PDA

View Full Version : Tyre size, road bike

Rory
July 22nd 03, 03:58 PM
What would be a good size of rim/tyre for a road bike, that would be
reasonably competative (light, low rolling resistance) yet stand up to
the sort of crap roads that are out there?
Main usage is training (got heavy 28mm on them at the momement for
general training) and a Randonnee at the end of September.
thanks...

Peter B
July 22nd 03, 08:09 PM
"Rory" > wrote in message
om...
> What would be a good size of rim/tyre for a road bike, that would be
> reasonably competative (light, low rolling resistance) yet stand up to
> the sort of crap roads that are out there?

Out where in particular?

Out where I live I am mostly using 23mm and mostly have for along time, and
that be with only 24 spokes up front followed by 28 at the back and I weighs
82kg.
And I am mostly riding on country lanes with rough surfaces and cattle
grids, in fact show me a stretch of tarmac that's flat, smooth and long and
I be off over the hills on my mtb as fast as me old legs'll go :-)

Pete

Rory
July 23rd 03, 10:50 AM
"Peter B" > wrote in message >...
> "Rory" > wrote in message
> om...
> > What would be a good size of rim/tyre for a road bike, that would be
> > reasonably competative (light, low rolling resistance) yet stand up to
> > the sort of crap roads that are out there?
>
> Out where in particular?
>
> Out where I live I am mostly using 23mm and mostly have for along time, and
> that be with only 24 spokes up front followed by 28 at the back and I weighs
> 82kg.
> And I am mostly riding on country lanes with rough surfaces and cattle
> grids, in fact show me a stretch of tarmac that's flat, smooth and long and
> I be off over the hills on my mtb as fast as me old legs'll go :-)

Thanks Pete, "here" is Luxembourg, and the roads I ride sound much
like yours. I think I might go for the 23mm then - I was worried it
might be a bit flimsy, LBS has some Shimano Ultegras for Euro 220 inc.
9-speed cassette which seems a good bargain.

Peter B
July 23rd 03, 05:30 PM
"Michael MacClancy" > wrote in message
> An article in last month's Tour magazine concluded that 25mm tyres are
> better than 23mm. Less rolling resistance (at same pressure), more
> comfort and better puncture resistance. The Continental Grand Prix
> 4-Season only weigh 216g and got the top rating for puncture resistance.

Worth knowing, I might give them a try when the present pair need replacing.

Pete

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home