PDA

View Full Version : Re: Today's ******

Colin Blackburn
July 15th 03, 10:06 AM
In article >,
says...

> Coming around blind corner, in primary riding position
> for obvious reasons. Arsehole overtakes anyway against
> oncoming traffic and forces me to swerve (he came within
> a few inches and was still moving leftwards). He'd actually
> started swerving into me when his front wing was level
> with me.

This happens to be regularly on one bend in Durham. It never ceases to
amaze me that some drivers are prepared to consider driving head-on into
an oncoming car, their only escape route being to knock off a cyclist.

My "Today's ******" was the guy who sort of overtook me on a roundabout.
It's a smallish (but not mini) roundabout. My approach road in one lane
widening to two at the mouth. I want to right and so get over to the
right behind the car, behind the bus, both turning right. As I see a car
come to a halt behind me I signal right just to let him know in case he
is going left. As the bus goes I move forward, the car behind me then
moves to the left alongside me. The car in front goes, I wait for the
next gap and go. As I do the car alongside suddenly signals right and
sets off at the same time as me. I am now hemmed in between the car and
the roundabout wondering exactly what the guy is doing. As we go around
together he decides to speed up and take the same exit we came on at.
This was lucky for me as it meant I could get off at my exit but I was
considering going around twice just to stay safe.

Colin

Taywood
July 16th 03, 05:51 PM
Mine 's the old codger on a country lane riding a cheap mountain
bike with a large plastic open box on his rear carrier and with
one bar end on top of another on each side of his bar.
I saw him rounding the corner ahead in a sitting up stance.

I was riding into the sun and as slowly I approached the entrance
to a microlight airfield a large tractor pulled out without slowing.

I stopped, half expecting it, the tractor turned right, in front of the
old codger but the OC couldnt stop as his hands were too far away
from his brakes in such an emergency.
The back of the tractor trailer stopped him.
Mike

Dave Larrington
July 17th 03, 10:54 AM
Here's a fun one. I am Proceeding northbound onto the very bottom of the
Leyton High Road, through, I might add, a /green/ traffic light, when
Captain ****ter decides that he *must* overtake immediately, if not sooner.
That there is insufficient space so to do makes no difference to Captain
****ter, who merely mounts his offside wheels upon the traffic island
housing the traffic lights.

Both the expensive low profile tyres on the offside of his motorcar burst,
with deeply satisfying noises. I larffed.

Someone else tried this up Forest Road in Walthamstow a couple of years
back - not to me. He struck the island an altogether more convincing blow,
demolishing both the "keep left" sign and a sturdy lamp post. *His*
motorcar ended up lying on its back, pleading to have its axles tickled. I
larffed again.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home