PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid or racer

Caher
July 21st 03, 04:10 PM
Hi all, Now that I’ve managed a few commutes of 45 miles round trip over
the last few weeks I’m having a reassessment. Last week whilst peddling
furiously on my mountain bike (now with semi-slicks) this guy on a racer
cruised passed my almost effortlessly. And as a bad workman I am blaming
my tool. I was wondering about the benefits of upgrading to an out and
out racer or perhaps getting a hybrid. The latter appear about as
heavier as my MTB and the former seem far too fragile for commuting.
There is a half-mile stretch along a river, which could stump a fragile
racer. Is there a robust racer? Any thoughts anyone?

Caher

Pete Biggs
July 21st 03, 05:04 PM
Caher wrote:
> Hi all, Now that I've managed a few commutes of 45 miles round trip
> over the last few weeks I'm having a reassessment. Last week whilst
> peddling furiously on my mountain bike (now with semi-slicks) this
> guy on a racer cruised passed my almost effortlessly. And as a bad
> workman I am blaming my tool. I was wondering about the benefits of
> upgrading to an out and out racer or perhaps getting a hybrid. The
> latter appear about as heavier as my MTB and the former seem far too
> fragile for commuting. There is a half-mile stretch along a river,
> which could stump a fragile racer. Is there a robust racer? Any
> thoughts anyone?

Road racer's are not as fragile as they look. One could possibly be tough
enough just by using 25 instead of 23 or 20mm tyres to better protect the
wheels and provide more suspension. Give one a go if you fancy the idea.

More important practical considerations are: mudguards and rack, so
consider "audax" type bikes as well.

Tell us more about this stretch along the river. What kind of surface?

~PB

Richard
July 21st 03, 05:17 PM
Caher wrote:

> Hi all, Now that I?ve managed a few commutes of 45 miles round trip over
> the last few weeks I?m having a reassessment. Last week whilst peddling
> furiously on my mountain bike (now with semi-slicks) this guy on a racer
> cruised passed my almost effortlessly.

Yeah, but what sort of guy? I regularly get passed at a great rate of
knots by those whippet-like guys in their 60s+ who look like a puff of
breath would knock them over, but who think nothing of knocking off a
hundred miles before breakfast.

R.

Dave
July 21st 03, 07:32 PM
"Michael MacClancy" > wrote in message
> In message >, Caher
> > writes
> >Hi all, Now that I've managed a few commutes of 45 miles round trip over
> >the last few weeks I'm having a reassessment. Last week whilst peddling
> >furiously on my mountain bike (now with semi-slicks) this guy on a racer
> >cruised passed my almost effortlessly. And as a bad workman I am blaming
> >my tool. I was wondering about the benefits of upgrading to an out and
> >out racer or perhaps getting a hybrid. The latter appear about as
> >heavier as my MTB and the former seem far too fragile for commuting.
> >There is a half-mile stretch along a river, which could stump a fragile
> >racer. Is there a robust racer? Any thoughts anyone?
> >
> >Caher
> >

> >--
>
> Changing the tool may not have as much effect as you wish. Learning to
> use the current one better may be more helpful.
>
> Back in April Smudger wrote here, "Let's put the record straight. It's
> the legs that count. Your legs propel the bike. OK, it has to be half
> decent but that's all".
>
> Checking the bike's setup might improve things as might using clipless
> pedals if you don't already. Fitting slicks and pumping them up would
> be cheaper than buying a new bike.
>
> Unfortunately even if you have an 'out and out racer' you'll still
> sometimes get passed effortlessly by asthmatic old farts on gas pipe
> clunkers. (Personal experience speaking here.) It's just that it
> happens a little less frequently. ;-)
>
> You really do need to ask yourself if the extra speed is worth the
> expense. And going more slowly allows you to enjoy the views ;-)
>

> --
> Michael MacClancy

There's always the gearing as well of course. My MTB (specifically ratio'd
for MTB'ing) seems to run out of useable gearing at the point my racer is
just getting going. Oh, and the racers wheels are bigger. The racer looks
like it'd fold under the slightest knock, but it doesn't - personal
experience due to the odd pothole leaping out in front of me, unexpectedly
;-)
It's an old 25 quid, 25 year old second hand jobbie off the intranet where
my wife used to work.
Other advantage - nobody would want to nick it :-)
Cheers,
Dave.

Richard Goodman
July 21st 03, 07:49 PM
"Caher" > wrote in message
> Hi all, Now that I've managed a few commutes of 45 miles round trip over
> the last few weeks I'm having a reassessment. Last week whilst peddling
> furiously on my mountain bike (now with semi-slicks) this guy on a racer
> cruised passed my almost effortlessly. And as a bad workman I am blaming
> my tool. I was wondering about the benefits of upgrading to an out and
> out racer or perhaps getting a hybrid.

Ah, I know the feeling. Of course, as others have said, the legs are the
main thing but those of us not genetically endowed with the heart, lungs and
legs of Armstrong, Ullrich, or even your average club racer need every
advantage we can get with our tools! Of course, we don't want them to look
too much like we're really trying to compete either!

Things I think can help get the most out of a MTB on the road are: narrow
slicks pumped up hard, SPD pedals, and posture - if you have wide, raised
bars put a narrower flat bar on and consider lowering/flipping the stem for
a more aero position. I'm thinking of putting road tri bars on mine, but
this means changing a few other things too. Changing gear ratios may help -
MTBs will have a fairly wide spread of gears, a narrow spread, eg a 12-23
cassette may help you keep within an optimal cadence for road speeds.
Another thing I'm thinking of is replacing my (heavy) sus forks with some
rigid carbon ones - Pace do some that should just drop right in.

Of course, the other option is just to buy another bike, but I haven't found
the right one yet, and so far the changes I've made have been less
expensive!

Rich

W K
July 21st 03, 07:57 PM
"Caher" > wrote in message
> Hi all, Now that I've managed a few commutes of 45 miles round trip over
> the last few weeks I'm having a reassessment. Last week whilst peddling
> furiously on my mountain bike (now with semi-slicks) this guy on a racer
> cruised passed my almost effortlessly. And as a bad workman I am blaming
> my tool.

So, don't buy a racer.
A few extras on rigid MTBs and its as good as many hybrids.
(although I did see a couple of very skinny wheeled ones with tribars
yesterday)

If you go all the way to a decent road bike, you'll have no excuses.

> I was wondering about the benefits of upgrading to an out and
> out racer or perhaps getting a hybrid. The latter appear about as
> heavier as my MTB and the former seem far too fragile for commuting.
> There is a half-mile stretch along a river, which could stump a fragile
> racer. Is there a robust racer? Any thoughts anyone?

A variety of bikes almost fit that category.
A dawes horizon is one of the cheapest tourers.
Looks like a "racer", can fit skinny tyres, and sit in painful positions for
better speed.
Also - its not a real "road race" bike, so theres some room for excuses.

Less excuses can be had with "audax" bikes (designed for long distance
semi-races).
There are also a variety of "winter training" bikes, which may allow you to
fit wider tyres etc.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home