PDA

View Full Version : My first lone tour of the South Downs Way. Help please!

Carlos Moreira
July 17th 03, 10:14 AM
Dear friends,

I plan to cross the whole South Downs Way by bicycle in late August
alone, in just 2 days.
Do you have any suggestions or advices to give me?

I plan to spend a overnight by the middle of the route somewhere in
the Arundel (or north of it) area.
Do you know of any other cheap and decent accommodation near Arundel
that isn't neither a camping site nor the Arundel youh hostel?

Do you know if in Amberley or Storrington there are any B&B's or Guest
Houses?

Would appreciate your kind help.

many thanks in advance.

Carlos Moreira
Porto, Portugal

Richard Bates
July 17th 03, 10:59 AM
On 17 Jul 2003 02:14:05 -0700, (Carlos Moreira) in
> wrote:

>Dear friends,
>
>I plan to cross the whole South Downs Way by bicycle in late August
>alone, in just 2 days.

Sorry, I cannot recommend any accomodation specifically, but I
remember there being a couple of pubs in Arundel which offered
accomodation. I stayed at the Youth Hostel.

If you want to read about my journey which almost but not quite
entirely omitted the South Downs Way, look at:

http://www.cuddle.clara.net/cycling/tour2002/index.htm

Enjoy, and good luck.

Rich x

--
Two cannibals eating a clown. One says to the other,
"Does this taste funny to you?"

Jinx
July 17th 03, 11:49 AM
"Carlos Moreira" > wrote in message
om...
> Dear friends,
>
> I plan to cross the whole South Downs Way by bicycle in late August
> alone, in just 2 days.
> Do you have any suggestions or advices to give me?
>
> I plan to spend a overnight by the middle of the route somewhere in
> the Arundel (or north of it) area.
> Do you know of any other cheap and decent accommodation near Arundel
> that isn't neither a camping site nor the Arundel youh hostel?
>
> Do you know if in Amberley or Storrington there are any B&B's or Guest
> Houses?
>
> Would appreciate your kind help.
>
> many thanks in advance.
>
> Carlos Moreira
> Porto, Portugal

you could try looking on the http://www.touristnetuk.com website

regards

Andy B
July 17th 03, 02:17 PM
"Jinx" > wrote in message >...
> "Carlos Moreira" > wrote in message
> om...
> > Dear friends,
> >
> > I plan to cross the whole South Downs Way by bicycle in late August
> > alone, in just 2 days.
> > Do you have any suggestions or advices to give me?
> >
> > I plan to spend a overnight by the middle of the route somewhere in
> > the Arundel (or north of it) area.
> > Do you know of any other cheap and decent accommodation near Arundel
> > that isn't neither a camping site nor the Arundel youh hostel?
> >
> > Do you know if in Amberley or Storrington there are any B&B's or Guest
> > Houses?
> >
> > Would appreciate your kind help.
> >
> > many thanks in advance.
> >
> > Carlos Moreira
> > Porto, Portugal
>
> you could try looking on the http://www.touristnetuk.com website
>
> regards

Isn't there the White Lion in Arundel. Don't know if they do rooms but
it's a dead famous pub. you could crash on the floor.

btw, what's your route. i'm not sure if i know the start/end points of
the downs. sounds a very nice ride.

Terry
July 17th 03, 04:09 PM
> > Do you know of any other cheap and decent accommodation near Arundel
> > that isn't neither a camping site nor the Arundel youh hostel?

You can telephone the tourist information agency covering that area
and tell them your needs and how much or how little you would like to
spend and they will give you a list of telephone numbers and addresses
or even book it for you.
That is what I do often.
20 pounds is probably the least you would pay in that area, and
usually that standard suits me .
http://www.visitbritain.com/
http://www.sussextourism.org.uk/index.shtml
Arundel tourist information centre,
61 High Street, Arundel BN18 9AJ
Tel: 01903 882268
Fax: 01903 882419
Email:
http://www.sussexbythesea.com/

TerryJ

Andy Key
July 21st 03, 11:09 PM
In message >, Carlos
Moreira > writes
>Dear friends,
>
>I plan to cross the whole South Downs Way by bicycle in late August
>alone, in just 2 days.
>Do you have any suggestions or advices to give me?
>
>I plan to spend a overnight by the middle of the route somewhere in
>the Arundel (or north of it) area.
>Do you know of any other cheap and decent accommodation near Arundel
>that isn't neither a camping site nor the Arundel youh hostel?
>
>Do you know if in Amberley or Storrington there are any B&B's or Guest
>Houses?

Look at the South Downs Virtual Information Centre at
http://www.vic.org.uk - the accommodation guide is quite good. It lists
5 places to stay in Storrington, 9 in Arundel and 4 in Amberley, though
Amberley Castle (B&B up to GBP 179 a night) probably doesn't count as
cheap!

--

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home