PDA

View Full Version : Re: Second recumbent century

Anders HJ
July 17th 03, 10:55 AM
> It's an Optima Stinger - see
> http://www.optima-cycles.nl/eng/2-10-1.htm

I just bougth one of these (partly because of reading Guy's homepage
several times, thanks Guy). It comes in a very beautifull red color,
and is a biiig pleasure riding! Im around 400km now (about 250 miles).
And I find it very easy to ride, even at low speeds and tight corners
and in the city traffic too. I have mounted a very nice flag. Inspired
by the danish flag with red backgroud and a big white cross (made of
reflective tape).

But I have to get the gearing changed too, as 30mph is the fastest I
can spin it up to and it feels like its possible to get quite some
more out of it.

If you get near one, try it!

Regards,

Anders

-----------

(remove the words, you know, for replying directly.)

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 17th 03, 10:09 PM
On 17 Jul 2003 02:55:43 -0700, (Anders HJ) wrote:

>But I have to get the gearing changed too, as 30mph is the fastest I
>can spin it up to and it feels like its possible to get quite some
>more out of it.

I have two cassettes, an 11-32 wide range and a 12-25 close ratio. The
12-25 gives me better average speeds, but the 11-32 is better on hills
:-)

I can't spin at much over 120rpm so I usually coast above 37mph.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

Anders HJ
July 22nd 03, 12:09 PM
> >But I have to get the gearing changed too, as 30mph is the fastest I
> >can spin it up to and it feels like its possible to get quite some
> >more out of it.
>
> I have two cassettes, an 11-32 wide range and a 12-25 close ratio. The
> 12-25 gives me better average speeds, but the 11-32 is better on hills
> :-)
>
> I can't spin at much over 120rpm so I usually coast above 37mph.

I have plans to change to the 11-32 soon too, as a start. And then
maybe get the 65T chainring from Optima to exchange with the 61T thats
on the bike now. But i'm not sure wether that can be done. On their
homepage it is described as a chainring with protection on both sides,
and I have not asked them yet if the protection can be removed from
the inside. And I think it will wait till the 61T is worn out so I
have to order something anyway. I expect that to be in a year or so.

Regards,

Anders

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 23rd 03, 09:10 AM
"Anders HJ" > wrote in message
om...

> Well, it doesn't tell on the bike, but it was build 1 month ago, so I
> suspect it is the newest design they have. I hope so...

Easy to tell: there's a fillet under the frame at the head tube.

> Another question. I recall that you migth use the bike box from
> Ortlieb? If that is correct, do you use it on the Stinger? And if you
> use it at all, do you find it big and handy enough for daily use?

Yes, yes and yes :-)

I fitted the top of a Blackburn-close rack onto the built-in Stinger rack
and mounted the Bike Box quick release on that. It works just fine. The
Bike-Box is completely waterproof and big enough to take sandwich box,
shirt, trousers, shoes, waterproof and toolkit.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com