talk. While riding.
>Someone to talk to while fixing a flat.
>

>http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr01.jpg

Rivals some of JD's pics, very nice indeed!

>http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hro2.jpg
>
>http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr03.jpg
>
>http://www.anthonysloan.com/hall/hr04.jpg
>
>And GOSH it was a nice day here in the Front Range.

Peace,
Bill
....one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them
In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

Monique Y. Herman
November 20th 03, 03:01 AM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 01:23 GMT, Stephen Baker penned:
> Monique says:
>

>>Indeed. I need the engineering payola to balance out my "juvenile
>>stupidity" loans, though. And to be honest, while every job has its
>>downsides, I do love fiddling with computers.
>
> Why you puter jockeys call yourselves "engineers" is quite beyond me.
> Authors, maybe....
>
> ;-)
>
> Steve "hard engineering, baby!"
>
><Hi, Sorni...>

I agree with you fully, my current job title notwithstanding. In my own
brain, I'm a "software developer," or on really good days, maybe an
"aspiring software system architect." Actually, I never called myself
an engineer till I started this job, and it's only recently I've said it
without feeling a twinge of guilt ... the guilt is probably a good
indicator that "engineer" simply isn't appropriate.

I was taught software design principles in school. I was never taught
how to wire anything together, nor how to build anything in the physical
world. There wasn't even an engineering school at my college!

"Author" isn't bad. My brother likes to repeat a saying something to
the effect of, "I'm an artist, only instead of drawing lines with a pen,
I write lines of code."

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

MattB
November 20th 03, 04:37 AM
"Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 01:23 GMT, Stephen Baker penned:
> > Monique says:
> >

> >>Indeed. I need the engineering payola to balance out my "juvenile
> >>stupidity" loans, though. And to be honest, while every job has its
> >>downsides, I do love fiddling with computers.
> >
> > Why you puter jockeys call yourselves "engineers" is quite beyond me.
> > Authors, maybe....
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Steve "hard engineering, baby!"
> >
> ><Hi, Sorni...>
>
> I agree with you fully, my current job title notwithstanding. In my own
> brain, I'm a "software developer," or on really good days, maybe an
> "aspiring software system architect." Actually, I never called myself
> an engineer till I started this job, and it's only recently I've said it
> without feeling a twinge of guilt ... the guilt is probably a good
> indicator that "engineer" simply isn't appropriate.

My title is software developer too. More appropriate I think. It's not all
just cranking out code either.

> I was taught software design principles in school. I was never taught
> how to wire anything together, nor how to build anything in the physical
> world. There wasn't even an engineering school at my college!

I got an art degree in college.

> "Author" isn't bad. My brother likes to repeat a saying something to
> the effect of, "I'm an artist, only instead of drawing lines with a pen,
> I write lines of code."

Kind of my angle too, but I don't tell the suits. It freaks 'em out.

Matt (wishing I could ride or something. - been nice here too - and cold)

BB
November 20th 03, 04:50 AM
On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:26:57 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> And at my current job, I even get to launch my code into space. How
> cool is that?

Lets see...launches code into space...Bay Area (IIRC)...I bet we have a
few common friends (or acquaintences at least; they'd be network geeks
so you software geeks prolly don't want to call them friends :-).

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

Monique Y. Herman
November 20th 03, 05:03 AM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 04:37 GMT, MattB penned:

>> "Author" isn't bad. My brother likes to repeat a saying something to
>> the effect of, "I'm an artist, only instead of drawing lines with a
>> pen, I write lines of code."
>>

> Kind of my angle too, but I don't tell the suits. It freaks 'em out.

Well, it's the suits' job to make a creative process look like an
assembly process. Any reminders that the process of creation is,
*gasp*, creative freaks them out.

> Matt (wishing I could ride or something. - been nice here too - and
> cold)

You had something medical done recently, right? Forgive my faulty
memory.

I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in
the cold. My fiance wears lined tights over his padded shorts; he says
this has the benefit of allowing him to remove a layer if it gets too
hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such pants
could do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of
wearing cut-off sweatpants for skiing is ... non-ideal.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Monique Y. Herman
November 20th 03, 05:05 AM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 04:50 GMT, BB penned:
> On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:26:57 -0700, Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
>> And at my current job, I even get to launch my code into space. How
>> cool is that?
>
> Lets see...launches code into space...Bay Area (IIRC)...I bet we have
> a few common friends (or acquaintences at least; they'd be network
> geeks so you software geeks prolly don't want to call them friends
> :-).

Nope, not in the bay area. Not that I don't have network geek friends
in California; they're just all unemployed.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Kathleen
November 20th 03, 05:07 AM
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

<snip>
> I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in
> the cold. My fiance wears lined tights over his padded shorts; he says
> this has the benefit of allowing him to remove a layer if it gets too
> hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such pants
> could do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of
> wearing cut-off sweatpants for skiing is ... non-ideal.

