PDA

View Full Version : Presta valves sticking

Panasonic
July 14th 03, 07:51 PM
I have had the same tyres and tubes on one of my bikes since 1999 .. .it
does not get used very much.

This year the presta valves are both sticking so it is almost impossible to
force air into them. I suppose it is just age ... but would a spray of GT85
or similar be in order?

I am cautious about messing up the tubes completely.

TIA

MSA
July 14th 03, 09:09 PM
"Panasonic" > wrote in message
> I have had the same tyres and tubes on one of my bikes since 1999 .. .it
> does not get used very much.
>
> This year the presta valves are both sticking so it is almost impossible
> force air into them. I suppose it is just age ... but would a spray of
GT85
> or similar be in order?
>
> I am cautious about messing up the tubes completely.
>
> TIA

If it's causing you a problem I wouldn't see £3 each for a tube a worry over
4 years personally! Is it worth being too cautious here :-)

--
Mark

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak"

Pete Biggs
July 14th 03, 11:23 PM
Panasonic wrote:
> I have had the same tyres and tubes on one of my bikes since 1999 ..
> .it does not get used very much.
>
> This year the presta valves are both sticking so it is almost
> impossible to force air into them.

Always give presta valves a quick tap (release some air) before each
pumping. This unsticks them.

> I suppose it is just age

Even new ones can stick.

> ... but
> would a spray of GT85 or similar be in order?

A little bit of that probably wouldn't do any harm as a one off if really
needed, but generally, inner tunes and those sort of products don't go
well together.

~PB

Adrian Boliston
July 14th 03, 11:53 PM
"Michael Pearlman" > wrote in message
m...

> Let some of the air out, then pump them again. That always works for me.

I will second that gem of advice!

Arthur Spurr
July 15th 03, 12:53 AM
With many of the replies I give I get Mail Delivery Failed messages. It's a
bit gauling to go to the effort of replying to peoples queeries and then to
be told automatically that your efforts are spam!!!

Sorry if I've got this wrong but I do think that if you ask a question then
the courtesy of recieving replies would help matters along!!

AS

"Panasonic" > wrote in message
> I have had the same tyres and tubes on one of my bikes since 1999 .. .it
> does not get used very much.
>
> This year the presta valves are both sticking so it is almost impossible
> force air into them. I suppose it is just age ... but would a spray of
GT85
> or similar be in order?
>
> I am cautious about messing up the tubes completely.
>
> TIA

Michael Kent
July 15th 03, 01:42 AM
Arthur Spurr wrote:
> With many of the replies I give I get Mail Delivery Failed messages.
> It's a bit gauling to go to the effort of replying to peoples
> queeries and then to be told automatically that your efforts are
> spam!!!
>
> Sorry if I've got this wrong but I do think that if you ask a
> question then the courtesy of recieving replies would help matters
> along!!
>
> AS

My advice would be to reply to the group if you wish to say thanks.
I dont see anyone here changing from the current way they do things as
usenet spam is awful

Cheers
Michael

--
Michael Kent
UKRM official worst post of the week award W/C Monday 7th July 2003

chris French
July 15th 03, 09:26 AM
In message >, Arthur Spurr
> writes
>With many of the replies I give I get Mail Delivery Failed messages. It's a
>bit gauling to go to the effort of replying to peoples queeries and then to
>be told automatically that your efforts are spam!!!
>
>Sorry if I've got this wrong but I do think that if you ask a question then
>the courtesy of recieving replies would help matters along!!

Reply to the group, not the individual by email.

1. we all get to read the reply (for most queries I would guess more
then the OP are interested)

2. the replies are subjected to 'peer review' by the group.

3. you won't get bothered by bounces' :-)

Though I do use a valid email address, I don't except email replies in
general to anything I post to newsgroups.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home