PDA

View Full Version : Micro$oft Autoroute

Richard Bates
July 17th 03, 12:11 PM
I sometimes use Autoroute to plan cycle trips (mainly to calculate
approximate distances).

I asked it suggest a route from Holyhead to Lowestoft, avoiding
motorways and A roads.

It suggested I caught a ferry to Liverpool via Dublin!

Love and daftness from Rich x

--
Two cannibals eating a clown. One says to the other,
"Does this taste funny to you?"

jerome oswald-jones
July 17th 03, 11:49 PM
I've been looking at microsofts autoroute 2002 to do the same thing
especially as it can show you any near by pubs, heheh. Prob is it doesn't
yet take into account footpaths/public right of way etc.

Does anyone know if autoroute 2003 covers foot/cycle paths yet or of any
other software packages that can do this?

My only option at mo is to get the shortest route from autoroute then cross
ref on the ordinance survey maps.

Ta, jerome

"Richard Bates" > wrote in
message ...
> I sometimes use Autoroute to plan cycle trips (mainly to calculate
> approximate distances).
>
> I asked it suggest a route from Holyhead to Lowestoft, avoiding
> motorways and A roads.
>
> It suggested I caught a ferry to Liverpool via Dublin!
>
> Love and daftness from Rich x
>
> --
> Two cannibals eating a clown. One says to the other,
> "Does this taste funny to you?"
> To reply replace the obvious bit with "richard"

Velvet
July 17th 03, 11:52 PM
"jerome oswald-jones" > wrote in message
> I've been looking at microsofts autoroute 2002 to do the same thing
> especially as it can show you any near by pubs, heheh. Prob is it doesn't
> yet take into account footpaths/public right of way etc.
>

> Does anyone know if autoroute 2003 covers foot/cycle paths yet or of any
> other software packages that can do this?
>
> My only option at mo is to get the shortest route from autoroute then
cross
> ref on the ordinance survey maps.
>
> Ta, jerome

I have 2003 autoroute, and it doesn't go down to all the minor roads
(thinking the ones marked on maps as very minor ones - white, I think?) let
alone the footpaths or cycletracks. Neither does it show terrain info (or
at least if it does, I can't find the option that turns it on) - which means
I go back to a normal map if looking at places to cycle...

Velvet

jerome oswald-jones
July 18th 03, 12:02 AM
Damn that was quick! It's got a terrain map selection thingy that does not
seem to do much. Pants.

Ordinance survey has their own Emapping jobbie, does anyone know if it's any
good for that sort of thing?

(really a pub to pub route in kent would be great. think the beer mats
should have cycle routes to the next local)

Jerome

"Velvet" > wrote in message
> "jerome oswald-jones" > wrote in message
> > I've been looking at microsofts autoroute 2002 to do the same thing
> > especially as it can show you any near by pubs, heheh. Prob is it
doesn't
> > yet take into account footpaths/public right of way etc.
> >

> > Does anyone know if autoroute 2003 covers foot/cycle paths yet or of any
> > other software packages that can do this?
> >
> > My only option at mo is to get the shortest route from autoroute then
> cross
> > ref on the ordinance survey maps.
> >
> > Ta, jerome
> >

> I have 2003 autoroute, and it doesn't go down to all the minor roads
> (thinking the ones marked on maps as very minor ones - white, I think?)
let
> alone the footpaths or cycletracks. Neither does it show terrain info (or
> at least if it does, I can't find the option that turns it on) - which
means
> I go back to a normal map if looking at places to cycle...
>
> Velvet

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 18th 03, 09:26 AM
"Richard Bates" > wrote in
message ...

> I asked it suggest a route from Holyhead to Lowestoft, avoiding
> motorways and A roads.

In the Olden Days the Autoroute preferred route form Southampton to
Portsmouth avoiding motorways was via the Isle of Wight :-)

That was before it was Billware, of course.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Colin Blackburn
July 18th 03, 09:58 AM
In article >,
says...
> "Richard Bates" > wrote in
> message ...
>
> > I asked it suggest a route from Holyhead to Lowestoft, avoiding
> > motorways and A roads.
>

> In the Olden Days the Autoroute preferred route form Southampton to
> Portsmouth avoiding motorways was via the Isle of Wight :-)

It's a bit like the timetable system on National Rail's website. If you
ask for a late night train between, say, Durham and Chester-le-Street it
will suggest the last train to Newcastle (not stopping at C-le-S), six
or seven hours on the platform at Newcastle Central being moved on by
the police, or a hotel room for the night, and then the first train from
Newcastle to C-le-S in the morning. All for what is a five minute
journey direct. It's faster by bike I tell you!

