PDA

View Full Version : Place Names

Richard Bates
July 17th 03, 12:22 PM
Any body know of any funny named villages, appropriate for cycling? I
have just seen a place called UFFINGTON. Sounds like my breathing when
winching up a steep hill.

Wimblington - a place where cyclists go so slowly they get lost.

Knossington - When cyclists clear their nose, over the shoulder style.

Stanton Long - A tandem manufacturer.

Pumpsaint - Someone who rescues you after puncuring both spare inners.

--
Two cannibals eating a clown. One says to the other,
"Does this taste funny to you?"

Simon Mason
July 18th 03, 09:52 AM
Richard Bates > wrote in message >...
> Any body know of any funny named villages, appropriate for cycling? I
> have just seen a place called UFFINGTON. Sounds like my breathing when
> winching up a steep hill.

I've been there, it's got a big white horse on the hill.

We've got a village up the road called SKIDBY.
Then there's WALKINGTON when you have to walk a century when you've a
flat. WAWNE is the village where your bearings give up.
If you manage your century then you've DUNSWELL.
If your offspring manage a century - BAINTON (local idiom)
After running over a rock, you're glad your RIMSWELL.

Simon

Colin Blackburn
July 18th 03, 10:02 AM
In article >,
says...
> Any body know of any funny named villages, appropriate for cycling? I
> have just seen a place called UFFINGTON. Sounds like my breathing when
> winching up a steep hill.

Up here there is No Place for when you're lost, Pity Me for sorting out
double punctures in the rain, and Wallish Walls which you discover they
are if you hit them. Wide Open offers some good riding.

Colin

Jim Price
July 18th 03, 12:05 PM
Dave Larrington wrote:

> Richard Bates wrote:
>

>>Any body know of any funny named villages, appropriate for cycling?
>
> ****tlehope, County Durham. Where the P+nct+r+ Fairy goes on holiday.

Bibstone, Gloucs. Where the PSF goes to work.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

martin
July 18th 03, 05:24 PM
Jim Price > wrote in message >...
> Richard Bates wrote:
>
> > Any body know of any funny named villages, appropriate for cycling? I
> > have just seen a place called UFFINGTON. Sounds like my breathing when
> > winching up a steep hill.
> >
> > Wimblington - a place where cyclists go so slowly they get lost.
> >
> > Knossington - When cyclists clear their nose, over the shoulder style.
> >
> > Stanton Long - A tandem manufacturer.
> >
> > Pumpsaint - Someone who rescues you after puncuring both spare inners.
>
> From Douglas Adams and John Lloyd's book "The Meaning of Liff":
>
> WORMELOW TUMP (n.)
>
> Any seventeen-year-old who doesn't know about anything at all in the
> world other than bicycle gears.
OT but another couple from that excellent book which I recently
re-found in an Oxfam shop:
Wroot; a short berk who gives you the impression that by looking at
you in a contemplative way and pulling on his pipe he is 6 foot tall
and infinitely wise.
Low Eggburgh; a quiet unregarded man who is actually building an
atomic bomb in his garden shed.

Helen Deborah Vecht
July 18th 03, 06:10 PM
Thus spake (martin)

> Wroot; a short berk who gives you the impression that by looking at
> you in a contemplative way and pulling on his pipe he is 6 foot tall
> and infinitely wise.
> Low Eggburgh; a quiet unregarded man who is actually building an
> atomic bomb in his garden shed.

Clonmult, Sadberge & Buldoo remind me of Audax controls. I lent my copy
of 'The Meaning of Liff' to friend...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 18th 03, 08:47 PM
>Up here there is No Place for when you're lost, Pity Me for sorting out
>double punctures in the rain, and Wallish Walls which you discover they
>are if you hit them. Wide Open offers some good riding.

There's always Bog Houses for when you are caught short too...

I want a Colnago C40, so perhaps I need to visit Make Me Rich.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 18th 03, 08:56 PM
>Beware of this book - you can end up incomprehensible, even to your
>friends (or just get them a copy).

My personal favs in the book are

WATH the rage of Roy Jenkins (or a more modern interpretation could be the
rage of Jonathan Ross)

WRITTLE of a steel ball, to settle into a hole

and with an East Anglian flavour

YARMOUTH (even though in the book this one isn't Gt. Yarmouth) To shout at
foreigners in the belief that the louder you speak, the better they'll
understand you

LOWESTOFT (b) the correct name for 'navel fluff'

FRING the noise made by a lightbulb which has just shone its last

Of course, once I've done the Randonee on 27th, and been in Paris for the end
of Le Tour, that evening I hope to be SOLENT in the hotel bar ;-)

Cheers, helen s

(SOLENT (adj.) Descriptive of the tate of serene self-knowledge reached through
drink.)

