PDA

View Full Version : Do I buy clips

Andrew Johnson
July 23rd 03, 10:35 PM
All,
I've recently started to commute to work - journey around 14 miles and I've
observed that some riders have shoes that clip in.

Admittedly I'm not the fastest rider but I've been told by a fellow commuter
that they are worth getting - any advice?

If so, can anyone recommend which combination of pedals and shoes to buy
upto a maximum of £60.

Any help is appreciated.

Andy

Adrian Boliston
July 23rd 03, 11:14 PM
"Andrew Johnson" > wrote in message

> I've recently started to commute to work - journey around 14 miles and
I've
> observed that some riders have shoes that clip in.
>
> Admittedly I'm not the fastest rider but I've been told by a fellow
commuter
> that they are worth getting - any advice?
>
> If so, can anyone recommend which combination of pedals and shoes to buy
> upto a maximum of £60.

I've always just used my work shoes to commute in, but I would certainly not
be without my toeclips. My commuting bike had clips fitted as standard, but
they are only a tenner or so for a pair of clips that screw onto the pedals,
and they are worth that money for the safety aspect alone - less risk of
slipping off the pedals.

MarkK
July 23rd 03, 11:42 PM
"Andrew Johnson" > wrote in message
> All,
> I've recently started to commute to work - journey around 14 miles and
I've
> observed that some riders have shoes that clip in.
>
> Admittedly I'm not the fastest rider but I've been told by a fellow
commuter
> that they are worth getting - any advice?

I got some recently and they do allow you to pedal a little more
efficiently - worthwhile if you're doing 28 miles a day. As they let you
pull the pedal back and up you'll be using muscles that aren't used to it,
so you won't see an immediate benefit. Make sure you practice unclipping,
and ensure they're adjusted loose rather than tight initially. Most people
fall over or nearly do so after changing over. I haven't done so yet, but
I've had a few close shaves.

> If so, can anyone recommend which combination of pedals and shoes to buy
> upto a maximum of £60.

I got my cheapo combination from http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk : Shimano M020
shoes and PDM515 pedals. You do need to try the shoes on, though, before you
buy. I normally take size 42, but I needed size 43 M020s, as 42s were too
tight. Maybe they'll let you order 2 or 3 pairs and let you send the ones
that don't fit back.

> Any help is appreciated.

Let us know how you get on.

Mark

Mike Quin
July 24th 03, 12:16 AM
"Andrew Johnson" > writes:

> I've recently started to commute to work - journey around 14 miles and I've
> observed that some riders have shoes that clip in.
>
> Admittedly I'm not the fastest rider but I've been told by a fellow commuter
> that they are worth getting - any advice?

I use Shimano M-324 pedals which have a clipless binding on one side
and a regualr metal cage on the other which allows them to be used
with regualr shoes, and Shimano MO20 cycling shoes which are shimano's
"entry level" offering. If I recall correctly both the pedals and the
shoes were in the 30-40 pounsd range.

As an all-weather commuter I see the biggest advantage of using
clipless pedals and shoes being the solid attachment to the pedal when
riding - you don't have the problem of your feet slipping off wet
pedals as you do with flat pedals or traditional clips.

--
Mike Quin > :: Do you want to save before you quit? ::

Giles Paterson
July 24th 03, 10:37 AM
MarkK wrote:

> I got my cheapo combination from http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk : Shimano M020
> shoes and PDM515 pedals. You do need to try the shoes on, though, before you
> buy. I normally take size 42, but I needed size 43 M020s, as 42s were too
> tight. Maybe they'll let you order 2 or 3 pairs and let you send the ones
> that don't fit back.

I can heartily recommend cyclexpress as I just bought a pair of PDM515s
and a pair of Shimano MO37s from them. Of course, not knowing that
Shimano have a strange sense of shoe sizes, I got the wrong size. I
posted them back to cyclexpress on Friday afternoon, and received the
replacements by courier on Tuesday morning.

If buying Shimano shoes, get a size larger than you think you will need.

--
Giles Paterson

[to reply, replace nospam with my first name]

Ningi
July 24th 03, 02:07 PM
Andrew Johnson wrote:
> All,
> I've recently started to commute to work - journey around 14 miles and I've
> observed that some riders have shoes that clip in.
>
> Admittedly I'm not the fastest rider but I've been told by a fellow commuter
> that they are worth getting - any advice?
>
> If so, can anyone recommend which combination of pedals and shoes to buy
> upto a maximum of £60.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Andy

I'm definitely not a fast rider, currently trying to move from
veryfatblokeonabike to merely fatblokeonabike. I went to SPD pedals
after trying them while cycling abroad.

I found it's much easier on my knees. I really wouldn't want to be
without them now.

I think I paid a little more than £60 for my shoes and pedals while in
the USA, but not a huge amount.

Pete

Thomas
July 24th 03, 08:17 PM
"Andrew Johnson" > wrote in message
> All,
> I've recently started to commute to work - journey around 14 miles and
I've
> observed that some riders have shoes that clip in.
>
> Admittedly I'm not the fastest rider but I've been told by a fellow
commuter
> that they are worth getting - any advice?
>
> If so, can anyone recommend which combination of pedals and shoes to buy
> upto a maximum of £60.
>
> Any help is appreciated.
>
> Andy

Hi Andy,

I bought Shimano M545's about a month ago and, so far, absolutely love them!
I've embarrassed myself a couple of times falling off when I've come to a
stop, but now, I love 'em.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/viewproduct.asp?category=Pedals+Clipless&ModelID=771

I bought the 545's because you can use them with regular shoes as well as
SPDs, although you *really* notice how much extra effort it takes when
you're not clipped in :-)

Thomas.

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home