PDA

View Full Version : Re: Metal Mickey

W K
July 23rd 03, 04:15 PM
"Colin Blackburn" > wrote in message
news:MPG.1988b5c13b5a0131989b41@localhost...

> Perhaps we need strategically placed metal cyclists?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/3089045.stm

quote:
"Graffiti a possibility, but we won't mind a moustache or two. "

Oh aye, you'll be lucky.

Graeme
July 23rd 03, 06:30 PM
Colin Blackburn > wrote in

> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/3089045.stm

From the article:

"The money for the bollards comes from a government regeneration fund that
is also paying for a new drop off area outside the school."

A new drop off area? Nice to see the government encouraging the couch
potato attitudes of parents and children isn't it? :-/ What's wrong with
walking, most of the kids will be within walking distance.

Graeme

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 23rd 03, 06:49 PM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:15:42 +0000 (UTC), "W K" >
wrote:

>"Graffiti a possibility, but we won't mind a moustache or two. "

Do they mean us?

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 23rd 03, 10:04 PM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:51:02 +0100, "Danny Colyer"
> wrote:

>Less so round here, where the council has just changed the local
>catchment boundaries so that children who live 200 yards from the
>Kingsfield School will fall outside the catchment area and will instead
>have to cross the A420 twice, walking past the school in question, to go
>to a school which is apparently not as good.

That's so that councillors who live two miles away and far closer to
another (also less good) school can be in catchment. They've been to
Reading to see how it's done.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 23rd 03, 10:04 PM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 20:51:35 -0000, Graeme
> wrote:

>You kind of wonder what goes on in the minds of the people who work out
>these boundaries.

"My house will be worth another ten grand if it's in catchment -
where's that pencil?"

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

Colin Blackburn
July 24th 03, 09:11 AM
In article >,
says...

> I remember yonks ago seeing a programme (I think it was one of the
> Johnny Ball series) where they used bubbles to determine the shortest
> route between four different cities. Apparently this is a genuine road
> planning method.

Ah well, now you are talking 3-dimensional Voronoi tessellations! I can
imagine they might use a 2D Voronoi tessellation or its inverse the
Delauney triangulation but the 3D stuff is probably better on telly.

Colin

Graeme
July 24th 03, 09:15 AM
Colin Blackburn > wrote in

> Ah well, now you are talking 3-dimensional Voronoi tessellations!

Oh yeah, that was it, the name was on the tip of my tongue, honest ;-)

Have fun!

Graeme

AndyK
July 24th 03, 07:43 PM
> Perhaps we need strategically placed metal cyclists?
>
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/nottinghamshire/3089045.stm
>
> Colin

How long before the local Baseballcaps start using them as target practice?

Danny Colyer
July 24th 03, 07:48 PM
John's Cat wrote:
> It's a bit more complicated because the demographics of areas of
> housing tend to change with time. So, new estate tends to have lots
> of young families and a school. After a few years, young families are
> all grown up so the catchment area grows to keep the school numbers
> up.

That's almost, but not quite, what's happened here.

New housing a couple of miles round the ring road houses a lot of young
families, and there isn't a school closer.

However, the older housing also houses a lot of young families, whose
children will now be unable to go to the nearest school. To expect
children who live 200 yards from a perfectly good school to go to a
school a few miles away is ludicrous.

The real irony is that not so long ago one of the schools was threatened
with closure, due to declining student numbers IIRC. I can't remember
which one, and I've recycled the paper with that story in it.

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny )
Recumbent cycle page: http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/

Google