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

James Hodson
July 19th 03, 01:01 AM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:22:21 +0100, Richard Bates
> wrote:

>Any body know of any funny named villages, appropriate for cycling? I
>have just seen a place called UFFINGTON. Sounds like my breathing when
>winching up a steep hill.

OS 1:50,000 series (map 186) SU 928 497 gives Christmaspie.

Christmaspie (it is all one word) is a small part of a village called
Flexford (Surrey). Flexford lies roughly half way between the
A31(Hog's Back - Guildford to Farnham) and the A323 (Guildford to
Aldershot).

Maybe Christmaspie isn't exactly cycling related but would you sniff
your nose at it if you were bonking on Boxing Day?

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

Tony W
July 19th 03, 07:56 AM
"James Hodson" > wrote in message

> Maybe Christmaspie isn't exactly cycling related but would you sniff
> your nose at it if you were bonking on Boxing Day?

Cold Christmas in Herts. seems less inviting.

RJ Webb
July 19th 03, 09:21 AM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 07:56:46 +0100, "Tony W"
> wrote:

>"James Hodson" > wrote in message
>>
>> Maybe Christmaspie isn't exactly cycling related but would you sniff
>> your nose at it if you were bonking on Boxing Day?
>

>Cold Christmas in Herts. seems less inviting.

Does Christmas Common (Chilterns) come round more than once a year?
And is it twinned with Booze, Arkengarthdale Nr Richmond.

Richard Webb

Tony W
July 19th 03, 10:45 AM
"Tony W" > wrote in message

> Cold Christmas in Herts. seems less inviting.

For those that think this is nasty there is, indeed, Nasty a few miles away.

Helen Deborah Vecht
July 19th 03, 04:56 PM
Thus spake "Tony W" >

> "James Hodson" > wrote in message
> >
> > Maybe Christmaspie isn't exactly cycling related but would you sniff
> > your nose at it if you were bonking on Boxing Day?

> Cold Christmas in Herts. seems less inviting.

Ride on to New Year's Green...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 19th 03, 06:24 PM
in article , Helen Deborah Vecht at
wrote on 19/7/2003 4:56 pm:

> Ride on to New Year's Green...

Quote so. Christmas? Common. In South Oxfordshire, obviously.

Cyclists needing a hedge stop may wish to avail themselves of Pishill.

Guy

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 19th 03, 06:45 PM
in article , Jim Price at
wrote on 18/7/2003 6:22 pm:

> Beware of this book - you can end up incomprehensible, even to your
> friends (or just get them a copy).

Nacton, Kibblesworth and Nad are all in regular use in the Chapman
household.

Guy

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 19th 03, 06:51 PM
in article , Richard Bates at
wrote on 17/7/2003 12:22 pm:

> Any body know of any funny named villages, appropriate for cycling?

Amazed nobody's mentioned Ryde yet :-)

And anybody who's used a Sustrans path near a river will be familiar with
Clatterbridge

Mr Beloki is more familiar with Wheelock though.

Those who ride Trices with Mountain Drives are probably looking for
Ringmore, but David Millar is maybe more familiar with Ring of Brodger
(sounds like bodger, anyway).

Have we had Chainhurst yet?

Guy

Jim Price
July 19th 03, 07:19 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Nacton, Kibblesworth and Nad are all in regular use in the Chapman
> household.

My household is gradually filling up with exeters, due largely to
tinkering with bicycles...

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Jim Price
July 19th 03, 07:21 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:

> My personal favs in the book are

DARENTH (n.)

Measure = 0.0000176 mg. Defined as that amount of margarine capable of
covering one hundred slices of bread to the depth of one molecule. This
is the legal maximum allowed in sandwich bars in Greater London.

and

GRIMSBY (n.)

A lump of something gristly and foul tasting concealed in a mouthful of
stew or pie. Grimsbies are sometimes merely the result of careless
cookery, but more often they are placed there deliberately by
Freemasons. Grimsbies can be purchased in bulk from any respectable
Masonic butcher on giving him the secret Masonic handbag. One is then
placed correct masonic method of dealing with it. If the guest is not a
Mason, the host may find it entertaining to watch how he handles the
obnoxious object. It may be (a) manfully swallowed, invariably bringing
tears to the eyes. (b) chewed with resolution for up to twenty minutes
before eventually resorting to method (a) (c) choked on fatally. The
Masonic handshake is easily recognised by another Mason incidentally,
for by it a used grimsby is passed from hand to hand. The secret Masonic
method for dealing with a grimsby is as follows : remove it carefully
with the silver tongs provided, using the left hand. Cross the room to
your host, hopping on one leg, and ram the grimsby firmly up his nose,
shouting, 'Take that, you smug Masonic *******.'

