PDA

View Full Version : Re: Car Door of the Day

Ambrose Nankivell
July 14th 03, 04:52 PM
In ,
Geraint Jones > typed:
> "Adrian Boliston" > wrote:
> ( If cycling anywhere apart from the road itself (and this
> ) includes kerbside cycle
> ( lanes, which I would not *really* class as part of the
> ) road and never use them
> ( myself on principle except in gridlocked streets) then
> ) expect at all times to have
> ( to stop and give way, even if you technically have right of way.
>
> If cycling anywhere, and this includes the road itself,
> expect at all times to have to stop and give way.

Particularly, you should expect to give way to a person who's just waved you
passed, especially when they've magnanamously done it when it was already
your right of way.

Not me, someone else
July 15th 03, 12:31 PM
Geraint Jones deftly scribbled:

> "Not me, someone else" > wrote:
> ( > ....managed to come to a
> ) > stop before I hit her,
> (
> ) So nothing really happened then ..
>
> What a sad world it must be which you inhabit, in which everything
> that is not a collision with a pedestrian is nothing.

Who mentioned a pedestrian ?

You didn't hit either a car, a car door, or a pedestrian, you stopped, so
what *really* happened ?

Nothing.

It's like saying 'I stopped at traffic lights'. Nothing untoward happened,
you stopped, er, that's it.

"Now I know I was being unreasonable, but." says it all really .. You took
exception to someone opening a car door, possibly in your way, but not so
stupidly that you couldn't stop, or couldn't anticipate it and move out
early to avoid such a heart-stopping manouvre as stopping.

Jeez, you also say you were already slowing so you were hardly
inconvenienced. It seems to me that you have a *very* short temper.

--
Digweed

Not me, someone else
July 15th 03, 02:35 PM
Geraint Jones deftly scribbled:

> "Not me, someone else" > wrote:
> ( Who mentioned a pedestrian ?
>
> I did. She walked half way around the car. You stopped quoting my
> message at that point and I assumed you were commenting on the bit
> of the message you were quoting. Silly of me, really.

And I thought the potential for a collision with the oaf leaving the car
door ajar wasn't your real problem, but the fact that she appears to have
made you stop was ..

> ( "Now I know I was being unreasonable, but." says it all really ..
> You took ) exception to someone opening a car door, possibly in your
> way, but not so ( stupidly that you couldn't stop, or couldn't
> anticipate it and move out ) early to avoid such a heart-stopping
> manouvre as stopping.
>
> No, I resented her leaving the car door wide open across the full
> width of the lane of the road which I was attempting to pass along.
> I realise that English is not my first language, which you may have
> no reason to know, and that I mistakenly used the word "ajar" which
> turns out to mean something different from what I thought it meant.

OK, maybe that's where I went wrong and thought you meant she'd just left
the door a little open .. I apologise. Had I known Ithat English wasn't
your first language I'd have not been quite so 'picky' .. ;)

> Sorry about that. (Why does English have to have such a bloody big
> vocabulary? Note that if you intend perversely to misinterpret
> something that was intended as a rhetorical question, I do already
> know why it does have such a bloody big vocabulary but not why it
> has to.)
>
> ( Jeez, you also say you were already slowing so you were hardly
> ) inconvenienced. It seems to me that you have a *very* short
> temper.
>
> I don't recall losing my temper, but then perhaps one doesn't.
> You seem to post as though you're permanently disgruntled, though.

LOL, fair comment maybe. I rarely start threads I think, but often feel
inclined to comment on them .. ;)

It seems I've been a tad hasty in my post back to you, for which I *do*
apologise, misunderstandings were made. .

--
Digweed

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home