PDA

View Full Version : Bike Shop Closing

Richard Bates
July 20th 03, 03:53 PM
I was chatting to a sales assistant in a YHA Adventure Shop today,
after buying a pair of waterproof-breathable overtrousers, and I
commented that there didn't seem to be much in the way of bike stuff
anymore. the reply was that "The Bike Chain" as it is branded is
probably being closed down and replaced with a concession or franchise
type outfit if anybody wants the job. If not then the cycle side of
things may disappear forever.

Not sure if this is a good thing or not. They have never struck me as
being a store that stocked a huge range of equipment, nor where they
particularly good value for money. But from the point of view of it
being the only bike shop in Birmingham city centre, I think it will be
a loss.

When I worked for them, much of the money was made on servicing bikes
of people who commuted into town by bike, yet the management would
never let me use the notion of commuting as a display feature - it
always had to be plastic dummies sitting on full suspension MTBs with
brightly coloured lycra clothing and so-called cool sunglasses.

The upshot is of course, that much of the stock is on sale at between
33%-50% off.

Love and not-quite-bargains from Rich x

--
Two cannibals eating a clown. One says to the other,
"Does this taste funny to you?"

John Mallard
July 20th 03, 05:04 PM
"Richard Bates" > wrote in
message ...
> I was chatting to a sales assistant in a YHA Adventure Shop today,
> after buying a pair of waterproof-breathable overtrousers, and I
> commented that there didn't seem to be much in the way of bike stuff
> anymore. the reply was that "The Bike Chain" as it is branded is
> probably being closed down and replaced with a concession or franchise
> type outfit if anybody wants the job. If not then the cycle side of
> things may disappear forever.
>
> Not sure if this is a good thing or not. They have never struck me as
> being a store that stocked a huge range of equipment, nor where they
> particularly good value for money. But from the point of view of it
> being the only bike shop in Birmingham city centre, I think it will be
> a loss.

Don't know if you count the bottom of Bradford Street as being "City
Centre", but were you aware that On Your Bike have finally opened up?
(Opposite the "Anchor" on Bradford St/Rea St) Something like 18 months after
their supposed "move" there from the Priory.

--
Cheerful pedalling
John Mallard

Peter Rollason
July 21st 03, 08:13 AM
if one of these shops has to go - then I am glad it is the YHA one. They
never struck me as particularly helpful - unless you were buying a mountain
bike.

Pete.

"Ben" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 15:53:27 +0100, Richard Bates
> > wrote:
>
> >Not sure if this is a good thing or not. They have never struck me as
> >being a store that stocked a huge range of equipment, nor where they
> >particularly good value for money. But from the point of view of it
> >being the only bike shop in Birmingham city centre, I think it will be
> >a loss.
>
> I believe On Yer Bike is reopening in Birmingham shortly.
>
> <goes to find MBUK>
>
> From August MBUK:
>
> "...On Your Bike is holding a launch party. Get yourself along to
> 33-40 Bradford Street on 28th July..."
>
> The store actually opened on 23rd June though. Carries Cannondale,
> Marin and Trek apparently.
>
> http://www.onyourbike.net/
> --
> "We take these risks, not to escape from life,
> but to prevent life escaping from us."
> ***** replace 'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

Tim Dunne
July 21st 03, 08:35 AM
"John Mallard" > wrote in message

> Don't know if you count the bottom of Bradford Street as being "City
> Centre", but were you aware that On Your Bike have finally opened up?
> (Opposite the "Anchor" on Bradford St/Rea St) Something like 18 months
after
> their supposed "move" there from the Priory.

I do so hope the same staff have not been retained...

Tim

--
Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
'I find sometimes it’s easy to be myself, but sometimes I find it’s

Tim Dunne
July 21st 03, 08:40 AM
"Richard Bates" > wrote in
message ...

> When I worked for them, much of the money was made on servicing bikes
> of people who commuted into town by bike, yet the management would
> never let me use the notion of commuting as a display feature - it
> always had to be plastic dummies sitting on full suspension MTBs with
> brightly coloured lycra clothing and so-called cool sunglasses.
>
> The upshot is of course, that much of the stock is on sale at between
> 33%-50% off.

I always had a soft spot for them - one Sunday in '99 I'd just cycled back
from a computer fair at Edgbaston with a full load of goodies, when my
bottom bracket suddenly decomposed at Centenary Square. Quite at a loss as
to what to do, I had a brainwave - I took it to the YHA shop. The guy there
(was it you?) replaced it in an hour, while I had a pint at the square peg.
Quite reasonable, too.

On your bike by contrast, seemed unhelpful, arrogant and overpriced.

Tim

--
Sent from Birmingham, UK... Check out www.nervouscyclist.org
'I find sometimes it's easy to be myself, but sometimes I find it's
better to be somebody else.' - Dave Matthews 'So Much To Say'
My 'reply to' address is valid, mail to the posting address is dumped

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home