PDA

View Full Version : GPS for cycling

Doesnotcompute
July 22nd 03, 12:56 PM
Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?

If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
unit again?

--
Dnc

Tony W
July 22nd 03, 12:59 PM
"Doesnotcompute" > wrote in message
> Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?
>
> If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
> unit again?

When touring.

A bog standard e-trex with some mapping software for route planning etc.

It works. It does everything I want except make tea. If money were no
object I might go for a swizzier model but maybe not.

elyob
July 22nd 03, 02:18 PM
"Tony W" > wrote in message

> "Doesnotcompute" > wrote in message
> > Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?
> >
> > If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
> > unit again?
>
> When touring.
>
> A bog standard e-trex with some mapping software for route planning etc.
>
> It works. It does everything I want except make tea. If money were no
> object I might go for a swizzier model but maybe not.

How good is the mapping software? I'm looking for something that can record
my route as well as tell me where I am supposed to be.

Thanks

Nick

Tony W
July 22nd 03, 02:36 PM
"elyob" > wrote in message

> How good is the mapping software? I'm looking for something that can
record
> my route as well as tell me where I am supposed to be.

I have Mapsource -- worldwide edition -- because I wanted it to plan and map
a tour in India -- so its pretty damn course. In this country it is pretty
much main roads only.

I don't know how good the UK or Europe versions are.

There are some OS based systems that are not many more condoles and give you
OS level mapping -- which might be preferable.

Steve Peake
July 22nd 03, 03:49 PM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:56:22 +0100, Doesnotcompute wrote:

> Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?
>
> If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
> unit again?

No great answer, but this question has come up in alt.mountain-bike
recently, so its wise to deja there if you havn't already.

Also read alt.satellite.gps and sci.geo.satellite-nav if you don't already.

Steve

Doesnotcompute
July 22nd 03, 04:39 PM
Steve Peake wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:56:22 +0100, Doesnotcompute wrote:
>

>>Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?
>>
>>If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
>>unit again?
>

> No great answer, but this question has come up in alt.mountain-bike
> recently, so its wise to deja there if you havn't already.

Deja? Does that still exist? I think I'll google for it instead ;)

> Also read alt.satellite.gps and sci.geo.satellite-nav if you don't already.

The former but not the latter - thanks for the tips
--
Dnc

July 22nd 03, 05:27 PM
Doesnotcompute wrote:
> Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?
>
> If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
> unit again?

I use a eTrex - its about 3 years old now so has probably been superceeded.

I had a bike mount for ages, and was using it with normal paper maps.
Which is fine but not much of an advancement over just using the map.

I recently bought some Mapping software including OS 1:50000 maps -
which allows you to draw a route on the map on the PC, and then download
it to the GPS. The GPS then shows you what way to go - this made it much
more useful (imho) as it means you don't have to stop and consult a map
nearly so often (maybe more useful when off-roading).

(I use fugawi-uk software - but I expect any other software based on the
same maps will work just as well).

John

elyob
July 22nd 03, 05:33 PM
"Doesnotcompute" > wrote in message
> Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?
>
> If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
> unit again?

Now you got me looking at them again ... Vista looks good. Prices are
ridiculous though. £187 in the states and £272 here for the same thing,
except basemap is US. You can always buy a metroguide afterwards.

elyob
July 24th 03, 01:23 PM
"Doesnotcompute" > wrote in message
> Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?
>
> If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
> unit again?

Did you get much help on the GPS? I was sent a few emails letting me know
where to try for a UK etrex vista at a decent price.

Doesnotcompute
July 24th 03, 01:32 PM
elyob wrote:

> "Doesnotcompute" > wrote in message
>
>>Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?
>>
>>If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
>>unit again?
>>

> Did you get much help on the GPS? I was sent a few emails letting me know
> where to try for a UK etrex vista at a decent price.

I established that it's a complete minefield of a topic, that you can't
have enough money, that you don't need a mapping unit to do maps (?).

I think the Sportrak Pro would be best for me, but I haven't got that
amount of "toy fund" available yet. However that is an opinion based on
having not handled any GPS units at all. So perhaps I should start there.

--
Dnc

elyob
July 24th 03, 03:53 PM
> start bolting
> electronics on and its a rocky road (e.g.
> http://www.billcotton.com/tripmate.htm)

Check out the 2nd to last photo .... :)

Peter Wallace
August 1st 03, 06:37 PM
"Doesnotcompute" > wrote in message
> Do any of you use GPS equipment whilst cycling?
>
> If so what do you use, how do you find it and would you buy the same
> unit again?
>
> --
> Dnc

Sorry. Late in on this.

I've been using GPS for mountain biking for 3 years. It's superb and it
just got better thanks to Tracklogs new digital mapping.
www.tracklogs.co.uk They are bikers, nice people and sell all the kit
and all the mapping as cheaply as anybody. I use an eTrex Venture and
Tracklogs digital mapping

Basic use is plan the route in the PC at home, drop it in the GPS, put
the GPS on the handlebars and follow the screen. No more fumbling with
maps and scratching heads at junctions.

Peter

elyob
August 2nd 03, 02:07 AM
"Peter Wallace" > wrote in message

> Sorry. Late in on this.
>
> I've been using GPS for mountain biking for 3 years. It's superb and it
> just got better thanks to Tracklogs new digital mapping.
> www.tracklogs.co.uk They are bikers, nice people and sell all the kit
> and all the mapping as cheaply as anybody. I use an eTrex Venture and
> Tracklogs digital mapping
>
> Basic use is plan the route in the PC at home, drop it in the GPS, put
> the GPS on the handlebars and follow the screen. No more fumbling with
> maps and scratching heads at junctions.

How far do you cycle .. ? I'm not sure whether a GPS is a gimick (which I
love), or a useful tool. I just got a heart rate monitor .. a couple of
times and I've figured out what 190bpm feels like ... I already knew .. it's
bloody hard work .. :)

I'm sweating far too much to look at the monitor, but it does tell me when I
hit 135, and it's time to push harder .. shaved 7 minutes off my 1 hour ride
in the last week .... :) Well, it's 53m53' ... so 54m really ..... Still

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home