PDA

View Full Version : Lost GPS in Preston (15/7/2003)

Alexander T. Smith
July 17th 03, 12:07 AM
How ironic, I lost/mis-placed/had stolen my Garmin eMap while in Preston
on Wednesday. If anybody is offered such a unit with the serial number
99235349 please contact myself or the police immediately. It has a
slightly scuffed display (after about 2 years of use) but is otherwise
anonymous.

Alex.
--
http://homepages.enterprise.net/alexsmith
Warning: Anti-UCE address in "From" line.

Tony W
July 18th 03, 09:32 AM
"Alexander T. Smith" > wrote in message

> How ironic, I lost/mis-placed/had stolen my Garmin eMap while in Preston
> on Wednesday. If anybody is offered such a unit with the serial number
> 99235349 please contact myself or the police immediately. It has a
> slightly scuffed display (after about 2 years of use) but is otherwise
> anonymous.

It may be no encouragement or help -- but it knows exactly where it is !!

: )

Ian Dainty
July 18th 03, 09:39 AM
"Tony W" > wrote in message

> It may be no encouragement or help -- but it knows exactly where it is !!
>
> : )

Unless the batteries have expired? Don't GPS's suck the juice out of
batteries at a hell of a rate? Why don't they make one that runs off
the mains?

Ian.

Ambrose Nankivell
July 18th 03, 10:26 AM
Ian Dainty > wrote in message
news:836e6eadd98f2024d71a34ed6ddc53e4.32109@mygate .mailgate.org...
> "Tony W" > wrote in message
>

> > It may be no encouragement or help -- but it knows exactly where it is
!!

> > : )
>
> Unless the batteries have expired? Don't GPS's suck the juice out of
> batteries at a hell of a rate? Why don't they make one that runs off
> the mains?

I'm working on it. I've got one that works quite successfully, but it needs
time consuming recalibration with an OS map every time you change the socket
you're using.

Fran
July 18th 03, 01:30 PM
Ian Dainty said...
> "Tony W" > wrote in message
>

> > It may be no encouragement or help -- but it knows exactly where it is !!
> >
> > : )
>
> Unless the batteries have expired? Don't GPS's suck the juice out of
> batteries at a hell of a rate? Why don't they make one that runs off
> the mains?

Mains?? You must be walking in some very strange places if
you've got mains access! :-)
--

Fran
The email address in the headers is now a spamtrap; however

Osprey
July 18th 03, 02:21 PM
"Fran" > wrote in message
> Ian Dainty said...
> > "Tony W" > wrote in message
> >

> > > It may be no encouragement or help -- but it knows exactly where it is
!!

> > > : )
> >
> > Unless the batteries have expired? Don't GPS's suck the juice out of
> > batteries at a hell of a rate? Why don't they make one that runs off
> > the mains?
>
> Mains?? You must be walking in some very strange places if
> you've got mains access! :-)

Probably needs one to navigate from room to room at home.

Dave Larrington
July 18th 03, 02:31 PM
I quote from an article lurking in the databases here in the Nut Mines:

"Tractors constitute the largest sector within this market [Agricultural
Machinery in Germany], accounting for almost 50% of sales in 2001. Tractors
have become more sophisticated with *on-board satellite navigation systems*,
hydraulics and three point linkages increasing productivity."

I know that farms are getting bigger these days, but do they /really/ need
sat-nav to find their way back from the Thirty Acre Field?

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Dominic Sexton
July 18th 03, 03:09 PM
In article >, Dave
Larrington > writes
>I know that farms are getting bigger these days, but do they /really/ need
>sat-nav to find their way back from the Thirty Acre Field?

No they use it for precision application of seed, fertilisers and
pesticides. It can also be used when harvesting to record the yield of
the fields by area so that in the next cycle the application of seed /
fertiliser can be adjusted to boost poor areas.

--

Dominic Sexton
http://www.dscs.demon.co.uk/

Helen Deborah Vecht
July 18th 03, 04:55 PM
Thus spake Yuno Hu >

> >I wouldn't mind one .. can you let me know what your route was ;)

> Certainly. Over the hill and through the woods -- I was going to
> grandmother's house you see.

Oh Grandma, what big eyes you have...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

elyob
July 19th 03, 06:39 PM
<Bill Grates> wrote in message
s.com...
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:39:37 +0000 (UTC), "Ian Dainty"
> > wrote:
>
> >"Tony W" > wrote in message
>

> >> It may be no encouragement or help -- but it knows exactly where it is
!!

> >> : )
> >
> >Unless the batteries have expired? Don't GPS's suck the juice out of
> >batteries at a hell of a rate? Why don't they make one that runs off
> >the mains?
>
> There will soon be lap top computers that run off of methane.

They'll just work in the loo though ... :)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home