PDA

View Full Version : Bikes on Trains

Simon Parker
July 21st 03, 08:29 PM
Hi,

After spending the last weekend admiring the scenary whilst working in
Scotland, I have decided to have a touring holiday up there next year (or
maybe this year if I get a move on..). I would certainly like to include a
ride round Loch Ness. Has anybody got any advice on taking my bike up there
on the train. I live in the Midlands (near Burton On Trent) and would like
to get to Inverness..

Many Thanks

Simon

RichardBarrett
July 21st 03, 09:49 PM
Myself and a friend did a similar trip this May.
Make sure you book up your bike reservation nice
and early on the local routes within Scotland
and also if you want to take the Sleeper to
Inverness (which is what we did). If you want to
use the Sleeper, then you need to keep on at
ScotRail - they've not got really geared-up to
book bikes. And is only space for 6x bikes on the
Sleeper, and for 2x on the Inverness-Kyle route.

But we had a great trip. Don't take a chance
with the bikes on the train - make reservations.

Richard

Simon Parker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After spending the last weekend admiring the scenary whilst working in
> Scotland, I have decided to have a touring holiday up there next year (or
> maybe this year if I get a move on..). I would certainly like to include a
> ride round Loch Ness. Has anybody got any advice on taking my bike up there
> on the train. I live in the Midlands (near Burton On Trent) and would like
> to get to Inverness..
>
> Many Thanks
>
> Simon

David Hansen
July 22nd 03, 09:04 AM
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 22:27:49 +0100 someone who may be Richard Bates
> wrote this:-

>If two of you travel then that
>means you get a double room each, therefore there is plenty of room
>for bikes.

I wouldn't want to put a cumbersome bike in a sleeper compartment,
even if it could be manoeuvred down the corridor and into the
compartment. Far better to put them in the van, despite the
stupidity of removing the main doors from the vans. Two Bromptons
fit in with no problem though I gather.

>My fiancee and I paid 200 quid each and got first class sleeper travel

I would have paid less and travelled in the same compartment. They
have single bunks for anyone who is concerned about propriety. I
imagine any hanky panky would be rather uncomfortable in one of the
bunks. I must give it a try sometime just to check:-)

prevents me using the RIP Act 2000.

Ewan
July 22nd 03, 01:20 PM
Simon Parker wrote:

> After spending the last weekend admiring the scenary whilst working in
> Scotland, I have decided to have a touring holiday up there next year (or
> maybe this year if I get a move on..). I would certainly like to include a
> ride round Loch Ness. Has anybody got any advice on taking my bike up there
> on the train. I live in the Midlands (near Burton On Trent) and would like
> to get to Inverness..

A number of options.

ScotRail day time service from Edinburgh or Glasgow - a train north of
Perth every 2 hours or less. Limited to 2 bikes per Turbostar or Express
unit - hopefully they'll be doubled up over the summer, but don't count
on it.

ScotRail Caledonian Sleeper from London Euston with some pickups on the
WCML. Can carry 6 bikes comfortably in the gaurds van.

GNER - 1 train per day from London up the ECML. Space for about 6 bikes
again, plus far more comfortable than a ScotRail Turbostar, and a proper
buffet :)

You could always go to Fort William though. Again, there's the
Caledonian Sleeper (same train from London as the Inverness one, but
they split at Waverley) or there's three trains per day from Glasgow QS.
These have space for 6 bikes (or even 12 depending on the number of
coaches and whether the gaurd has given some of the bike space over to
luggage or not). Far prettier route as well IMHO. Then use the Great
Glen Cycle Route up to Inverness and then back down the other side of
Loch Ness.

Always make reservations though.

Some useful websites:
http://www.scotrail.co.uk/
http://www.gner.co.uk/
http://www.thetrainline.com/

Regards, Ewan

--
Latest photo collection added 17-July-03:
http://photos.eatnet.org.uk

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home