PDA

View Full Version : Chainset advice

Martin Roberts
July 17th 03, 01:22 PM
I'd like to upgrade the chainset on my Ridgeback bike. It currently
has a C203 (Nexave?) chainset with 28/38/48 T. All the decent Shimano
bits seem to have either lower (max 44T) or higher (50T) top rings. I
don't really want to change the gearing so what options do I have
from, say, other manufacturers?

Also, are 9-speed chainsets compatible with 8-spd systems?

thanks,

Martin

Clive George
July 17th 03, 01:40 PM
"Martin Roberts" > wrote in message
om...
> I'd like to upgrade the chainset on my Ridgeback bike.

Possibly irritating question : What do you hope to gain from this upgrade?

(I'd wait until the chainset was worn out before replacing it...)

cheers,
clive

Dave Larrington
July 17th 03, 01:57 PM
Martin Roberts wrote:

> I'd like to upgrade the chainset on my Ridgeback bike. It currently
> has a C203 (Nexave?) chainset with 28/38/48 T. All the decent Shimano
> bits seem to have either lower (max 44T) or higher (50T) top rings. I
> don't really want to change the gearing so what options do I have
> from, say, other manufacturers?

Some places sell cranksets which can then be equipped with chainrings to
choice. For example, St John Street Cycles sell their own-brand Thorn
cranks - http://www.sjscycles.com/store/cat363.htm, and Settle Cycles the TA
Alize and Zephyr -
http://www.settlecycles.co.uk/shop/product_list.asp?TypeID=136&DeptID=18

> Also, are 9-speed chainsets compatible with 8-spd systems?

Yes.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

MD
July 17th 03, 02:42 PM
Martin Roberts wrote:
> I'd like to upgrade the chainset on my Ridgeback bike. It currently
> has a C203 (Nexave?) chainset with 28/38/48 T. All the decent
Shimano
> bits seem to have either lower (max 44T) or higher (50T) top rings.
> don't really want to change the gearing so what options do I have
> from, say, other manufacturers?

Bikedock have a Deore chainset with these very ratios for under £40,
and free delivery. The standard is 22/32/44, so you have to look for
it.

--

Regards,

Mark Davies