PDA

View Full Version : Toe injury - ouch!

Julian
July 19th 03, 01:30 PM
Hi

I've recently got the cycling bug again (after 20 yr. - oops) and have
been going slightly mad at weekends and evenings doing as many miles as
I can. The upshot is I now have a badly swollen big toe, the middle
joint is v. painful and I can just about walk with a pronounced limp.
I've been using toe-clips and wearing an old pair of squash shoes which,
I now realise, give me very little support. Do you think the shoes are
the problem? Would a proper cycling shoe be the cure? I don't know about
cleats, are they best?

Any (helpful) advice would be much appreciated as, as yet, I don't have
any cycling buddies to ask.
--
Julian

Peter B
July 19th 03, 01:46 PM
"Julian" > wrote in message
> I've recently got the cycling bug again (after 20 yr. - oops) and have
> been going slightly mad at weekends and evenings doing as many miles as
> I can. The upshot is I now have a badly swollen big toe, the middle
> joint is v. painful and I can just about walk with a pronounced limp.
> I've been using toe-clips and wearing an old pair of squash shoes which,
> I now realise, give me very little support. Do you think the shoes are
> the problem? Would a proper cycling shoe be the cure? I don't know about
> cleats, are they best?

Properly fitting cycling shoes and Shimano SPD <1> cleats should alleviate
the problem as your foot will be held securely by the shoe with power
transmitted through the ball of the foot.
<1> others have their own favourites but Shimanos are competitively priced
and do the job admirably IMO.

I use these, there is a cheaper (515) version I've no experience of them
but imagine they would be ok.
http://www.chainreaI use
thesectioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Pedals+Clipless&ModelID=846

Pete

Tony W
July 19th 03, 01:59 PM
"Julian" > wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I've recently got the cycling bug again (after 20 yr. - oops) and have
> been going slightly mad at weekends and evenings doing as many miles as
> I can. The upshot is I now have a badly swollen big toe, the middle
> joint is v. painful and I can just about walk with a pronounced limp.
> I've been using toe-clips and wearing an old pair of squash shoes which,
> I now realise, give me very little support. Do you think the shoes are
> the problem? Would a proper cycling shoe be the cure? I don't know about
> cleats, are they best?
>
> Any (helpful) advice would be much appreciated as, as yet, I don't have
> any cycling buddies to ask.

My own experience is that squash shoes have to be pretty snug fitting and
are generally very soft. Cycling shoes have to fit well -- but (unless you
are racing) don't need to be too tight (though your feet should not move
around there should be room top wiggle toes).

I road using a pair of fairly stiff tennis shoes for years before I went for
clipless pedals and 'proper' shoes. They were fine.

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 19th 03, 02:04 PM
in article , Peter B at
wrote on 19/7/2003 1:46 pm:

> others have their own favourites but Shimanos are competitively priced
> and do the job admirably IMO.

If you already have foot problems it is probably worth investigating Time,
Look and Speedplay as these are all associated with lower levels of foot
hotspots and numbness. I find Look much more comfortable long term than
SPD. Also, Shimano shoes are notoriously niggardly on width, which makes
toe pain worse (you can use SPD on any brand of cycling shoe of course, but
many bike shops only stock Shimano shoes).

Oh, and the suggestion hereabouts some while back regarding filling the hole
under the insole of the shoe with silicone after the cleats are positioned
correctly is an excellent one. The dip in the sole is sufficient to cause
problems all by itself.

Your Feet May Vary, of course.

Guy

Pete Biggs
July 19th 03, 02:55 PM
Julian wrote:
> I've recently got the cycling bug again (after 20 yr. - oops) and have
> been going slightly mad at weekends and evenings doing as many miles
> as I can. The upshot is I now have a badly swollen big toe, the middle
> joint is v. painful and I can just about walk with a pronounced limp.
> I've been using toe-clips and wearing an old pair of squash shoes
> which, I now realise, give me very little support. Do you think the
> shoes are the problem?

Yes - at least they'll be making it worse (they may be some other cause as
well). I would take a break from cycling altogether until the swelling
and pain reduces and seek medical advice if bad. But if you do have to
cycle in the meantime (eg. to avoid walking!) then ride very gently on
some bog-standard flat rubber pedals with no clips.

> Would a proper cycling shoe be the cure?

Would help a lot, even just stiffer or different ordinary shoes will with
the toe clips. If problem (or any additional problem) is ABOVE the toes,
then different-shape toe clips may help. Plastic ones are available (in
various shapes) as well as metal - some with a relatively soft & flexible
"net" instead of two hard prongs.

> I don't know about cleats, are they best?

They're great. Try them if you can. You need special shoes - which any
good bike shop will have (they're not all expensive). Choice of system
comes down to personal preference and budget, and whether you need to walk
in them much or not. I like Look pedals and find them more efficient,
secure and comfortable than SPD (but poor for walking, though not
impossible), but even SPD is better than toe clips in most ways. There
are many other systems as well.

