PDA

View Full Version : Re: If you think your bike was stolen outside Baker St. station...

AndyMorris
July 18th 03, 12:25 AM
Jim Price wrote:
> I cycled down to the J.D.Wetherspoons over Baker St. station this
> evening to meet up with some friends. Outside the station, there is a
> steel railing which had three bicycles locked to it (one of them my
> friend's). I happened to walk outside just at the moment the third one
> was about to be removed by two men with a five foot long bolt cutter!
> When asked what was going on, they explained they were from London
> Underground, and that my friend's bike was now inside the station. The
> one they were about to cut off was a rather smart and new looking
> On-One Il Pompino. I persuaded them to give it a minute and went back
> in to the pub to try and alert the owner, via the manager, who duly
> asked almost everyone in the place if they owned a bike locked up
> outside. It turned out that my mates bike and the other bike had
> already been taken, and the On-One owner just got out in time to save
> his lock. The other two were not so lucky, although they did get
> their bikes back.
>
> The moral of the story - don't lock you bike to LU property, even if
> it isn't very well signposted as such. My friend is an ex-employee, so
> there may be an update as to whether he gets the cost of his destroyed
> lock back.

Did they say why they were destroying people property?

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

Jim Price
July 18th 03, 01:01 AM
AndyMorris wrote:
> Jim Price wrote:
>>The moral of the story - don't lock you bike to LU property, even if
>>it isn't very well signposted as such. My friend is an ex-employee, so
>>there may be an update as to whether he gets the cost of his destroyed
>>lock back.

> Did they say why they were destroying people property?

Unfortunately, I was a little too busy trying to orchestrate saving what
remained of other people's locks using tact and diplomacy to really get
into discussion with them about that. (Plus I'm not going to argue with
someone wielding five feet of steel without superior weapons). However,
if my mate gets any feedback, I'll post it here. Don't hold your breath.
Anyone who knows about the legal situation is welcome to comment, as the
fence was the opposite side of the pavement to the underground station.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Sue
July 20th 03, 10:20 PM
In message >, Jim Price
> writes

>the fence was the opposite side of the pavement to the underground
>station.

The fence and the ground it's on probably belong to the highway
authority (in London is that the borough council?)
Your best bet for finding out is to ask LU whether they're asserting the
fence and land are theirs, and to prove it.

--
Sue ]|(:)

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home