PDA

View Full Version : Re: [OT] IDS on congestion

AndyMorris
July 22nd 03, 11:36 PM
Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Easy to write it all off as cynical vote-grubbing but the Daily Mail
> will actually believe his guff and print it as if it were in some way
> accurate or relevant :-(

isn't it the other way round? IDS actually belives what he reads in the
smelly little arse wipe.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

James Hodson
July 23rd 03, 03:42 AM
On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 23:36:45 +0100, "AndyMorris"
> wrote:

>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>>
>> Easy to write it all off as cynical vote-grubbing but the Daily Mail
>> will actually believe his guff and print it as if it were in some way
>> accurate or relevant :-(
>
>isn't it the other way round? IDS actually belives what he reads in the
>smelly little arse wipe.

Comparing the relative politeness of the liberal left and others is
quite interesting.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 23rd 03, 08:49 AM
"James Hodson" > wrote in message

> Comparing the relative politeness of the liberal left and others is
> quite interesting.

So you'd rather see the powerful backed by the polite than the underdog
supported by the impolite, eh ;-)

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Arthur Clune
July 23rd 03, 10:05 AM
Just zis Guy, you know? > wrote:

: A choice quote:

: "Mr Duncan Smith blamed the "collapse" of road building in the UK for the
: increase in traffic congestion. "

And the one I really liked (not), but which I can't find again, said something
to the effect of "all we'll justify all this by stopping doing those
pesky multi-modal studies".

As for your subject line Guy, if only this was off-topic.

Arthur

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 23rd 03, 01:56 PM
"Arthur Clune" > wrote in message
> Just zis Guy, you know? > wrote:

> And the one I really liked (not), but which I can't find again, said
something
> to the effect of "all we'll justify all this by stopping doing those
> pesky multi-modal studies".

It could be worse - just.

"A house subcommittee has voted to cut all funding for bike paths and other
pollution-free transportation programs."

http://www.salon.com/tech/feature/2003/07/22/bike_paths/index.html

This has nothing to do with the White House being a wholly owned subsidiary
of Big Oil of course.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

James Hodson
July 23rd 03, 10:42 PM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 08:49:45 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> wrote:

>> Comparing the relative politeness of the liberal left and others is
>> quite interesting.
>
>So you'd rather see the powerful backed by the polite than the underdog
>supported by the impolite, eh ;-)

OK. "Politeness" was the wrong word to use. Maybe "superior cycnicism"
was more correct. I often spend 30 minutes or so searching for the
word or phrase I want - normaly without luck - but that's my own
problem. I do seriously have trouble in writing both mails and NG
posts. Indeed, I didn't sleep last night as I was concerned about the
words I'd used. I realise you are able to write lucidly. (Lucky
so-and-so.) I'm not.

Look at it this way, Guy, how often have you read about or heard of a
slightly less left wing liberal person refer to the Guardian, Observer
or similar rags as a "smelly little arse wipe", to use Andy's words?

Please do feel free to emulate Polly Toynbee's sneering manner if you
wish. IMO, it doesn't become you.

Incidentally, also IMO, the pro-Europe bunch speak similarly to the
liberal left.

I don't have any objection at all about your or their actual policies.
However, I do find the way those policies are put across to be more
than a little impolite - sorry, superior and cynical.

End of right wing rant.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 24th 03, 12:51 PM
"James Hodson" > wrote in message

> >> Comparing the relative politeness of the liberal left and others is
> >> quite interesting.

> OK. "Politeness" was the wrong word to use. Maybe "superior cycnicism"
> was more correct.

Oh no, for the Real Deal un superior cynicism you need an old-guard Tory.

> I realise you are able to write lucidly. (Lucky
> so-and-so.) I'm not.

Impossible - I are an injuneer ;-)

> Look at it this way, Guy, how often have you read about or heard of a
> slightly less left wing liberal person refer to the Guardian, Observer
> or similar rags as a "smelly little arse wipe", to use Andy's words?

The Grauniad bends so far backwards to be fair that it limbo dances under
its own legs, though. The Mail is really quite unpleasant, especially to
people it dislikes - asylum seekers, lefties, "scroungers" and so on. At
least the Grauniad only puts the boot into the likes of Aitken. Anyway, I
don't read the Grauniad either except at airports. I read Private Eye,
which is an equal opportunities offender :-)

> I don't have any objection at all about your or their actual policies.
> However, I do find the way those policies are put across to be more
> than a little impolite - sorry, superior and cynical.

Cynical is a word best defined by example. The perfect example of "cynical"
for me was the handling of the Scott report. That's the primary reason why
no Tory candiate will ever have my vote until every Tory MP then sitting has
left the party.

Phony Tony does Bad Stuff too. But I don't vote for his lot either.

Now chill and watch this:
http://www.rathergood.co.uk/default.asp?nc=6281&id=45

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

James Hodson
July 24th 03, 08:12 PM
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 12:51:24 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
> wrote:

>Oh no, for the Real Deal un superior cynicism you need an old-guard Tory.

How about a genetic mix of Nicholas Soames and Boris J (just for the
laughs) with Maggie as a rather old surrogate mother and Norman
Tebbitt the provider of the "emptied out" cell?

>I read Private Eye, which is an equal opportunities offender :-)

Equally nasty to all. Equally funny to all others.

>Cynical is a word best defined by example. The perfect example of "cynical"
>for me was the handling of the Scott report. That's the primary reason why
>no Tory candiate will ever have my vote until every Tory MP then sitting has
>left the party.

100% in agreement with the Scott comment. I'd forgotten about that
one. Sleaze: Taught by the Tories, learnt by Labour.

>Now chill and watch this:
>http://www.rathergood.co.uk/default.asp?nc=6281&id=45

LOL OK, Guy, I'm chilled. At the first viewing I thought the video was
a Bush/Blair party political broadcast. Maybe it is.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg

Google