Tights over shorts is the way I go, too. He's right. Not only can you
peel off a layer if it gets too warm, you also get to peel off most of
the dirt before you drive home.
Make sure they fit right through, especially through the seat, lest ye
suffer the dreaded crotch bungee.

Kathleen

Stephen Baker
November 20th 03, 12:03 PM
Monique says:

>My brother likes to repeat a saying something to
>the effect of, "I'm an artist, only instead of drawing lines with a pen,
>I write lines of code."

I like that one.. When someone asks me at a cocktail party what I do for a
living, I usually answer "I draw boats". What TF else do you call it? "I'm a
Yacht Designer" conjures up images of self-aggrandized farts at the Yacht Club
(I don't belong to one...) so _that_ doesn't hack it. But in reality, with a
bit of "real" engineering thown in, drawing boats is about what I do.

Steve
Stephen C. Baker - Yacht Designer
http://members.aol.com/SailDesign/private/scbweb/home.htm

Monique Y. Herman
November 20th 03, 02:39 PM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 05:07 GMT, Kathleen penned:
> Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>
><snip>
>> I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride
>> in the cold. My fiance wears lined tights over his padded shorts; he
>> says this has the benefit of allowing him to remove a layer if it
>> gets too hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand,
>> such pants could do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current
>> method of wearing cut-off sweatpants for skiing is ... non-ideal.
>>

> Tights over shorts is the way I go, too. He's right. Not only can
> you peel off a layer if it gets too warm, you also get to peel off
> most of the dirt before you drive home. Make sure they fit right
> through, especially through the seat, lest ye suffer the dreaded
> crotch bungee.

Crotch bungee?? That sounds bad!

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

JD
November 20th 03, 06:15 PM
(Stephen Baker) wrote in message >...
> When someone asks me at a cocktail party what I do for a
> living, I usually answer "I draw boats".<snip>

I have two answers and use one or the other. I tell cops where to go,
or I babysit 115,000 people.

JD

Mojo Deluxe
November 20th 03, 06:50 PM
"JD" > wrote in message
om...
> (Stephen Baker) wrote in message
> > When someone asks me at a cocktail party what I do for a
> > living, I usually answer "I draw boats".<snip>
>
> I have two answers and use one or the other. I tell cops where to go,
> or I babysit 115,000 people.

Thankfully, people are there to do those things. Don't know if I could do it
or not.

I've only had to make the call twice, so far. The first time was when me,
and a friend were the first to arrive at a pretty bad two car
accident....the other was a couple years ago, when I busted up a burglary in
progress, next door to me at my parents house. They hooked me up with the
Sheriff's department right away.

MattB
November 20th 03, 07:34 PM
"Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 04:37 GMT, MattB penned:
> >
> >> "Author" isn't bad. My brother likes to repeat a saying something to
> >> the effect of, "I'm an artist, only instead of drawing lines with a
> >> pen, I write lines of code."
> >>

> > Kind of my angle too, but I don't tell the suits. It freaks 'em out.
>
> Well, it's the suits' job to make a creative process look like an
> assembly process. Any reminders that the process of creation is,
> *gasp*, creative freaks them out.
>
> > Matt (wishing I could ride or something. - been nice here too - and
> > cold)
>
> You had something medical done recently, right? Forgive my faulty
> memory.

Shoulder surgery. It went pretty well. I'll post an update soon.

> I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride in
> the cold. My fiance wears lined tights over his padded shorts; he says
> this has the benefit of allowing him to remove a layer if it gets too
> hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand, such pants
> could do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current method of
> wearing cut-off sweatpants for skiing is ... non-ideal.

I have some tights like that and they are nice when it's really cold. I also
have some leggings - just legs that I can add to shorts. Those are great
when it's not that cold or to just have in the packin case it gets cold
while I'm out in shorts.

Matt

Mojo Deluxe
November 20th 03, 09:05 PM
"Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 05:07 GMT, Kathleen penned:
> > Monique Y. Herman wrote:
> >
> ><snip>
> >> I need to go get myself some long pant type things so that I can ride
> >> in the cold. My fiance wears lined tights over his padded shorts; he
> >> says this has the benefit of allowing him to remove a layer if it
> >> gets too hot. It seems kind of sketchy to me, but on the other hand,
> >> such pants could do double duty under my ski pants, too. My current
> >> method of wearing cut-off sweatpants for skiing is ... non-ideal.
> >>

> > Tights over shorts is the way I go, too. He's right. Not only can
> > you peel off a layer if it gets too warm, you also get to peel off
> > most of the dirt before you drive home. Make sure they fit right
> > through, especially through the seat, lest ye suffer the dreaded
> > crotch bungee.
> >

> Crotch bungee?? That sounds bad!

I think that's when the shorts snag the seat while weight shifting. Could be
wrong though.

Monique Y. Herman
November 20th 03, 09:12 PM
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 19:34 GMT, MattB penned:
> "Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
>>
>> You had something medical done recently, right? Forgive my faulty
>> memory.
>
> Shoulder surgery. It went pretty well. I'll post an update soon.

Ooh, does that include pictures??

Er, j/k.