Colin

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 21st 03, 09:20 PM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:51:17 +0000 (UTC), Mike Draper
> wrote:

>So it does - but then the only road off Anglesey is the A5, and you
>told it to avoid A roads .....

A4080 Porthaethwy (Menai Bridge)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

Tim Hall
July 21st 03, 11:24 PM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 21:20:39 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 18:51:17 +0000 (UTC), Mike Draper
> wrote:
>
>>So it does - but then the only road off Anglesey is the A5, and you
>>told it to avoid A roads .....
>
>A4080 Porthaethwy (Menai Bridge)

A55 too these days. Runs about a quarter of a mile to the side of the
old A5. Dual carriageway so you get to Holyhead a bit quicker.

Tim
In space no one can eat ice cream

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 22nd 03, 09:10 AM
"Tim Hall" > wrote in message

> >>So it does - but then the only road off Anglesey is the A5

> >A4080 Porthaethwy (Menai Bridge)

> A55 too these days. Runs about a quarter of a mile to the side of the
> old A5. Dual carriageway so you get to Holyhead a bit quicker.

Another bridge?

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Tim Hall
July 22nd 03, 11:20 PM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 09:10:48 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> wrote:

>> >A4080 Porthaethwy (Menai Bridge)
>
>> A55 too these days. Runs about a quarter of a mile to the side of the
>> old A5. Dual carriageway so you get to Holyhead a bit quicker.
>
>Another bridge?

Nah, same old R Stevenson bridge(?), just that they've fiddled around
with the numbering. The primary route seems to be the A55 across the
top of Wales rather than Telford's coach road. I think the A5 and A55
share sonme of the same ground for a bit.

Tim
In space no one can eat ice cream

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 23rd 03, 09:05 AM
"Tim Hall" > wrote in message

> >Another bridge?

> Nah, same old R Stevenson bridge

I knew that ;-)

I was really just pointing out that there are two bridges off Anglesey, the
Brittania and the Menai.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

IanB
July 25th 03, 05:02 PM
"Richard Bates" > wrote in
message ...
> I sometimes use Autoroute to plan cycle trips (mainly to calculate
> approximate distances).
>
> I asked it suggest a route from Holyhead to Lowestoft, avoiding
> motorways and A roads.
>
> It suggested I caught a ferry to Liverpool via Dublin!
>
> Love and daftness from Rich x

I don't know about Autoroute but I once tried asking Streetmap (i think it
was) the shortest route from home (just North of London) to Brighton and at
the end of my street it sent me down an alley, 4ft wide with "No Cycling"
signs. I did not try it in my car.

--
IanB

swap my names around to reply to me
p.s my news server down so message will be delayed in sending

Gary Knighton
August 27th 03, 12:06 PM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:11:20 +0100, contributor Richard Bates had
scribed:
> I sometimes use Autoroute to plan cycle trips (mainly to calculate
> approximate distances).
>
> I asked it suggest a route from Holyhead to Lowestoft, avoiding
> motorways and A roads.
>
> It suggested I caught a ferry to Liverpool via Dublin!

The knack to get AutoRoute to offer routes which avoid motorways and
use 'A' roads less is to use the minimum speed setting for motorway and
a reduce the speeds to that more realistic of that which one cycles,
reducing dual carriageways and 'A' roads even further. Should a ferry
combination be suggested then mark it/them to be avoided.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes
only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an
underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Terry
August 28th 03, 11:48 PM

> The knack to get AutoRoute to offer routes which avoid motorways and
> use 'A' roads less is to use the minimum speed setting for motorway and

Having spent many hours trying to get it to do something sensible I
have fixed on first marking the point a to b with a straight
line(distance tool) then pushpinning frequently right along the route,
staying close to the line if possible.The tricks mentioned above may
reduce the number of pushpins needed.
You might do as well with a paper road map and I usually do, but
autoroute does give you finer detail, road names and distance measures
when you want them.Useful in towns and cities especially.

TerryJ

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home