PDA

View Full Version : Re: Knocked off by a badger

Gary Knighton
July 22nd 03, 12:05 PM
On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 11:59:22 +0000, contributor Marc had scribed:
> A number of years ago I rolled a Mini on a mountain side, avoiding a
> sheep. Six weeks later I plucked up enough courage to drive the same
> road again, in a much bigger car. This time a sheep fell off the
> mountain in front of me and I ran it over and dragged it tens of yards
> whilst stopping! As I sat there shaking , there was a whirring of gears
> and about 20 cyclists went past , slipping and sliding over the
> intestines of the late unlamented sheep, they were on mountain bikes!

I've been on a train that hit a sheep. It was the old type of diesel
unit where there was a glass screen behind the driver. Not matter how
much the driver sounded the horn the sheep simply ran away, and not
sideways, until inevitable happened. Sheep was a write off, the train
was OK.

Back on topic of animals on the road. In the Outer Hebrides going back
to the B&B after an evening meal at local pub (5 miles away by road, 1/2
mile away on the ground/water), we encountered a load of spots at wheel
height in the vicinity of the roadway ahead, which turned out to be
reflections from sheep's eyes. Before we knew it we were herding sheep
away from the road with our front lights.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes
only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an
underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Gary Knighton
July 22nd 03, 12:05 PM
On 16 Jun 2003 03:29:30 -0700, contributor Peter had scribed:
> No, definitely not a case of me hitting the badger, I would have gone
> over the bars if that had been the case. The badger ran straight at me
> from the side and knocked the front wheel out from under me.

I've known cats to have done that and succeed without dismounting rider
or damaging cat, scary when it happens though.

Gary

--

The email address is for newsgroups purposes
only and therefore unlikely to be read.

For contact via email use my real name with an
underscore separator at the domain of CompuServe.

Victor Meldrew
July 22nd 03, 11:59 PM
In article >, Gary Knighton
> writes
>On 16 Jun 2003 03:29:30 -0700, contributor Peter had scribed:
>> No, definitely not a case of me hitting the badger, I would have gone
>> over the bars if that had been the case. The badger ran straight at me
>> from the side and knocked the front wheel out from under me.
>>

>I've known cats to have done that and succeed without dismounting rider
>or damaging cat, scary when it happens though.

I had a similar encounter with a hare. Luckily it was the side of my
thigh it collided with as it made the split second decision to try to
jump over me. I say luckily because it was unhurt and I just about
managed to stay upright. I had a massive bruise for weeks though!
--
Victor Meldrew

Remove bra to reply by e-mail.

Colin Blackburn
July 23rd 03, 09:29 AM
In article >,
says...
> In article >, Gary Knighton
> > writes
> >On 16 Jun 2003 03:29:30 -0700, contributor Peter had scribed:
> >> No, definitely not a case of me hitting the badger, I would have gone
> >> over the bars if that had been the case. The badger ran straight at me
> >> from the side and knocked the front wheel out from under me.
> >>

> >I've known cats to have done that and succeed without dismounting rider
> >or damaging cat, scary when it happens though.
> >
> I had a similar encounter with a hare. Luckily it was the side of my
> thigh it collided with as it made the split second decision to try to
> jump over me. I say luckily because it was unhurt and I just about
> managed to stay upright. I had a massive bruise for weeks though!

Not surprising, they are big animals. I was looking at one in the road
today and at first we thought it was a deer or a dog until it moved.

Colin

ChrisW
July 24th 03, 12:43 AM
Gary Knighton wrote:
> On 16 Jun 2003 03:29:30 -0700, contributor Peter had scribed:
> > No, definitely not a case of me hitting the badger, I would have gone
> > over the bars if that had been the case. The badger ran straight at me
> > from the side and knocked the front wheel out from under me.
> >
> I've known cats to have done that and succeed without dismounting rider
> or damaging cat, scary when it happens though.
> Gary
> --
> The email address is for newsgroups purposes only and therefore unlikely
> to be read.
> For contact via email use my real name with an underscore separator at
> the domain of CompuServe.

Cats seem to have very bad judgement. My daily journey goes through a
green space at the back of houses, where all the neighbourhood cats like
to sit on the verge looking for something to murder. When a bike
approaches they tense up and look worried, then at the last moment they
dash across in front of you.

Now I know they bounce off I'll maybe stop jamming on the brakes.

Chris

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home