PDA

View Full Version : Re: They know how to do it

Nick Kew
July 21st 03, 07:04 PM
In article >, one of infinite monkeys
at the keyboard of (wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX) wrote:
> cycling info. As well as the very, very detrailed *maps* of all the cycling

Why would you want to detrail a cycling map?

--
Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars?
Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5, Germany 0.8

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 21st 03, 08:34 PM
>Why would you want to detrail a cycling map?

why not whrn mu cat is sittinh on the keyboaaarrd?

Cheers, helen s ;-)

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Michael MacClancy
July 22nd 03, 03:42 PM
In message >, Carol Hague
> writes
>wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX > wrote:
>

>> I know London is trying to do similar - but those sweetly scented
>>Germans seem
>> to have it done most excellently.
>
>If you want to maintain the illusion that Koeln is as sweetly scented as
>its name, I suggest you stay away from the river, or approach it only
>with clothespeg firmly applied to nose :-)

Funny, I've never noticed that the river smells. (Lived in the area for
a number of years and been on the riverside at Duesseldorf and Koeln
many many times.) There are plenty of smelly factories along the Rhine
(not in the centre of Koeln) but the river itself doesn't smell bad.
Perhaps Carol was there on a day when the wind was blowing in the wrong
direction.

Don't avoid the river - it's one of the most impressive things about
Koeln.
--
Michael MacClancy

Dave Larrington
July 22nd 03, 04:12 PM
What Michael said. We rode from the rowing strip out at Dagenham-am-Rhein
along the river to the city centre a couple of times in '97 and I didn't
notice any horrid whiffy pongs. Better yet are the smells next to the
chocolate museum...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 22nd 03, 04:46 PM
>If you want to maintain the illusion that Koeln is as sweetly scented as
>its name, I suggest you stay away from the river, or approach it only
>with clothespeg firmly applied to nose :-)

Last time I was there, it was fine. Mind you, it was (mumble, mumble...) A Long
Time Ago, when I was a teenager. Wuppertal, on the other hand - *stank*.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Tony W
July 22nd 03, 05:08 PM
"Dave Larrington" > wrote in message

> > Oh, and the local beer in Cologne is called Koelsch and in pubs
> > usually
> > comes in stupid little 0.2 litre glasses.
>
> *And* it's vile.

Whereas the alt bier from the *real* city just down river (Düsseldorf) is
very good indeed. It also comes is silly little glassed but they are
bottomless (i.e. continuously refilled/replaced).

PS -- I have known the Rhein (since, for some reason we are into German
spelling) smell a bit rank on a couple of occasions -- but normally its OK.

Tony W
July 22nd 03, 05:12 PM
"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" > wrote in message

> Last time I was there, it was fine. Mind you, it was (mumble, mumble...) A
Long
> Time Ago, when I was a teenager. Wuppertal, on the other hand - *stank*.

Perhaps something to do with Cologne being a wussy place with little real
industry (bending tinfoil and sticking blue ovals on the front & back
excepted) whereas Wuppertal is getting a bit seriously close to the
Ruhrgebeit. In the 70's that stank big time.

Michael MacClancy
July 22nd 03, 05:42 PM
In message >, Tony W
> writes
>Whereas the alt bier from the *real* city just down river (Düsseldorf)
>is very good indeed.

Crikey, traditional Rhineland competition between Duesseldorf (the
biggest village in Germany) and Koeln has spread to u.r.c.

Did you live in Duesseldorf or somewhere close?
--
Michael MacClancy

Michael MacClancy
July 22nd 03, 06:21 PM
In message >,
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX > writes
>So why can't we do it over here as well?
>
>Just got my Fahrradstadtplan of Colgne through from Amazon Germany. Good grief!
>This is not just a map of cycle routes it's a positive repository of excellent
>cycling info. As well as the very, very detrailed *maps* of all the cycling
>routes in and around Cologne, there's a great booklet on cycling facilites,
>bikes on the Rhine (on boats of course) and bikes on the train - plus another
>map of all the train routes where trains take bikes, plus lots of Useful
>Addresses and Useful Telephone Numbers.
>
>I know London is trying to do similar - but those sweetly scented Germans seem
>to have it done most excellently.
>
>Cheers, helen s

Are you going anywhere other than Cologne?
--
Michael MacClancy

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX
July 22nd 03, 06:40 PM
>Are you going anywhere other than Cologne?

Depends how we feel when we get there. We have an apartment booked there to use
as a base, so we can cycle as much or as little as we wish. Depends on weather,
mood...

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

Disgruntled Goat
July 22nd 03, 06:50 PM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 17:22:32 +0100, Michael MacClancy
> wrote:

>In message >, Disgruntled
>Goat > writes

>>>*And* it's vile.
>>
>>Yup. Nearly as bad as Rauchbier. Stick to the Weissbier or see if they
>>have Ebbelwoi[1] although that may be a strictly Frankfurt am Main
>>thing.
>
>It's not vile (neither is Rauchbier), it's just a bit different.

That's putting it mildly. Beer that tastes as if it's had a barbecue
emptied into it, charcoal and all is a little too different for my
palate. :-)
OTOH, I happily drink Gueuze. De gustibus non disputandum est and all
that, I spose.

