PDA

View Full Version : Frame resprays

Alex Graham
July 23rd 03, 09:37 PM
Im considering buying a nice 531 Geoffrey Butler racing bike, but at
some point someone has sanded the decals off the downtube for whatever
reason. As you can imagine it looks a bit of a mess. They left the head
tube sticker and the 531 sticker on the frame and forks on though.
Incidentally, the fork crowns are stamped 'Reynolds'. I've never seen
that before, anyone know anything about that?

So what do people recommend? I gather I can get a really proffessional
job done at Bob Jackson for 50 quid, but as thats half the price of the
bike I'd be reluctant to do that.

Are there cheaper places about, or can I do it myself? I thought it
would probably look a bit of a mess if I just use normal spray paint....

Any suggestions / pointers would be gratefully accepted :)

cheers,
--
-Alex

----------------------------------

www.westerleycycling.org.uk
http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php
----------------------------------

Jim Price
July 23rd 03, 11:27 PM
Alex Graham wrote:

> Im considering buying a nice 531 Geoffrey Butler racing bike, but at
> some point someone has sanded the decals off the downtube for whatever
> reason. As you can imagine it looks a bit of a mess. They left the head
> tube sticker and the 531 sticker on the frame and forks on though.
> Incidentally, the fork crowns are stamped 'Reynolds'. I've never seen
> that before, anyone know anything about that?
>
> So what do people recommend? I gather I can get a really proffessional
> job done at Bob Jackson for 50 quid, but as thats half the price of the
> bike I'd be reluctant to do that.

50 quid sounds like good value to me. The cheapest I know of who do a
good job is 60 quid.

> Are there cheaper places about, or can I do it myself? I thought it
> would probably look a bit of a mess if I just use normal spray paint....

Not as much of a mess as the stealth bike I've been painting today -
brush painted black hammerite for that "no point in stealing me" look.

> Any suggestions / pointers would be gratefully accepted :)

If you want it to look good, its either practice yourself for ages or
get a professional to do it. If you're considering buying it, consider
negotiating with the seller to knock some money off or ask them to sort
it before they sell it to you, unless it really is a steal of a bargain.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

chris French
July 23rd 03, 11:30 PM
In message >, Alex Graham
> writes
>Im considering buying a nice 531 Geoffrey Butler racing bike, but at
>some point someone has sanded the decals off the downtube for whatever
>reason. As you can imagine it looks a bit of a mess.

>So what do people recommend? I gather I can get a really proffessional
>job done at Bob Jackson for 50 quid, but as thats half the price of the
>bike I'd be reluctant to do that.
>
>Are there cheaper places about,

Probably not much cheaper for stove enamelling, AIUI, powder coating is
cheaper.

>or can I do it myself? I thought it would probably look a bit of a mess
>if I just use normal spray paint....

You can do it yourself, and get a good job, I did it about 15 years ago.
I painted it standard car aerosol paints.

I stripped the frame with paint stripper, then standard painting
techniques, primer, couple of coats of undercoat, a few coats of top
coat - rub down gently between each coat with very fine wet n' dry or
very fine wire wool and wipe down..

It did look very good, but the finish isn't that hard wearing so it did
chip soon and more than professional refinishing.
--
Chris French, Leeds

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home