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 19th 03, 07:26 PM
in article , Jim Price at
wrote on 19/7/2003 7:19 pm:

> My household is gradually filling up with exeters, due largely to
> tinkering with bicycles...

And apropos of the OP, a Selle San Marco Rolls is undoubtedly a Saddleworth
Moor :-)

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 19th 03, 07:36 PM
in article , Jim Price at
wrote on 19/7/2003 7:24 pm:

> For me, just recently, its been:

Ah, well, I always used to measure the light output of Wonder Lights in
Bleans...

http://www-personal.umd.umich.edu/~nhughes/dna/stories/liff.html

Guy

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 19th 03, 07:49 PM
>Ah, well, I always used to measure the light output of Wonder Lights in
>Bleans...

Isn't the British Standard for cycle front lights 7.85 bleans?

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Tony W
July 19th 03, 08:07 PM
"Tony W" > wrote in message

> > Cold Christmas in Herts. seems less inviting.
>

> For those that think this is nasty there is, indeed, Nasty a few miles
away.

And for the less decerning there is Ugly and Bottom -- both, I think, in
Hampshire.

Tony W
July 19th 03, 08:12 PM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > wrote in message

> And apropos of the OP, a Selle San Marco Rolls is undoubtedly a
Saddleworth
> Moor :-)

And for the guy who lost his GPS there is Ware?

James Hodson
July 20th 03, 05:36 PM
On Sat, 19 Jul 2003 18:51:34 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"

wrote on 17/7/2003 12:22 pm:

>> Any body know of any funny named villages, appropriate for cycling?
>
>Amazed nobody's mentioned Ryde yet :-)

<Pedant mode = on>

It's spelled "ride", no?

<Pedant mode = off>

If I owned one, I'd grab my anorak.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 20th 03, 06:03 PM
James Hodson > wrote:

> If I owned one, I'd grab my anorak.

And rightly so - that is without doubt the most boring thing you've said
all week ;-)

Guy

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 21st 03, 03:39 PM
>Epping was a hardy perennial; I would often ask Mrs Larrington "Shall I ep?"
>at the conclusion of a restaurant meal...

Oh yes, Epping is a frequent habit of mine if I'm stodd at uni bar being
ignored by the bar staff in favour of them having a chat...

In revenge I have been known to issue my own equivalent of Aird of Sleat...

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Rory
July 23rd 03, 10:59 AM
I was just cycling through the village of Nospelt (Luxembourg) this
morning, and as I rode up the hill - just thinking it was harder that
in looked and I should shift down - I noticed the name of the street:
"Focken-Hiel" - I nearly fell of in front of a group of lyokels from
laughing. They must get that all the time from furriners. Sure
anyway, it better than Arsdorf further north.

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 23rd 03, 11:58 AM
> Sure
>anyway, it better than Arsdorf further north.

In German would that be equivalent to a bum village in which to live or visit??

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

July 23rd 03, 09:03 PM
..
Don't forget Paradise, just North of Painswick.

In Gourock, Inverclyde, there's a bar called Cleats.

This post did not necessarily reflect my opinions. So there.

Sent from within Forte's Agent.
Pull the pins out to reply direct.

Richard Bates
July 30th 03, 07:14 PM
On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 12:22:21 +0100, Richard Bates
> in
> wrote:

Yesterday I cycled through a surprisingly flat village called "Hill".

--
If ingnorance is bliss then I am the erm er
luckiest thingy in the whatchamacallit.

Andy Dingley
July 30th 03, 07:47 PM
On 18 Jul 2003 01:52:28 -0700, (Simon Mason) wrote:

>We've got a village up the road called SKIDBY.

Near Hull ?

I was a student in Cottingham (years ago) and rides out to the Half
Moon at Skidby's yorkshire puddings were a regular on Sundays.

Pete
July 30th 03, 08:33 PM
On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 19:14:40 +0100, Richard Bates
> wrote:

>Yesterday I cycled through a surprisingly flat village called "Hill".

Last week I went through No Place. And up to a few years ago, until
it was renamed, I'd have passed Fannybush Road on the way back.

Pete

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home