PDA

View Full Version : Re: technical query - wheel

Pete Biggs
July 14th 03, 11:48 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:

Need to ask Vernon a question, or perhaps you know Helen......

> As a reward to 14 year old son of breaking the 30 minute time for a
> 10 in his first year of racing I bought him a pair of Campag
> Sciroccos via mail order 4 weeks ago. He thinks they are cooool!.
> However after a he lost the rear wheel on a tight left hand junction
> - he stayed upright - I checked his bike over and found that there
> was a lot of sideways movement at the rim on the rear wheel. I
> checked out the bearings but I understand that the bearings are non
> adjustable.

Does this movement FEEL like loose bearings (ie. free play - clunks back
and forth with very little finger pressure just like loose cones produce
with conventional bearings) or is it just flex at the rim when pushed
quite hard? The latter might be normal, depending on how hard you're
pushing it. The former is not right with ANY wheels if play is anywhere
near 4mm.

I'll look-up the wheels wheels on the Campag site to see what kind of
bearings they have. Might be back with another reply later.........

~PB

AndyMorris
July 15th 03, 01:09 AM
Pete Biggs wrote:
> wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
>
> Need to ask Vernon a question, or perhaps you know Helen......
>
>> As a reward to 14 year old son of breaking the 30 minute time for a
>> 10 in his first year of racing I bought him a pair of Campag
>> Sciroccos via mail order 4 weeks ago. He thinks they are cooool!.
>> However after a he lost the rear wheel on a tight left hand junction
>> - he stayed upright - I checked his bike over and found that there
>> was a lot of sideways movement at the rim on the rear wheel. I
>> checked out the bearings but I understand that the bearings are non
>> adjustable.
>
> Does this movement FEEL like loose bearings (ie. free play - clunks
> back and forth with very little finger pressure just like loose cones
> produce with conventional bearings) or is it just flex at the rim
> when pushed quite hard? The latter might be normal, depending on how
> hard you're pushing it. The former is not right with ANY wheels if
> play is anywhere near 4mm.

Or is the wheel rigid but out of true?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Arthur Clune
July 15th 03, 10:10 AM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX > wrote:
: found that there was a lot of sideways movement at the rim on the rear wheel. I
: checked out the bearings but I understand that the bearings are non adjustable.

This is wrong. All Campag wheels let you adjust the side-to-side play. On
the modern wheels it's a very different system to the old cup-and-cone
type but (IMO) much nicer to adjust.

Take it to a competent bike shop and get it fixed.

Arthur

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 15th 03, 10:36 AM
>Does this movement FEEL like loose bearings (ie. free play - clunks back
>and forth with very little finger pressure just like loose cones produce
>with conventional bearings) or is it just flex at the rim when pushed
>quite hard?

No - not loose bearings but Vernon says it's more of a deflection at the rim.
Whether it's when it's pushed quite hard - If Vernon putrs his thumbs on the
rim near the break bridge and pushes, the rim will deflect this 4mm or so. Now,
he says he doesn't have to push hard for this to happen.

He's had the wheel out and put it on the truing jig, thinggie, and the wheel
doesn't seem to be out of true as such - nor does it appear to be suffering
dishing (?).

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Pete Biggs
July 15th 03, 01:41 PM
Arthur Clune wrote:
> This is wrong. All Campag wheels let you adjust the side-to-side
> play. On
> the modern wheels it's a very different system to the old cup-and-cone
> type but (IMO) much nicer to adjust.

I think you must be forgetting about Campag's cartridge bearing hubs -
nothing to adjust on those. The wheel in question has these (according to
Vernon & Campag's manuals). Anyway, it seems like the problem is not the
bearings.

~PB

Pete Biggs
July 15th 03, 01:55 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
> Whether it's when it's pushed quite hard - If Vernon putrs
> his thumbs on the rim near the break bridge and pushes, the rim will
> deflect this 4mm or so. Now, he says he doesn't have to push hard for
> this to happen.

.....Thinking more about what *I* mean by hard, I only meant hard compared
to testing bearings. Not a great deal of pressure is required to deflect
an average conventional race wheel to 4 or 5mm with a finger and thumb.

~PB

David E. Belcher
July 15th 03, 11:57 PM
"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message >...

> I think you must be forgetting about Campag's cartridge bearing hubs -
> nothing to adjust on those. The wheel in question has these (according to
> Vernon & Campag's manuals). Anyway, it seems like the problem is not the
> bearings.

Based on my experiences of Sachs New Success and Hope cartridge hub
bearings, they're pretty much spot-on "from the box", so I'd agree.

David E. Belcher

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home