PDA

View Full Version : Re: Speed Camera death...

Peter Connolly
July 15th 03, 02:28 PM
"Stephen (aka steford)" >
wrote in message ...
> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in
> Austria was killed by a speeed camera? It was reported in all seriousness
> and suggested it added fuel to the argument for those hoping to get rid of
> cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh, overtaking
> round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly
> contributed to his death by distracting him with him ending up in a ditch.
> would say it was excessive speed and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think
> otherwise.

Darwinism!

--------
Pete.
Derby.

Stephen \(aka steford\)
July 15th 03, 03:17 PM
Peter Connolly wrote:
> "Stephen (aka steford)"
> > wrote in message
>> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a
>> man in Austria was killed by a speeed camera? It was reported in all
>> seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for those
>> hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was
>> going 200kmh, overtaking round a blind corner when the camera caught
>> him, flashed and supposedly contributed to his death by distracting
>> him with him ending up in a ditch. I would say it was excessive
>> speed and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.
>>

> Darwinism!

Exactly. They even scrambled a helicopter to try and save this idiot
apparently.

Stephen \(aka steford\)
July 15th 03, 05:24 PM
Daniel Auger wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2003, Stephen (aka steford) wrote:
>
>> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a
>> man in Austria was killed by a speeed camera? It was reported in all
>> seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for those
>> hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was
>> going 200kmh, overtaking round a blind corner when the camera caught
>> him, flashed and supposedly contributed to his death by distracting
>> him with him ending up in a ditch. I would say it was excessive
>> speed and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.
>
> Indeed. Though I am sorry for the individual concerned, his friends
> and family.

I'm not. He obviously wasn't thinking about them or others as he cornered at
that speed.

Johnny Klunk
July 15th 03, 05:58 PM
> Turns out that the bloke who died was going 200kmh, overtaking
> round a blind corner when the camera caught him, flashed and supposedly
> contributed to his death by distracting him with him ending up in a ditch.
> would say it was excessive speed and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think
> otherwise.

Is it me, or is the beeb generally very pro-car and very
anti-any-other-form-of-transport? It seems the only time they'll take an
anti-car stance is to berate the government for not keeping promises to
reduce traffic levels.
Apart from hosting a number of programs, hosted by a certain select group of
people (won't mention any names), the news/current affairs is always
anti-cycle, anti-pedestrian, anti-congestion-charging/anti-trains etc etc.

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 15th 03, 06:01 PM
>Is it me, or is the beeb generally very pro-car and very
>anti-any-other-form-of-transport? It seems the only time they'll take an
>anti-car stance is to berate the government for not keeping promises to
>reduce traffic levels.
>Apart from hosting a number of programs, hosted by a certain select group of
>people (won't mention any names), the news/current affairs is always
>anti-cycle, anti-pedestrian, anti-congestion-charging/anti-trains etc etc.

Seems about right :-(

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 15th 03, 07:10 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:45:02 +0100, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> wrote:

>Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning

Which programme? I am minded to ask for a transcript.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
Advance notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP.
Obviously there will be a week of downtime between the engineer
removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same
equipment on the same line in the same exchange and billing it to
the new ISP.

Nick Kew
July 15th 03, 07:15 PM
In article >, one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of "Johnny Klunk" > wrote:

> Is it me, or is the beeb generally very pro-car and very
> anti-any-other-form-of-transport?

The beeb more-or-less ran the petrol-price campaign. First millions-
worth of free publicity for "dump the pump", including all those
instructions to fill up the day before protest-day. Then when the
silent majority didn't support that campaign, they did a lot to
incite the thugs who ran the blockades - a campaign that didn't
need public support 'cos it didn't ask the public.

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars?
Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5, Germany 0.8

Eatmorepies
July 15th 03, 08:49 PM

> Is it me, or is the beeb generally very pro-car and very
> anti-any-other-form-of-transport? It seems the only time they'll take an
> anti-car stance is to berate the government for not keeping promises to
> reduce traffic levels.
> Apart from hosting a number of programs, hosted by a certain select group
of
> people (won't mention any names), the news/current affairs is always
> anti-cycle, anti-pedestrian, anti-congestion-charging/anti-trains etc etc.

I only listen to bits of Radio 4 but I can't recall any anti cycling rants.
I have heard several debates about the value of spending billions on rail
travel - but that arguement has been discussed in this forum.

