PDA

View Full Version : Re: sell a bike?

A Lee
July 13th 03, 03:32 PM
Default > wrote:

> anyone know where I could do this? best place?

Depends on what bike/spec /price etc.
Ebay is good for selling, I got rid of a road bike there, that wouldnt
sell in Cycling Weekly.
If it is reasonable spec, then an ad here, or on any of the online ads
list would be worth a try (Singletrack.co.uk is quite good).
If it is a crap old MTB/crap old road bike, then local papers are about
the only place to sell.
Alan.
--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

July 13th 03, 04:30 PM
It's a decent spec MTB by Specialized. Turns out to be too big for me and am
injuring myself riding.

Are you sure this group would accept a bike ad?

Thanks for the extra info!

"A Lee" > wrote in message
m...
> Default > wrote:
>
> > anyone know where I could do this? best place?
>
> Depends on what bike/spec /price etc.
> Ebay is good for selling, I got rid of a road bike there, that wouldnt
> sell in Cycling Weekly.
> If it is reasonable spec, then an ad here, or on any of the online ads
> list would be worth a try (Singletrack.co.uk is quite good).
> If it is a crap old MTB/crap old road bike, then local papers are about
> the only place to sell.
> Alan.
> --
> Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
> http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

A Lee
July 13th 03, 04:38 PM

> It's a decent spec MTB by Specialized. Turns out to be too big for me and am
> injuring myself riding.

Put it on the 'for sale forum' on Singletrack.If it doesnt sell there,
then it will sell on ebay.

> Are you sure this group would accept a bike ad?

Occasional private ads are tolerated, put FS: in the subject, and dont
post the same thing more than once a week, and no-one will complain.
I've bought 2 bikes off here in the past, so they do get noticed.
Alan.
--
Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

July 13th 03, 05:00 PM
Cheers for that!

"A Lee" > wrote in message
m...
> Default > wrote:
>
> > It's a decent spec MTB by Specialized. Turns out to be too big for me
and am
> > injuring myself riding.
>
> Put it on the 'for sale forum' on Singletrack.If it doesnt sell there,
> then it will sell on ebay.
>
> > Are you sure this group would accept a bike ad?
>
> Occasional private ads are tolerated, put FS: in the subject, and dont
> post the same thing more than once a week, and no-one will complain.
> I've bought 2 bikes off here in the past, so they do get noticed.
> Alan.
> --
> Change the 'minus' to 'plus' to reply by e-mail.
> http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road Cycling in the North Midlands.

James Hodson
July 13th 03, 08:56 PM
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:30:48 GMT, "Default"
> wrote:

>It's a decent spec MTB by Specialized. Turns out to be too big for me and am
>injuring myself riding.

Hi Default :-/

Is the bike far too big for you or is it too large by just a little
bit. If the latter, would it be possible for you change a few parts;
the stem, for example.

James

July 13th 03, 10:24 PM
HI James,

The bike is a 23" which turns out to be big for me. I imagine if you're > 6'
tall then it should be fine for you. The shop I originally bought it from
didn't do a very good job of advising properly as to size, hence ended up
buying in all the excitement of the moment.
I'm not really into changing parts with those out of spec, but I'm sure if
you're in the know, modding is probably second nature.

A really good bike though.

Joe

"James Hodson" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:30:48 GMT, "Default"
> > wrote:
>
> >It's a decent spec MTB by Specialized. Turns out to be too big for me and
am
> >injuring myself riding.
> >

> Hi Default :-/
>
> Is the bike far too big for you or is it too large by just a little
> bit. If the latter, would it be possible for you change a few parts;
> the stem, for example.
>
> James
>
> --
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Dscf0632.jpg

Pete Biggs
July 14th 03, 03:49 AM
> anyone know where I could do this? best place?

* Here
* www.ebay.co.uk
* www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum
* Cycling Plus magazine free ad
* Cycling Weekly mag if good road bike (or MTB mags if good MTB)
* Ads in local paper and shop windows if cheap or old bike

~PB

James Hodson
July 15th 03, 06:58 PM
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 21:24:16 GMT, "Default"
> wrote:

>The bike is a 23" which turns out to be big for me. I imagine if you're > 6'
>tall then it should be fine for you. The shop I originally bought it from
>didn't do a very good job of advising properly as to size, hence ended up
>buying in all the excitement of the moment.
>I'm not really into changing parts with those out of spec, but I'm sure if
>you're in the know, modding is probably second nature.
>
>A really good bike though.

Hi Joe

I'm certainly not "in the know" and please don't you ever again try to
imply that I am! :-)

FWIW, I'm 6'00" and my road bike is <grabs tape measure> around ... I
really have no idea. How does one measure a bike's size these days?

Road bike: BB to bottom of seat pin = about 25"
MTB bike: BB to bottom of seat pin = about 19.5" (this is the correct
size according to Trek - I bought a 19.5" bike)

The above simply says that bikes' sizes can no longer be compared. I
cannot find the documentation for my road bike but I'm reasonably sure
that it was sized at 55cms - approx 21.5 inches.

It's been said before: "Size isn't everything."

James

David Brown :o\)
July 17th 03, 12:46 PM
"James Hodson" > wrote in message
> Road bike: BB to bottom of seat pin = about 25"
> MTB bike: BB to bottom of seat pin = about 19.5" (this is the correct
> size according to Trek - I bought a 19.5" bike)

With a MTB the seat tube length really has no relevance as the top tubes all
slope at different angles. It's the top tube and head tube lengths that
matter.

--
David Brown :o)
http://kitemap.co.uk/stack/