> I have some tights like that and they are nice when it's really cold.
> I also have some leggings - just legs that I can add to shorts. Those
> are great when it's not that cold or to just have in the packin case
> it gets cold while I'm out in shorts.

Sounds like a good plan. I could spend infinite money on this sport,
couldn't I?

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Kathleen
November 21st 03, 12:26 AM
Mojo Deluxe wrote:

> "Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
>
>>On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 05:07 GMT, Kathleen penned:
>>
>>>Monique Y. Herman wrote:
>>>
>>><snip>

>>>Tights over shorts is the way I go, too. He's right. Not only can
>>>you peel off a layer if it gets too warm, you also get to peel off
>>>most of the dirt before you drive home. Make sure they fit right
>>>through, especially through the seat, lest ye suffer the dreaded
>>>crotch bungee.
>>>

>>Crotch bungee?? That sounds bad!
>>

> I think that's when the shorts snag the seat while weight shifting. Could be
> wrong though.

Yep, it's when the saggy crotch of baggy or ill-fitting shorts or tights
snag on the nose of your saddle when you really, really need to get
behind your seat. Led to one of only a handful of over-the-bars
incidents I've experienced.

Kathleen

Mojo Deluxe
November 21st 03, 12:51 AM
"Kathleen" > wrote in message
> Mojo Deluxe wrote:
>
> > "Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
> >
> >>On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 05:07 GMT, Kathleen penned:

> >>Crotch bungee?? That sounds bad!
> >>

> > I think that's when the shorts snag the seat while weight shifting.
Could be
> > wrong though.
> >

> Yep, it's when the saggy crotch of baggy or ill-fitting shorts or tights
> snag on the nose of your saddle when you really, really need to get
> behind your seat. Led to one of only a handful of over-the-bars
> incidents I've experienced.

Yep, seen pals of mine do the same thing, and vowed never to wear baggies.

Craig Brossman
November 21st 03, 02:07 AM
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 at 19:34 GMT, MattB penned:
>
>>"Monique Y. Herman" > wrote in message
>>
>>>You had something medical done recently, right? Forgive my faulty
>>>memory.
>>
>>Shoulder surgery. It went pretty well. I'll post an update soon.
>

> Ooh, does that include pictures??
>
> Er, j/k.
>

>>I have some tights like that and they are nice when it's really cold.
>>I also have some leggings - just legs that I can add to shorts. Those
>>are great when it's not that cold or to just have in the packin case
>>it gets cold while I'm out in shorts.
>>

> Sounds like a good plan. I could spend infinite money on this sport,
> couldn't I?

Monique,
The better half and I will be in the area (Greeley actually) for Turkey
day, and are considering bringing our bikes to ride on Friday. There is
another female friend we will probably get to come along and are
considering riding Hall. (That would make 3 Software "Authors" and my
wife, a Real Estate agent) We will have to see how the weather holds up,
but that is a very open area and any moisture would typically dry up
quickly. If you are interested, please email me. You don't have to ride
anything you are not comfortable with, Sue (our friend) and Cindy (my
wife) won't, I won't either, but my comfort level is different from their's.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Monique Y. Herman
November 21st 03, 02:58 AM
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 at 02:07 GMT, Craig Brossman penned:

> Monique, The better half and I will be in the area (Greeley actually)
> for Turkey day, and are considering bringing our bikes to ride on
> Friday. There is another female friend we will probably get to come
> along and are considering riding Hall. (That would make 3 Software
> "Authors" and my wife, a Real Estate agent) We will have to see how
> the weather holds up, but that is a very open area and any moisture
> would typically dry up quickly. If you are interested, please email
> me. You don't have to ride anything you are not comfortable with, Sue
> (our friend) and Cindy (my wife) won't, I won't either, but my comfort
> level is different from their's.

Lemme check my schedule =)

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Craig Brossman
November 21st 03, 05:56 PM
Monique Y. Herman wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 at 02:07 GMT, Craig Brossman penned:
>
>>Monique, The better half and I will be in the area (Greeley actually)
>>for Turkey day, and are considering bringing our bikes to ride on
>>Friday. There is another female friend we will probably get to come
>>along and are considering riding Hall. (That would make 3 Software
>>"Authors" and my wife, a Real Estate agent) We will have to see how
>>the weather holds up, but that is a very open area and any moisture
>>would typically dry up quickly. If you are interested, please email
>>me. You don't have to ride anything you are not comfortable with, Sue
>>(our friend) and Cindy (my wife) won't, I won't either, but my comfort
>>level is different from their's.
>>

> Lemme check my schedule =)

I don't have a good email addres to respond to your email.

--
Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado
(remove ".nospam" to reply)

Monique Y. Herman
November 21st 03, 06:03 PM
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 at 17:56 GMT, Craig Brossman penned:

> I don't have a good email addres to respond to your email.

Yes, you do. The email address I use here is a legit address.

--
monique
PLEASE don't CC me. Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.
Whatever it takes, just don't CC me! I'm already subscribed!!

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home