It's likely that radio presenters are going to be a bit pro-car; they own
cars. I'm pro-car in some circumstances (I own a car); I'd like to amend
that; I'm pro road user and would very much like us all to get get on
without shouting at each other. But; all our transport groups contain
silly/bad/non-observant/non-thinking members. So car drivers rant on about
cyclists running red lights or about motorcyclists who go too fast. Cyclists
rant about the car driver that opens the door on them - but not the 1429
drivers that didn't. etc. ..........

Because I cycle for recreation, drive a car when necessary and motorcyle for
both reasons I suppose I am sitting on the junction of 3 fences. It's a
great view.

John

p.s. sorry for sounding sanctimonious.

Stephen \(aka steford\)
July 15th 03, 10:02 PM
Dave wrote:
> "Stephen (aka steford)"
> > wrote in message
>> Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a
>> man in Austria was killed by a speeed camera? It was reported in all
>> seriousness and suggested it added fuel to the argument for those
>> hoping to get rid of cameras. Turns out that the bloke who died was
>> going 200kmh, overtaking round a blind corner when the camera caught
>> him, flashed and supposedly contributed to his death by distracting
>> him with him ending up in a ditch. I would say it was excessive
>> speed and stupidity but the BBC seemingly think otherwise.
>>

> What ?!!?....his dying words, just heard by the motorist he'd nearly
> totalled - "it was the damn speed camera flash what done for
> me.....uuuhh..."

Yes - I'm amazed by the sheer stupidity of blaming it on the speed camera
but also by the fact that they knew it had flashed and that was the casue.
An eyewitness claimed he was overtaking and doing 200kmh and probably also
mentioned the flash. This undoubtedly got picked up by the anti-camera
groups or his family or something and became the "news" item on the beeb who
were quite happy to blame the camera too. I could barely pedal listening to
this rubbish.

Pete Barrett
July 16th 03, 05:53 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 20:49:28 +0100, "Eatmorepies"
> wrote:

>Because I cycle for recreation, drive a car when necessary and motorcyle for
>both reasons I suppose I am sitting on the junction of 3 fences. It's a
>great view.

Uncomfortable, isn't it?

Pete Barrett

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 16th 03, 05:55 PM
>>Because I cycle for recreation, drive a car when necessary and motorcyle for
>>both reasons I suppose I am sitting on the junction of 3 fences. It's a
>>great view.
>

>Uncomfortable, isn't it?

I guess that depends where the fence posts are located ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 16th 03, 08:20 PM
On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:45:02 +0100, "Stephen \(aka steford\)"
> wrote:

>Anyone hear the outrageous story on BBC radio this morning that a man in
>Austria was killed by a speeed camera?

My website being offline right now (thanks to deliberate
obstructionism by BT, thus confirming that I am entirely right to
ditch them) I will post for your enjoyment the contents of one page
thereof:

(think Jackson Five "Don't Blame It On The Boogie")

Don't Blame It On The Camera
============================

Those cagers always speeding
And it wouldn't be a bad thing
But the cameras are flashing
And the points pile high

I sped right up the M1
Like I was really someone
From that night I kissed
My licence goodbye

CHORUS
Don't blame it on the speeding
Don't blame it on the mobiles
Don't blame it on the cagers
Blame it on the camera.

Don't blame it on speeding
Don't blame it on mobiles
Don't you blame it on cagers
Blame it on the camera.

Illegal speeding bugs me
But somehow it has drugged me
Engine rhythm gets me
My lead feet.

I've changed my life completely
The motor has consumed me
My baby just won't take
A ride with me.

CHORUS

I just can't
I just can't
I just can't control myself.

I just can't
I just can't
I just can't control myself.

CHORUS

This tragic motor grooves me
That dirty greenhouse moves me
The devil's gotten to me
Driving in a trance.

I'm full of traffic anger
A fire burns inside me
Speeding's got me in a
Cager trance

CHORUS

Speeding
Mobiles
Cagers
Camera

Speeding
Mobiles
Cagers
Camera

Don't you blame it
You just got to
You just want to
Yea -

Blame it on yourself
Ain't nobody's fault
But yours and that greenhouse
Speeding all night long

Yours and that greenhouse
Ain't nobody's fault
But yours
Speeding all night long.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home