PDA

View Full Version : technical query: Shimano discs

martin
July 15th 03, 08:38 AM
Are the levers for 555 hydro discs reversible?. Saw a good offer on a
front disc as the lever was LHS continental (and me) style. Will the
rear one also have to go on the left or can it be turned upside down
without looking daft? any help please.

martin
July 16th 03, 08:33 AM
"Eatmorepies" > wrote in message >...
> "martin" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Are the levers for 555 hydro discs reversible?. Saw a good offer on a
> > front disc as the lever was LHS continental (and me) style. Will the
> > rear one also have to go on the left or can it be turned upside down
> > without looking daft? any help please.
>
> Surely the levers can go either side. You may need to change the length of
> the pipe though.

Thanks
That's what's strange, why are they selling a front set cheap coz of
the LHS lever? unless the pipe is now too short to go to the rhs of
the bars from the caliper; it's as if they are non reversible. I think
pipe length is easy to change on that model as they are touted as
_cuttable_. I have emailed the shop with my concerns so hopefully they
won't send me a duff pair.

martin
July 16th 03, 12:35 PM
"Eatmorepies" > wrote in message >...
> "martin" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Are the levers for 555 hydro discs reversible?. Saw a good offer on a
> > front disc as the lever was LHS continental (and me) style. Will the
> > rear one also have to go on the left or can it be turned upside down
> > without looking daft? any help please.
>
> Surely the levers can go either side. You may need to change the length of
> the pipe though.

they've just said that they are one sided. Still going to order the
front one (£49) and see if can pick up a rear one with a rhs lever
(or buy a longer hose)
or go to France where they would be reversed. What is it with us
Brits: wrong side of the road/handlebars/gear change on motorbikes etc
etc?

Ambrose Nankivell
July 16th 03, 02:37 PM
In om,
martin > typed:
> "Eatmorepies" > wrote in message
>> "martin" > wrote in message
>> om...
>>> Are the levers for 555 hydro discs reversible?. Saw a good offer on
>>> front disc as the lever was LHS continental (and me) style. Will the
>>> rear one also have to go on the left or can it be turned upside down
>>> without looking daft? any help please.
>>
>> Surely the levers can go either side. You may need to change the
>> length of
>> the pipe though.
>
> they've just said that they are one sided. Still going to order the
> front one (£49) and see if can pick up a rear one with a rhs lever
> (or buy a longer hose)
> or go to France where they would be reversed. What is it with us
> Brits: wrong side of the road/handlebars/gear change on motorbikes etc
> etc?

We're not as outnumbered as you might think. We've got India, Pakistan,
Bangladesh, Japan and plenty of countries less populous that ourselves for
company.

However, it does seem to be popular wisdom that you keep to the right on
off-road paths, much to my annoyance. I normally get round it by going
further to the left than the oncoming person is to the right, which isn't
normally a problem thanks to my |\/|/-\|) 1337 bike handling skillz. That is
to say, the person going to the right may be a little less experienced than
myself, and won't go so near the edge of the path, rather preferring to pass
me by going to their left. Of course, you need some distance between the
bikes to let this happen without being intimidating.

martin
July 18th 03, 10:56 AM
"Rupert Smith" > wrote in message >...
> if these are anything like my shimano 525 hydro disk brakes then the
> reservior for the brake fluid needs to be on top of the lever and turning
> upside down probably wouldn't work unless the reservoir was very full. Would
> also make it more difficult to service/bleed the system.

Absolutely right: moral is look before you click. It would look
completely stoopid in the right, so have returned it. Will now have a
continent wide hunt for a rhs rear set. And also you can't just get a
front one and put a longer hose on; the calliper mountings are not the
same; the rear one is longer.
In the blurb I noticed you can get adpators so you can clip the pipe
to the cable guides on the frame; anyone know who stcoks these?

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home