PDA

View Full Version : Fibrillation

dannyfrankszzz
July 24th 03, 12:41 AM
I'm hoping to go touring through the Alps this summer on my bike.

I got the following reply to a posting I made,

"Listen, bro. Don't want to pour cold water on your plans, but have you
checked out the "hills" you're planning on riding up?! Best you get GOOD
health insurance and a light weight defibrilator would be a necessity."

Have I got anything to worry about? Are the Alps really that
gruelling? I would have thought that if you take it slowly, then there
won't be a problem.

Marc
July 24th 03, 03:19 AM
dannyfrankszzz > wrote:

> I'm hoping to go touring through the Alps this summer on my bike.
>
> I got the following reply to a posting I made,
>
> "Listen, bro. Don't want to pour cold water on your plans, but have you
> checked out the "hills" you're planning on riding up?! Best you get GOOD
> health insurance and a light weight defibrilator would be a necessity."
>
> Have I got anything to worry about? Are the Alps really that
> gruelling? I would have thought that if you take it slowly, then there
> won't be a problem.

Fibrillation! The screen printers nightmare!

I would suggest that if you use a good screen printer, fibrillation
(where the fibres of a jersey poke through the printed surface) woudn't
be a great problem unless you wash at over 60 degrees C!

MSeries
July 24th 03, 08:12 AM
The Apls are doable but the fitter you are the more you'll enjoy them.
Sure some of the hills are long, some are steep, some are long with
steep bits. If you have low enough gears and don't be silly you'll be
OK. I am not a particularly good climber but I have done most most of
the big cols[1] and mountains on 39x24 and included them in 80 mile
rides.

dannyfrankszzz > wrote in message >...
> I'm hoping to go touring through the Alps this summer on my bike.
>
> I got the following reply to a posting I made,
>
> "Listen, bro. Don't want to pour cold water on your plans, but have you
> checked out the "hills" you're planning on riding up?! Best you get GOOD
> health insurance and a light weight defibrilator would be a necessity."
>
> Have I got anything to worry about? Are the Alps really that
> gruelling? I would have thought that if you take it slowly, then there
> won't be a problem.

Just zis Guy, you know?
July 24th 03, 09:18 AM
"dannyfrankszzz" > wrote in message

> "Listen, bro. Don't want to pour cold water on your plans, but have you
> checked out the "hills" you're planning on riding up?! Best you get GOOD
> health insurance and a light weight defibrilator would be a necessity."

Absolutely. And you should also get a doctor to operate it, a support team,
a mechanic, an SUV to carry them all, and pay someone like Mr Armstrong to
do the riding lest you tax yourself.

This advice wouldn't have come from a 'merkin would it?

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Dave Larrington
July 24th 03, 10:36 AM
Yes, Alps are hard work, especially if, like me, you arrive at them way
overloaded with camping gear and way underloaded with common sense.

No, they are not impossible. Other people's ideas of what may constitute
"sensible" gears may differ radically from mine, but compared with the
BRITONS' hills, Alps are not often that steep. They *do* tend to go on for
a while, though. And do not forget that they're a long way south and thus
can get bloody warm. Drink plenty, and watch out for mad Italians riding in
packs...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Chris Gerhard
July 24th 03, 10:44 AM
dannyfrankszzz wrote:
> I'm hoping to go touring through the Alps this summer on my bike.
>
> I got the following reply to a posting I made,
>
> "Listen, bro. Don't want to pour cold water on your plans, but have you
> checked out the "hills" you're planning on riding up?! Best you get GOOD
> health insurance and a light weight defibrilator would be a necessity."
>
> Have I got anything to worry about? Are the Alps really that
> gruelling? I would have thought that if you take it slowly, then there
> won't be a problem.

You have nothing to worry about if you are moderately fit. Get your bike
and bits to be as light as possible to save effort on the way up and your
brakes on the way down. Be prepared for it to be cold coming down; even in
summer. It can take many hours to climb the bigger cols but they can all be
done without needing to be Lance.

Go for it, you won't regret it, well, I never have.

> --

Chris dot Gerhard at btclick dot com.

Kenneth Clements
July 24th 03, 09:57 PM
"dannyfrankszzz" > wrote in message
> I'm hoping to go touring through the Alps this summer on my bike.

If you're fit go for it. I toured in the Alps last year and the Pyreneees
this year.
The sense of achievement at the tops of the climbs is what keeps me
climbing.

Good luck,
Ken.

Google