PDA

View Full Version : What's the trick with SPDs?

Lionel Scales
July 21st 03, 04:41 AM
Have used SPDs for two years now - on both my MTB and tourer. Despite many
thousands of engagements, just cannot 'click' with them - still feels
awkward and non-intuitive.

Am using one pair of Wellgo WPD800s and one of Shimano M515s, with Shimano
shoes and Shimano cleats. Well maintained.

Have used in the past toeclips & straps (with & without cleats), PowerGrips,
Look pedals & cleats - never had any problems and could nearly always engage
pedal without looking or even consciously thinking about it.

Am I the only SPD-phobe? Help!

Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee
July 21st 03, 06:55 AM
I've used the critturs since they came out, transferring from Looks. I've no
difficulty. Are they too loose, too tight? They don't engage as crisply as
Look, but they do. They are much more sensible.

Lionel Scales
July 21st 03, 11:46 AM
Think my original post was ambiguous. The pedals are properly maintained,
lubricated, and adjusted.

I find that I can engage shoe with pedal smoothly only about 5% of the time.
Most times, I'm sliding my foot over the pedal to find the correct position
to click in.

With toeclips and straps, the pedal always hung in the same position, a
small tap on the cage flicked the pedal up level, and in went my foot. With
the Look system, again the pedal hung in one position and it was easy to
engage the large lip on the cleat with the flange on the pedal and snap into
place.

With SPDs I just feel that there is no definite 'reference point' for
engagement, and, despite two years of use, nearly every engagement is
'hit-and-miss'. Very frustrating, especially as I find the SPDs a very good
system overall. I keep thinking that I can't be the only cyclist who feels
that the SPDs are less than intuitive to use. But, then again .....

"Lionel Scales" > wrote in message
> Have used SPDs for two years now - on both my MTB and tourer. Despite
many
> thousands of engagements, just cannot 'click' with them - still feels
> awkward and non-intuitive.
>
> Am using one pair of Wellgo WPD800s and one of Shimano M515s, with Shimano
> shoes and Shimano cleats. Well maintained.
>
> Have used in the past toeclips & straps (with & without cleats),
PowerGrips,
> Look pedals & cleats - never had any problems and could nearly always
engage
> pedal without looking or even consciously thinking about it.
>
> Am I the only SPD-phobe? Help!

Pete Biggs
July 21st 03, 12:23 PM
Lionel Scales wrote:
> I keep thinking that I can't be the only
> cyclist who feels that the SPDs are less than intuitive to use.

No you're not. I agree with you.

~PB

elyob
July 21st 03, 01:44 PM
"Pete Biggs" > wrote in message
> Lionel Scales wrote:
> > I keep thinking that I can't be the only
> > cyclist who feels that the SPDs are less than intuitive to use.
>
> No you're not. I agree with you.

I've got a similar setup to the OP, and I have no problems whatsoever. Has
the OP adjusted the cleats so that they are where he'd intuitively place his
feet?

Rory
July 21st 03, 02:20 PM
"Lionel Scales" > wrote in message >...
> Think my original post was ambiguous. The pedals are properly maintained,
> lubricated, and adjusted.

I also have SPD on my commuter and road bike (single side on the
latter), and was clicking-in (and -out) without thinking about it very
quickly. The only thing I had to do was cut-back the rubber sole
around the cleats on one pair of Cannon m'bike boots, cuz it was
making it hard to engage. The Shimano road shoes worked perfectly,
even though they have a bit of sole as well.
I also changed all my cleats to the double-exit type, as they seem to
have a bit more float, and I find them more comfortable.

Simonb
July 21st 03, 07:53 PM
> I resolved to stop looking at my feet when trying to engage the
> pedals.

True.

They work great. They click in at the exact point on my foot where I'm used
to feeling some pressure.

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 21st 03, 09:21 PM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:33:29 +0100, Jim Price >
wrote:

>I resolved to stop looking at my feet when trying to engage the pedals.

Why would that be a problem? After all, the feet are well out in
front in clear view aren't they? ;-)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

Michael MacClancy
July 21st 03, 09:47 PM
In message >, "Just zis Guy,
you know?" > writes
>On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:33:29 +0100, Jim Price >
>wrote:
>
>>I resolved to stop looking at my feet when trying to engage the pedals.
>
>Why would that be a problem? After all, the feet are well out in
>front in clear view aren't they? ;-)

Not much use when the boom's broken and the pedals are on the floor. :-)
--
Michael MacClancy

Peter Rollason
July 21st 03, 11:44 PM
Why not put your shoes into the pedals. Then mark the shoes with a line as
to where you should be positioning. This helped me and is handy when you
have an absolute mare clicking in.

Other things

Lower you saddle (tempoarily) so that you have greater control over your
foot

Try them on a mountain bike.

Pete.

> With SPDs I just feel that there is no definite 'reference point' for
> engagement, and, despite two years of use, nearly every engagement is
> 'hit-and-miss'. Very frustrating, especially as I find the SPDs a very
good
> system overall. I keep thinking that I can't be the only cyclist who
feels
> that the SPDs are less than intuitive to use. But, then again .....
>
> "Lionel Scales" > wrote in message
> > Have used SPDs for two years now - on both my MTB and tourer. Despite
> many
> > thousands of engagements, just cannot 'click' with them - still feels
> > awkward and non-intuitive.
> >
> > Am using one pair of Wellgo WPD800s and one of Shimano M515s, with
Shimano
> > shoes and Shimano cleats. Well maintained.
> >
> > Have used in the past toeclips & straps (with & without cleats),
> PowerGrips,
> > Look pedals & cleats - never had any problems and could nearly always
> engage
> > pedal without looking or even consciously thinking about it.
> >
> > Am I the only SPD-phobe? Help!

Tony W
July 22nd 03, 10:19 AM
"Just zis Guy, you know?" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:33:29 +0100, Jim Price >
> wrote:
>
> >I resolved to stop looking at my feet when trying to engage the pedals.
>
> Why would that be a problem? After all, the feet are well out in
> front in clear view aren't they? ;-)

No.

Watch Lance for a demonstration of how not to do it.

Jim Price
July 22nd 03, 01:23 PM
Tony W wrote:

> "Just zis Guy, you know?" > wrote in message
>
>>On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:33:29 +0100, Jim Price >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>I resolved to stop looking at my feet when trying to engage the pedals.
>>
>>Why would that be a problem? After all, the feet are well out in
>>front in clear view aren't they? ;-)
>

> No.
>
> Watch Lance for a demonstration of how not to do it.

Indeed, from an interview a short while ago, it seems he's never ridden
a bent, so he's not done it:)

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com