PDA

View Full Version : Re: Brompton v-brakes

Houckster
July 24th 03, 06:41 AM
I have V-Brakes on my touring bike and I can assure you they were the
very devil to get working properly. My touring frame is a Cannondale and
I am not sure if there is anything technically different between these
frames like cable routing, bosses, whatever. My answer also assumes a
standard road handlebar rather than a ATB bar. I have also not worked
with a mini V-brake but I don't think there is a huge material
difference between them and the one I use. I could be wrong.

It is a pity that really good cantilever brakes are difficult to find
these days because the V-brakes are not that much better than a
cantilever brakes.

That said, here are the problems I had with the brakes I installed
(Shimano XTR):

1) The springs on the brakes themselves are much weaker than a road
bike requires. The ATB type brake levers compensate by having a much
stronger spring to retract the cable. Road bike lever have a weak
one or none at all. Even after bending the springs to increase the
tension, the brake pads would not come off the rim. I had to mount a
spring along the cable between the arms to get pads off the rim. I
got the spring and some rubber washers that separate the spring from
the arms at a hardware store. The length of the spring should exceed
the distance between the ends of the V-brake arms by a quarter of an
inch or so.

2) Cable retraction required for a road bike brake is much less than for
V-brakes so a road lever optimized for V-Brakes is made by Dia-Compe.
Fortunately, it is a good comfortable lever. Note, however, that
you're probably not home yet. When I installed the lever, braking was
OK but not good and the levers bottomed out easily. Unfortunately it
was also necessary to install one of those devices that doubles the
amount of cable retracted for a given amount of lever movement. They
are called "cable-doublers" around here before installation and quite
a few other names during and after installation.

The result of all my efforts is a brake that works pretty well but don't
expect the elegant performance of a good road brake or even a good
cantilever. The V-brakes were never designed for road bikes. I use mine
only because a really good cantilever brake is just not available any
longer so far as I am aware. The effort to activate the brakes is higher
than normal but not, at least to me, objectionable.

Colin Blackburn
July 24th 03, 09:18 AM
In article >, usenet-
says...
> I have V-Brakes on my touring bike and I can assure you they were the
> very devil to get working properly. My touring frame is a Cannondale and
> I am not sure if there is anything technically different between these
> frames like cable routing, bosses, whatever. My answer also assumes a
> standard road handlebar rather than a ATB bar. I have also not worked
> with a mini V-brake but I don't think there is a huge material
> difference between them and the one I use. I could be wrong.
[detailed points snipped]

The mini-v brakes are technically different, they don't require as much
cable pull as standard v-brakes and thus are directly suited to STI
levers without any adjustments or attachments.

Colin

chris French
July 24th 03, 09:19 AM
In message >, Houckster
> writes
> My touring frame is a Cannondale and
>I am not sure if there is anything technically different between these
>frames like cable routing, bosses, whatever. My answer also assumes a
>standard road handlebar rather than a ATB bar.

The OP was talking a bout a Brompton, this is flat handle barred folding
bike. I can't see that you could fit V brakes to one with out first
having mountings brazed on for them though.

>It is a pity that really good cantilever brakes are difficult to find
>these days because the V-brakes are not that much better than a
>cantilever brakes.

Apparently Shimano are going to start making a cantilever brake again
(got this from either thee CTC rag or Velovision).

I've heard good reports here about the Avid ones.

--
Chris French, Leeds

Dave Larrington
July 24th 03, 10:16 AM
W K wrote:

> If anyone made V-levers for drop bars they'd probably work well.
> With the right levers, they're easier to set up than cantis and can
> deal with more abuse.

As Houckster said, Dia Compe /do/ make drop-bar V-brake levers. I have a
set on my drop-bar touring bike, which originally had cantilevers from the
late Bronze Age (1985) fitted. The V-brakes - Avids - are far from
satisfactory as the lever seems to bottom too readily. I may be obliged to
invest in a couple of those Travel Agent doofers. The cheap and cheerful
Shimano V's on the MTB are shedloads better, though neither is anything like
as good as discs...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Mike Draper
July 24th 03, 10:11 PM
On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:37:11 +0100, Colin Blackburn
> wrote:

>I was looking at getting some of those outland mini-v brakes for my
>tourer and it set me wondering what sort of v-brakes would be suitable
>for a Brompton. Does the Brompton caliper brake system pull enough cable
>for a standard v-brake or would it need something like the mini-v
>brakes? Whatever is required are there any with a suitable form-factor
>for the Brompton?
>
>Cheers,
>
>Colin

If you're bothered about the rather pathetic brakes on the Mk 2
Brompton, a viable option is to fit the Mk 3 brakes. There's an
upgrade kit available for about £30. Made a big difference to my bike.

I'd be a bit concerned that V brakes might be a bit too powerful for a
Brompton - when braking hard I sometimes get the feeling that I'm
close to going over the handlebars. If I had V brakes I might just
pull a bit too hard in an emergency.

Mike

Remove socks before replying.

Steve Watkin
July 24th 03, 11:02 PM
It's been done by Steve Parry of Weston Super Mare, try google cos he does
lots of "B" bits, or via "Velo Vision" or "A to B" Mag
Or it may be:-
SPbicycles
E-mail Address(es):

SW

..
"Colin Blackburn" > wrote in message

> I was looking at getting some of those outland mini-v brakes for my
> tourer and it set me wondering what sort of v-brakes would be suitable
> for a Brompton. Does the Brompton caliper brake system pull enough cable
> for a standard v-brake or would it need something like the mini-v
> brakes? Whatever is required are there any with a suitable form-factor
> for the Brompton?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Colin

Colin Blackburn
July 25th 03, 09:39 AM
In article >,
says...
> On Wed, 23 Jul 2003 09:37:11 +0100, Colin Blackburn
> > wrote:
>

> >I was looking at getting some of those outland mini-v brakes for my
> >tourer and it set me wondering what sort of v-brakes would be suitable
> >for a Brompton. Does the Brompton caliper brake system pull enough cable
> >for a standard v-brake or would it need something like the mini-v
> >brakes? Whatever is required are there any with a suitable form-factor
> >for the Brompton?
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >Colin
>
> If you're bothered about the rather pathetic brakes on the Mk 2
> Brompton, a viable option is to fit the Mk 3 brakes. There's an
> upgrade kit available for about £30. Made a big difference to my bike.

I have a Mk3, I'm just curious.

Colin

Google

Home - Home - Home - Home - Home