> And
>it's normally so cold you can't taste it anyway. There's plenty of Pils
>available. Although I like Weissbier I'd prefer to mostly stick to the
>local brews if I was in Koeln. Ebbelwoi is a Frankfurt thing.

Thought as much. Wicked stuff, though. Ahh, happy memories...

>I'm going to Duesseldorf this weekend. Lots of Altbier! ;-)

Lovely stuff, that. Have a good time.
--
DG

Bah!

Michael MacClancy
July 23rd 03, 07:13 AM
In message >,
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX > writes
>>Are you going anywhere other than Cologne?
>
>Depends how we feel when we get there. We have an apartment booked there to use
>as a base, so we can cycle as much or as little as we wish. Depends on weather,
>mood...
>
>Cheers, helen s
>

>~~~~~~~~~~
>This is sent from a redundant email
>Mail sent to it is dumped
>My correct one can be gleaned from
>h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
>by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
>~~~~~~~~~~

The Ahrtal is very nice (look for Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler). There's a
cycling map available. The Bergisches Land is to the East of Cologne,
stretching from Bergisch Gladbach to Meinerzhagen and from Radevormwald
to Eitorf. Plenty of good cycling there too.
--
Michael MacClancy

Tony W
July 23rd 03, 07:39 AM
"Michael MacClancy" > wrote in message
..

> Crikey, traditional Rhineland competition between Duesseldorf (the
> biggest village in Germany) and Koeln has spread to u.r.c.

Well the NG's been a bit quiet recently.

> Did you live in Duesseldorf or somewhere close?

Lived in Erkrath, worked in Düsseldorf.

Michael MacClancy
July 23rd 03, 08:25 AM
In message >, Tony W
> writes
>
>"Michael MacClancy" > wrote in message
>.
>>
>> Crikey, traditional Rhineland competition between Duesseldorf (the
>> biggest village in Germany) and Koeln has spread to u.r.c.
>>

>Well the NG's been a bit quiet recently.
>
>> Did you live in Duesseldorf or somewhere close?
>
>Lived in Erkrath, worked in Düsseldorf.

We lived in Ratingen, where we're going this weekend. My own allegiance
is, of course, to Düsseldorf rather than Köln.
--
Michael MacClancy

Carol Hague
July 23rd 03, 09:08 AM
Dave Larrington > wrote:

> What Michael said. We rode from the rowing strip out at Dagenham-am-Rhein
> along the river to the city centre a couple of times in '97 and I didn't
> notice any horrid whiffy pongs. Better yet are the smells next to the
> chocolate museum...

Maybe it was the drains then, I dunno - I was there for several days for
a bike show a couple of years ago and I certainly noticed a horrid
whiffy pong, which got decidely worse the nearer I got to the river.
Obviously my experience is not typical though, so perhaps I was just
unlucky.

--
Carol Hague
"I used to be confused, but now I just don't know."

Dave Larrington
July 23rd 03, 10:12 AM
Michael MacClancy wrote:
> The Bergisches Land is to the East of Cologne,
> stretching from Bergisch Gladbach to Meinerzhagen and from
> Radevormwald
> to Eitorf. Plenty of good cycling there too.

Be careful of Bergisch Gladbach, though, as it is a hotbed of Dark Side
activity. One foot inside the door of Veloladen, and you're doomed ;-)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Rory
July 23rd 03, 11:54 AM
"Tony W" > wrote in message >...
> "Dave Larrington" > wrote in message
> >
> > > Oh, and the local beer in Cologne is called Koelsch and in pubs
> > > usually
> > > comes in stupid little 0.2 litre glasses.
> >
> > *And* it's vile.
>
> Whereas the alt bier from the *real* city just down river (Düsseldorf) is
> very good indeed. It also comes is silly little glassed but they are
> bottomless (i.e. continuously refilled/replaced).

Cologne's alright, BAP rules, but Düsseldorf is a bit sad, but as you
say, they keep the beer coming (esp in the Eurige - sp?). Mind you I
enjoyed it when the Toten Hösen (Dead Trousers) were playing support
for U2 in the Müngersdorfer stadion a few years ago, and opened with a
verison of MMWestenhagen's "Ich bin fruh das ich kein Dicker bin" (I'm
happy I'm not a fat git) - but with the lyrics "Ich bin fruh das ich
kein Kölner bin" (I'm happy I'm not from Cologne)

For real beer in fully korrect-sized glasses, you have to go to
Munich, and I'm going this weekend.

Dave Larrington
July 23rd 03, 11:57 AM
Rory wrote:

> Cologne's alright, BAP rules, but Düsseldorf is a bit sad, but as you
> say, they keep the beer coming (esp in the Eurige - sp?). Mind you I
> enjoyed it when the Toten Hösen (Dead Trousers) were playing support
> for U2 in the Müngersdorfer stadion a few years ago, and opened with a
> verison of MMWestenhagen's "Ich bin fruh das ich kein Dicker bin" (I'm
> happy I'm not a fat git) - but with the lyrics "Ich bin fruh das ich
> kein Kölner bin" (I'm happy I'm not from Cologne)

Was that the U2 tour where they had the bloody great yellow arch thingie, in
1997? If so, I bicycled past while they were setting it up...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home