PDA

View Full Version : Re: Handlebar grips

Stephen \(aka steford\)
July 15th 03, 03:19 PM
Bill wrote:
> It's no good, I can't do it. I've pushed and pulled, sweated and
> cursed, but I cannot get my handlebar grips off my cheapie mountain
> bike. All I want to do is chop the bars down a couple of inches each
> end.
>
> I am trying to do it without damaging them. Guess the next stage is
> wrap them in rag and get a pipe wrench on them.

Dipped them in boiling water?

Dave Larrington
July 15th 03, 03:27 PM
Bill wrote:

> It's no good, I can't do it. I've pushed and pulled, sweated and
> cursed, but I cannot get my handlebar grips off my cheapie mountain
> bike. All I want to do is chop the bars down a couple of inches each
> end.
>
> I am trying to do it without damaging them. Guess the next stage is
> wrap them in rag and get a pipe wrench on them.

Have you tried rolling them up from one end? Alternatively, squirting
water, washing-up liquid or melted Lard between grips and bars from a
syringe may remove enough gription to allow 'em to be hauled off.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Hans Friedlaender
July 15th 03, 03:37 PM
Bill schrieb:
> It's no good, I can't do it. I've pushed and pulled, sweated and cursed,
> but I cannot get my handlebar grips off my cheapie mountain bike. All I want
> to do is chop the bars down a couple of inches each end.
>
> I am trying to do it without damaging them. Guess the next stage is wrap
> them in rag and get a pipe wrench on them.

Slide a thin screwdriver under them and pour in some water. After a few
moments they should slip off.

Hans, BTDT

--
Hans Friedlaender <http://hans.friedlaender.org>
There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand

Seamus
July 15th 03, 04:10 PM
If it's a cheap mountain bike, they're likely to be rubbish handlebar
grips so it'd be no big loss to chop them off and replace with new

--
Seamus
Byke Kultuur Never at...

Arthur Clune
July 15th 03, 04:28 PM
Hans Friedlaender > wrote:

: Slide a thin screwdriver under them and pour in some water. After a few
: moments they should slip off.

I squirt in GT85/WD40 or similar personally, but the basic idea is the
same.

Arhtur

Bill
July 15th 03, 06:12 PM
Bill > wrote in message
> It's no good, I can't do it. I've pushed and pulled, sweated and cursed,
> but I cannot get my handlebar grips off my cheapie mountain bike. All I
want
> to do is chop the bars down a couple of inches each end.
>
> I am trying to do it without damaging them. Guess the next stage is wrap
> them in rag and get a pipe wrench on them.

thanks for the tips all.

The screwdriver and WD40 did the trick.

I'm nearly 30 miles from the nearest bike shop which is why I wanted to
re-use them, even though they are cheapies.

Bill

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home