PDA

View Full Version : Bikes on French local trains

Ems
July 18th 03, 05:50 PM
Can anyone tell me the situation regarding travelling with bikes on local
trains (as opposed to TGV) in France.

Is it walk-on, or subject to booking etc.

I am thinking of travelling by train (with bike) in Brittanny.

Thanks

Emyr

remove the mode of transport to reply

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
July 18th 03, 07:12 PM
It's difficult and unpredicable.
On some trains you can take your bike but on others it will follow on maybe
days later.

mark
July 19th 03, 06:28 AM
"Ems" > wrote in message
> Can anyone tell me the situation regarding travelling with bikes on local
> trains (as opposed to TGV) in France.
>
> Is it walk-on, or subject to booking etc.
>
> I am thinking of travelling by train (with bike) in Brittanny.
>
> Thanks
>
> Emyr
>
> remove the mode of transport to reply

If the train is designated as a bike carrying train on the schedule, it will
be walk-on, no charge. At any rate, this was the case during the summer of
2001. The SNCF website has a trip planner which allows you to specify (among
other things) bicycle carrying trains when planning a journey. Otherwise,
just look for the bicycle icon when reading the timetable.
--
mark

David Off
July 20th 03, 12:33 PM
mark wrote:
> "Ems" > wrote in message
>
>>Can anyone tell me the situation regarding travelling with bikes on local
>>trains (as opposed to TGV) in France.
>>
>>Is it walk-on, or subject to booking etc.
>>
>>I am thinking of travelling by train (with bike) in Brittanny.
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Emyr
>>
>>remove the mode of transport to reply
>>

> If the train is designated as a bike carrying train on the schedule, it will
> be walk-on, no charge. At any rate, this was the case during the summer of
> 2001.

This is France (well it is where I am), if you are thick necked enough
you can take your bike onto ANY train - last week a VTT was parked in
the doorway of a TGV that I was on. No it is not allowed but it is
extremely rare for a controller to do anything, certainly your fellow
passengers will not say a word. There are even TGVs equipped with bike
parking, but there is a charge.

For local trains there are restrictions on taking your bike onto them
during peak times, but again no-one ever seems to pay attention to these
restrictions.

David

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home