~PB

Peter B
July 19th 03, 04:23 PM
"Peter B" > wrote in message
> I use these, there is a cheaper (515) version I've no experience of them
> but imagine they would be ok.
> http://www.chainreaI use
> thesectioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Pedals+Clipless&ModelID=846

Which is a load of mumbo-jumbo whereas hopefully this isn't:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Pedals+Clipless&
ModelID=846

Pete

Peter B
July 20th 03, 07:52 AM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > wrote in message
> in article , Peter B at
> wrote on 19/7/2003 1:46 pm:
>
> > others have their own favourites but Shimanos are competitively priced
> > and do the job admirably IMO.
>
> If you already have foot problems it is probably worth investigating Time,
> Look and Speedplay as these are all associated with lower levels of foot
> hotspots and numbness. I find Look much more comfortable long term than
> SPD.

As I said we all have our favourites but what works for one may not be best
for another.

I always used spds on my mtbs and winter bikes but Looks (8+ years) on my
Best Shiney Bike because that's how it came plus they Looked better.
However, a couple of years back I embarked on my first ride on Best Shiney
Bike after its' winter layup and developed a swollen knee.
Due to this I fitted spds to my Best Shiney Bike to test the effect and I've
had no recurrance.

Along with this was the benefit of not falling on my arse when walking on
polished surfaces with the Looks plus being able to walk normally. (I was
going to say without looking a prat but the Lycra and silly polystyrene
beanie ensure I still do).

I'm sure someone will be able to relate a story opposite to this.

Pete

Peter B
July 20th 03, 06:03 PM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > wrote in message

> Oh, and if Looks gave you knee issues, it may well have been the cleat
> angle. I find Looks much more comfortable than SPDs, but a fiddle to
> adjust.

Quite possible but because the knee problem never recurred after fitting the
spds I didn't feel inclined to experiment, if it's working leave it alone
:-)
When I got a new Shiney Best Bike I considered fitting Looks as they Look
better but remembered the knee and left well alone.
What I did do was fit single sided road spds, A515s. These suit the
appearance of the bike better but are a buggar to engage, far harder than
the Looks ever were. Fortunately this is a minor issue as once under way I
don't stop a lot but would still prefer the convenience of double-sided and
when/if the A515s need replacing that's the way I'll go.

>And of course you fall over if you try to walk - but if I wanted to
> walk I wouldn't have brought the bike :-)

Yebbut sooner or later you have to get off it.

Pete

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 20th 03, 06:15 PM
Peter B > wrote:

> >And of course you fall over if you try to walk - but if I wanted to
> > walk I wouldn't have brought the bike :-)

> Yebbut sooner or later you have to get off it.

I can ride to my front door, provided the MDG is not parked across the
front path :-)

Guy

AndyK
July 20th 03, 07:29 PM
Hi

> I've recently got the cycling bug again (after 20 yr. - oops) and have
> been going slightly mad at weekends and evenings doing as many miles as
> I can. The upshot is I now have a badly swollen big toe, the middle
> joint is v. painful and I can just about walk with a pronounced limp.
> I've been using toe-clips and wearing an old pair of squash shoes which,
> I now realise, give me very little support. Do you think the shoes are
> the problem? Would a proper cycling shoe be the cure? I don't know about
> cleats, are they best?
>
> Any (helpful) advice would be much appreciated as, as yet, I don't have
> any cycling buddies to ask.
> --
> Julian

Hi Julian,

Someone else prescribed Shimano type (SPD) pedals, cleats & shoes. Dunno if
this will help you, but if you're after SPDs then sjscycles.com have some by
"wellgo" in the offers section of their web site, fifteen quid a pair.

I mention it 'cuz I've ordered a pair myself, need new ones and want to try
the cheapies to see if they're comparable to the pricier ones I had...

By the way stiff-soled shoes are best for cycling in my opinion - otherwise
the tendons along the base of the foot take too much "jip" and start to feel
sore.

Cheers, AndyK

Pete Biggs
July 21st 03, 11:08 AM
Julian wrote:
> I'm tempted to go a
> step further and get clipless pedals. I'm just a little worried that
> stopping at junctions will be a problem.

It won't be once brain has been rewired (takes a few practice rides to
master the different action of pushing down to get in; rotating heel
outwards to get out). Feet can be engaged and disengaged in an instant
without a thought once used to them.

I find it *easier* to manage with SPD or Look clipless pedals than toe
clips (even non-tightened ones) in central London.

~PB

Peter B
July 21st 03, 09:48 PM
"Julian" > wrote in message
>I think a shoe with a stiffer upper will do the trick, but I'm tempted to
go a
> step further and get clipless pedals. I'm just a little worried that
> stopping at junctions will be a problem.

The perception of the danger is generally greater than the reality.

The last person I saw fall over whilst clipped in was a Lake District MTB
guide trying to pose by doing a trackstand at a red light.
Had it been a mate <1> the ****-taking would have known no bounds but in
this case we stared at the ground and bit our bottom lips ;-)

<1> He was a great guy and became a honary "mate" later but we thought
raising the subject again should be reserved for long standing "mates".

Pete

James Hodson
July 23rd 03, 01:24 AM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 20:48:58 +0000 (UTC), "Peter B"
> wrote:

>The last person I saw fall over whilst clipped in was a Lake District MTB
>guide trying to pose by doing a trackstand at a red light.

Hi Pete

That rings a bell with me from yesterday. I was doing a semi-track
stand - moving forwards extremely slowly and stopping as and when
required - waiting for a car or several to take their right of way at
a roundabout. HONK!!! The guy behind me for some reason didn't
appreciate my not putting one foot on the ground every now and again.

Most strange.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg