PDA

View Full Version : New Isis Post ride report

MTB Lover
November 26th 03, 08:41 PM
Well, I have had Ellsworth exactly one week. I have put about 75 miles
on it, including a nice 4 hour jaunt around Santos.
Keep in mind, this is my first full suss bike.
Initially I was worried about pedal bob, I was moving up and down
slightly when riding on level terrain, this I have gotten used to, to
the point I no longer notice it at all.
Handling, the bike carves twisty singletrack like nobody's business, I
though my hardtail was going to really shine here, alas I am pleasantly
surprised. I even found myself going completely, insanely too fast on
some sections with short (<3ft) up and downs and tight twisty banked
turns, and I was surprised to find myself feeling quite in control, it
will be interesting to find my new limits. On the Hardtail, when hitting
those short up and downs too fast, each progressive one sent you further
and further out of control until you endo'd or hit the brakes, this bike
soaks it up and screams to go faster.
Jumps, haven't hit it too hard yet, but the first little one I did, I
was quite surprised at the sensation when landing, VERY soft and cushy!
Steep drops, if they are smooth, it seems the same as my hardtail, if
they are bumpy, if feels a bit more controllable. On technical steep
downhills, I find myself not riding the brakes as much and just letting
the suspension soak up the hits, this is nice.
I thought that a brand new LX group would be better than a 3 year old
XTR group, I am wrong here, the old half worn out XTR stuff on my old
hardtail still shifts quicker, and quieter than the brand new LX stuff,
still quite functional, and hopefully durable.
I have gotten pretty comfortable on the full suss platform, and am now
wondering how I lived without it.
YMMV

--
Jerry

remove the nospam and the period to email me.

Bill Wheeler
December 1st 03, 02:29 AM
On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 20:41:57 GMT, MTB Lover >
wrote:

>Well, I have had Ellsworth exactly one week. I have put about 75 miles
>on it, including a nice 4 hour jaunt around Santos.

Nice.

>Keep in mind, this is my first full suss bike.
>Initially I was worried about pedal bob, I was moving up and down
>slightly when riding on level terrain, this I have gotten used to, to
>the point I no longer notice it at all.

Nice.

>Handling, the bike carves twisty singletrack like nobody's business, I
>though my hardtail was going to really shine here, alas I am pleasantly
>surprised. I even found myself going completely, insanely too fast on
>some sections with short (<3ft) up and downs and tight twisty banked
>turns, and I was surprised to find myself feeling quite in control, it
>will be interesting to find my new limits.

Nice.

>On the Hardtail, when hitting
>those short up and downs too fast, each progressive one sent you further
>and further out of control until you endo'd or hit the brakes,

...so the reason you went FS is because you don't have the skills to
master a hardtail? In my not so humble opinion it seems that the FS
is making up for a lack of skills.....of course I could be completely
wrong.

>this bike
>soaks it up and screams to go faster.
>Jumps, haven't hit it too hard yet, but the first little one I did, I
>was quite surprised at the sensation when landing, VERY soft and cushy!

Nice.

>Steep drops, if they are smooth, it seems the same as my hardtail, if
>they are bumpy, if feels a bit more controllable. On technical steep
>downhills, I find myself not riding the brakes as much and just letting
>the suspension soak up the hits, this is nice.

Yes, nice.

>I thought that a brand new LX group would be better than a 3 year old
>XTR group, I am wrong here, the old half worn out XTR stuff on my old
>hardtail still shifts quicker, and quieter than the brand new LX stuff,
>still quite functional, and hopefully durable.
>I have gotten pretty comfortable on the full suss platform, and am now
>wondering how I lived without it.

Soon you'll be wondering why you ever bought into the hype.

>YMMV

Enjoy yourself at all cost.

Peace,
Bill(didnt' even mention SS)Wheeler
....one speed to rule them all, one speed to find them,
one speed to bring them all and on the trails pass them
In the Land of Avalon where the geared pigs lie...

MTB Lover
December 1st 03, 03:31 AM
>>On the Hardtail, when hitting
>>those short up and downs too fast, each progressive one sent you further
>>and further out of control until you endo'd or hit the brakes,
>

> ..so the reason you went FS is because you don't have the skills to
> master a hardtail? In my not so humble opinion it seems that the FS
> is making up for a lack of skills.....of course I could be completely
> wrong.

Not exactly, I am just saying it seems as though I can go faster through
this
type of terrain on the full suss, lack of skills? maybe? better tool to
match my skills?
definatly.

>>I thought that a brand new LX group would be better than a 3 year old
>>XTR group, I am wrong here, the old half worn out XTR stuff on my old
>>hardtail still shifts quicker, and quieter than the brand new LX stuff,
>>still quite functional, and hopefully durable.
>>I have gotten pretty comfortable on the full suss platform, and am now
>>wondering how I lived without it.
>

> Soon you'll be wondering why you ever bought into the hype.
Which hype, full suss or Shimanos marketing strategy?

--
Jerry

remove the nospam and the period to email me.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home