PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Shorts with *gel* padding question ??

Trevor George
July 15th 03, 12:08 PM
Hi fellow cyclists. I'm also a motorcyclist and I hear that the favorite
gear of touring motorcyclists these days are cycling shorts worn under the
normal motocycling trousers, to reduce the *aching bum* effect which sets in
after 100 - 150 miles (depending on the motorcycle seat shape/quality).

I've seen one reference to cycle shorts with *gel* pad inserts as being even
better than foam inserts, but can't find any in my local bike shops or on
the w-w-web.

Any help from the knowledgeable here would be appreciated so I can pass the
info on :~)

--
Thanks ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.BMWF650.co.uk

elyob
July 15th 03, 12:17 PM
"Trevor George" > wrote in message
> Hi fellow cyclists. I'm also a motorcyclist and I hear that the favorite
> gear of touring motorcyclists these days are cycling shorts worn under the
> normal motocycling trousers, to reduce the *aching bum* effect which sets
in
> after 100 - 150 miles (depending on the motorcycle seat shape/quality).
>
> I've seen one reference to cycle shorts with *gel* pad inserts as being
even
> better than foam inserts, but can't find any in my local bike shops or on
> the w-w-web.
>
> Any help from the knowledgeable here would be appreciated so I can pass
the
> info on :~)

http://www.tricosports.com/C_detail.cfm?ID=60-100

Maybe get a dealer from the US to send some across??

Bill
July 15th 03, 01:32 PM
Trevor George > wrote in message
> Hi fellow cyclists. I'm also a motorcyclist and I hear that the favorite
> gear of touring motorcyclists these days are cycling shorts worn under the
> normal motocycling trousers, to reduce the *aching bum* effect which sets
in
> after 100 - 150 miles (depending on the motorcycle seat shape/quality).

Tried it, didn't work on a 400 mile round trip, my bum ached achingly.

Then tried a sheepskin. No aches or discomfort.

Now my wrists, but that's a different story.

Bill

Trevor George
July 15th 03, 02:42 PM
elyob wrote in message ...
> Try http://www.tricosports.com/C_detail.cfm?ID=60-100
> Maybe get a dealer from the US to send some across??

Most impressed ... then I read Bill's post below :~(

Oh well, they might be worth trying, as I've heard good recommendations from
other motorcyclists.

I guess its all to do with the *bum-size/body-weight/seat-width/seat-shape*
ratio.

--
Cheers ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.BMWF650.co.uk

Bill
July 15th 03, 03:05 PM
Trevor George > wrote in message
> Bill wrote in message ...
> > Tried it, didn't work on a 400 mile round trip, my bum ached achingly.
> > Then tried a sheepskin. No aches or discomfort.
>
> Just a sheepskin? No extra foam beneath?

Nope. Just the sheepskin. Don't ask me how it works. Perhaps it allows
air to circulate.
Got the idea from my wife who uses one one her wheelchair. We used to use
them for bedridden patients to prevent pressure sores, in the good old days
when we had a health service that concerned itself with such things.

Bill

Bill
July 15th 03, 03:10 PM
Trevor George > wrote in message
> elyob wrote in message ...
> > Try http://www.tricosports.com/C_detail.cfm?ID=60-100
> > Maybe get a dealer from the US to send some across??

> I guess its all to do with the
*bum-size/body-weight/seat-width/seat-shape*
> ratio.

Don't let me put you off, another man's poison and all that.

As to sizes, large and round, 14 stone, narrow, ER5 shape.

Bill

Eatmorepies
July 15th 03, 10:40 PM
"Trevor George" > wrote in message
> Hi fellow cyclists. I'm also a motorcyclist and I hear that the favorite
> gear of touring motorcyclists these days are cycling shorts worn under the
> normal motocycling trousers, to reduce the *aching bum* effect which sets
in
> after 100 - 150 miles (depending on the motorcycle seat shape/quality).
>
> I've seen one reference to cycle shorts with *gel* pad inserts as being
even
> better than foam inserts, but can't find any in my local bike shops or on
> the w-w-web.

I read this and the reply posts with interest because I ride both types of
bike. However; I find that 100 miles on a motorcycle can give me aches in
April. By July it takes well over 150 miles before I am thinking of my
bottom. By the time I put the motorbike away in October I can pretty much
ignore bum ache.

It's all about regular practice and muscle tone - just like a pedal bike.

John

Trevor George
July 16th 03, 09:11 AM
Eatmorepies wrote in message ...
> I read this and the reply posts with interest because I ride both types of
> bike.

I find it interesting that quite a few of you here also ride motorcycles as
well.

> However; I find that 100 miles on a motorcycle can give me aches in
> April. By July it takes well over 150 miles before I am thinking of my
> bottom. By the time I put the motorbike away in October I can pretty much
> ignore bum ache.

I guess that I ought to change my computer chair for a replica of my
motorcycle seat and get my backside into endurance training all-year-round.

Thanks to everyone who replied ... happy cycling ... safe motorcycling,

--
Cheers ..... Trevor George, Bristol, UK. http://www.OnMyWindow.co.uk

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home